The Daily Yardman Thread

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Re: MTD Yardman Transaxle Rebuild

And I know they HAD to be put out of service because of WHAT you sent into the galley exhaust fan !! (LOL )

Boo,

I assure you that I had nothing to do with it! We had charcoal filters on the inboard vents for the sanitary tanks, so that anytime we had to blow the schitt tanks when we were submerged, we could count on those charcoal filters to 'purify' the air when it was bled off into the boat.. Number 2 sanitary tank held over 600 gallons of, . . well I'm sure you can imagine what it held, . . being as you are full of it!! . . LOL!! As I recall the charcoal filter was about 12" in diameter and maybe 16" long... More than adequate to remove any 'lingering' odors', . . right??? . . . Wrong! And to make matters worse, that vent was right in the After Battery where we had our meals! We used to stand up on the bench seat below that filter when it was being vented inboard, and take deep breaths while beating on our chests... Ahhh there is no smell like the inside of a vintage diesel submarine... They didn't call them Pig Boats for nothing!

Rog

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

Boo,

I assure you that I had nothing to do with it! We had charcoal filters on the inboard vents for the sanitary tanks, so that anytime we had to blow the schitt tanks when we were submerged, we could count on those charcoal filters to 'purify' the air when it was bled off into the boat.. Number 2 sanitary tank held over 600 gallons of, . . well I'm sure you can imagine what it held, . . being as you are full of it!! . . LOL!! As I recall the charcoal filter was about 12" in diameter and maybe 16" long... More than adequate to remove any 'lingering' odors', . . right??? . . . Wrong! And to make matters worse, that vent was right in the After Battery where we had our meals! We used to stand up on the bench seat below that filter when it was being vented inboard, and take deep breaths while beating on our chests... Ahhh there is no smell like the inside of a vintage diesel submarine... They didn't call them Pig Boats for nothing!

Rog

LINGERING !! you mean like this thread ....( LOL ) This thread should be renamed ..The ENERGIZER BUNNY !!
reminds me of a pocket calculator I bought at Radio-Shack about 20 or so years ago ...it was one of the first "credit-card" wafer thin calc's available . It was powered with a "new" "Lithium" battery and back-up Solar pad
had kept it in a drawer for years but it never failed to work... had to set it in a light source for a short time BUT it ALWAYS was there ...ready to work...LINGERING .... sorta like us and this thread ..Ha,Ha,Ha......

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads

LINGERING .... sorta like us ..Ha,Ha,Ha......

Boo,

Yep old buddy, you got it.. We're just lingering... or maybe malingering! I think that's more like it..

Great day yesterday! The "MARY E", a schooner built in Bath, Maine in 1906 returned to the yard as a new acquisition for the Maritime Museum and for a refit. Hundreds of folks showed up to see her come around Doubling Point in the Kennebec River and make her way to her berth. She was under full sail and had also emptied out her flag hamper, as flags of all sorts flew from the rigging. She was welcomed back to port by a cannon, which was fired unexpectedly from the shore and caused several dozen spectators to check their shorts immediately there-after.

Here's the news report: http://www.pressherald.com/2017/04/23/maine-built-1906-schooner-returns-to-bath/

I was standing in the crowd on the dock to the left, just off her stern in the picture.

Rog

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

When I looked ... I saw you standing by the Bandstand ...where the Beach-Boys were singin
that song ... "The Sloop John B" ... ( LOL ) ..:laughing: ..:cool2:

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

OK guys listen -up....

TEST ..this coming Sat. 6:00 A.M. ..... 150 questions ..multiple choice !!

Test will cover the following material .. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MTD_Products

I suggest you skip the USUAL Friday night " activities " ...(watchin you like a hawk N Bama ) ( LOL )

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
MTD Test

Boo,

I 'think' that MTD stands for "Motors That Don't".... And I'll tell you about my Sea Foam experience from yesterday in just a minute...

OK, so this test is going to be 150 questions.. Actually you could ask just ONE question and it could have 150 different answers! here it is: How many product names does MTD produce?

Or how about this question: How many companies has MTD bought out and adsorbed? MTD is like a great big company eating machine!!

OK - Sea Foam: I finally got to fill one of my 5 Gal containers with fresh gas yesterday. So I decanted (like wine) some into a little 1 Gal container and added an ounce of Sea Foam to it. Then I put some treated fuel in the MTD tank and connected the battery and then cranked it up for the first time this year. It started right up and after it had run for a little bit I opened up the air cleaner and poured a little Sea Foam into the air intake. Nothing seemed to happen so I poured in some more, still nothing, so in went some more and then suddenly the engine coughed and a great cloud of smoke came out.. LOTS of smoke, so all that I'd added must have gone in at once. The engine continued to run, so I did it several more times. Then I took the Yardman for a run around the block. I ran it for over an hour. It will now idle smoothly for as long as I leave it running. However, it still gets into the 'surges' at WOT. I noticed that if I advance the throttle just a tiny bit more (which starts to close the choke) the engine would immediately smooth out. Of course if I choked it too much it would start to die, but it seems to like just a tiny bit of choke.. What do you think that means?

It does run better, but I realize that running an hours worth of Sa Foam through it isn't going to fix it, but maybe continued operation will eventually cure it, what do you think?

Rog

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads

One of the little holes in the carb is partially blocked. When I clean a carb I use stranded copper wire to run through the holes to get any thing in there out.

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads

One of the little holes in the carb is partially blocked. When I clean a carb I use stranded copper wire to run through the holes to get any thing in there out.

Blaze,

I'm kinda hopin' that the Sea Foam will dissolve whatever it is that's crudding up the carb.. Am I dreamin'?

Rog

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
The Sloop John B - - 'er I mean the Schooner Mary E

Boo,

John B, .. .. Mary E, .. .. these old fellas didn't have much imagination when it came to ships names did they?

I finally got the picture from my buddy who was there with me when she came in.

She's looking pretty good for being 111 years old!!

Rog

Attachments

• Mary E (2).JPG
    Mary E (2).JPG
    153.5 KB · Views: 5

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

Blaze,

I'm kinda hopin' that the Sea Foam will dissolve whatever it is that's crudding up the carb.. Am I dreamin'?

Rog

Go ahead ...just be lazy .. you can live with it ... just like a broken shoe-lace ..or a cracked windshield..
broken hose-bib handle... loud muffler ... it's OK ...no ... really Rog ... it's OK !!!! ( LOL )

WOW .... Holy Cowabunga It's Friday ... 3:57 P.M. leave that go till Monday ... It's Party Time YEEAAHH
We ALL ....know THAT story !!! ....:cool2::banana::drink::dance1: ..:laughing: