Kohler 23 hp EFI on Cheetah starts cold but not hot

JeffH

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Cheetah with about 800 hrs on the engine. It starts like a champ cold and runs beautifully. If I kill it after an hour or so of use, it must cool back down before it starts again. Anybody have an idea of what could be causing this?

Cheers,
Jeff

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Dirty cooling fins on engine, remove blower housing & clean by hand, shop vac, etc. Do not use water.

JeffH

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the reply. The housing was removed and not much was needed to clean, only a few leaves and such. I'll give it a go in a few days for a late year mow.

Jeff

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
An EFI engine has electronic and computer controls that operate the fuel injection system along with an electric fuel pump to provide fuel at a higher pressure which the EFI system needs to function.
These systems usually have a way of showing trouble codes which indicate the part of the system that may not be functioning correctly.
A servicing dealer should have the means of diagnosing the engine with a lap top.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
EFI dates back a ways. If you are a diy'er consider obtaining the factory issue of fault codes and (possible ) troubleshooting trees. In some ways these faults are fun to tackle. If such charts are unavailable to the owner/operator shame on the manufacturer :laughing:

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
I was looking thru the service manual for the ECV730 Kohler. Two EFI systems were used and of course two different troubleshooting charts.
Never have been a fan of EFI on a mower engine, but I go back to the late 50s in small engine and other stuff relative to engine maintenance.
In 1970 I spent a week at carb school in Boston, MA. Covered the Quadrajet, the Carter and Rochester carb lines. Who would have thought carb school could take a week! Holley and Ford carb school was later the same year but only 2 1/2 days again in Boston, MA where there is always ample parking and reasonably priced hotels!!!
In a very basic EFI realm, crankshaft position sensor, throttle position sensor, O2 sensor, fuel injector(s), electronic control module, high pressure fuel supply and the related wiring are additional items are needed above an engine with a carb.
Oh well!!!!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Welcome to the future Mack.
By 2025 all of the mowers down down here will have to be EFI to meet emission requirements.
I would expect California to come in a bit earlier, unless pres Trump over rides them.

Jeff.
If it won't start when hot then one of the heat sensors is playing up, or dirty .
I can't find the service manual for that engine but from memory there is one in the air cleaner and one in the head.

RDA.Lawns

Threads
When it gets to the point where all you can buy is efi. I'll buy the latest model without efi and run it until its dead. Did that last year on a new tractor I bought. No clean idle bs on it hope for 10 years or more service out of it .

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just looking thru the ECV730 service manual, I see a TMAP sensor and an oil temp sensor, if fault codes can be read, either one of these sensors may show up with a code as it appears to be a temp related problem with the OPs Cheetah.
Fairly good service manual having just done a quick scan of it.
I did a fair amount of diagnosis and repair of auto/light truck electronics years back in addition to mechanical and electronic diesel work. The fuel injection systems on aircraft engines are basic mechanical and adjusted by the pilot based on instrument readings. I retired as an aircraft mech and then stepped up to doing lawn care and odd jobs on my schedule, well, my schedule and the weathers schedule!!! :laughing:

Last edited: