The Daily Yardman Thread

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Re: MTD Yardman Transaxle Rebuild

Is this fella SUPPOSED to be a friend ... or a BROTHER with a severe handicap ...???
Sounds to me like you should RE-schedule the project ...till AFTER Becky has a set of twins !!! ... ( yeah-RIGHT )
Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda ...stopped by his place , on the way TO Fl. .......BEFORE the vacation and had a
look-see to discuss his plans & preparations. AHhhhh such is life .... :confused2: ..:mur: ..:rolleyes:

And to think you coulda stayed in SUNNY Fl. going to the wooden boats show & Flea Market !! Which reminds me...
at the "market" this guy a a 16 foot open trailer loaded with about 300 OUTBOARD motors they all need repairs many alike .. some from the 50s & 60s piled all together with spare parts , manuals and small marine junk ...WHOLE package including the trailer ....= $ 4000.00 OR B.O. ...!!
Guess the wife made him clean out his barn ...OYY VAAAY ...Suuuch a Deeeel ..!! ( LOL ) ..Boobala..:cool:

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Toro 520 WheelHorse

Yeah, yeah, the building project didn't unfold exactly as I thought it might, but he's got this old Toro that he had to haul the entire steering mechanism out of because it was so badly worn. Parts of which were so solidly 'made' together that he had to cut the shaft that runs between the steering wheel and the frame mounted quadrant drive. Then he discovered that the hole in the quadrant drive that the end of the steering wheel shaft fit into was badly worn, so he got that hole filled in with weld and ordered a new steering shaft. That arrived a couple days ago, (almost $300!!!) and we carefully matched the angle of the steering shaft and drilled out the filled-in-hole at the proper (we hope) angle. The shaft is supposed to be 1/2" but wouldn't quite slip into the 1/2" drilled hole. So we carefully worked it out to 17/32" and the rod tip slipped in.

Now we are deep into putting everything back together. Like I said before, all with no drawings or photos.. Fun!!!........

Roger

Attachments

• DSCN1911.jpg
    DSCN1911.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCN1912.jpg
    DSCN1912.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 5

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Toro Steering Quadrant Drive

As I have coined the term "Quadrant Drive" I thought I ought to take a picture of it so you guys would really know what I'm talking about.

It's the black mechanism in the picture. You can see the angled hole in the top that we had to drill out to 17/32". What it does is convert motion from the steering wheel via the 'expensive' shaft to the bevel cut gear, which turns a short horizontal shaft inside the black housing with a spur gear on it's end, that in turn operates a quadrant gear that turns a longer horizontal shaft that runs forward and moves a pie shaped plate that pushes and pulls the two tie-rods.

I don't know if that makes any sense, but that's what we're working on today..

Roger

Attachments

• DSCN1917.jpg
    DSCN1917.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 6

NorthBama

Threads

Hello Roger
I like these picture better than shed build. Carry on gents

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

NO GUARANTEES to ying-yangs that DON'T provide a complete model, serial, & type number of Mower & Engine
that is under investigation !!

There is a Bill of Laughing attached to this NASTY-GRAM also a charge to your bank accounts ( all of em )

https://data2.manualslib.com/pdf3/75/7415/741402-toro/520xi.pdf?563d10435c3713fc889e4a4f8e8fbdc6

http://www.mywheelhorse.com/graphic...r_1978_b-c-d-seriesservicemanual_810063rl.pdf

https://lookup3.toro.com/request/request.cfm

This should get ya's started .........

when ya get through fiddle-fartin around ...send me the info.... :cool2::banana: ..:mur: ..:laughing:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

Sheds on farms = 2 or more shipping containers with a roof slung between.
Simple, quick , easy.
Pour a slab between them if you want.
The 3 container , 40' + 2 x 20' in a U shape works well and again you can pour a slab on the enclosed space.
I have also seen 2x 20' with a 6' gap between, door to door then another 20 at each end to make the side walls
We are nett importers of containers here so they send a lot of buggered ones here, one way so old containers are fairly cheap.

Pumper54

Threads

Bert,
Lots of old containers around the Houston Texas area, (big seaport) I have seen them set up like you described and also seen them stacked two high to form a "high-rise" housing unit with storage below. Many ways to use them.
How are things 'down under"?

Tom

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

Bert,
Lots of old containers around the Houston Texas area, (big seaport) I have seen them set up like you described and also seen them stacked two high to form a "high-rise" housing unit with storage below. Many ways to use them.
How are things 'down under"?

Tom

Tom & Bert..... you fellas don;t realize , we don't have all those WIDE OPEN SPACES like ya'll do.
Plus containers here in Central Fl. ( Ocala,Fl. area ) go for abot $1500.00 to $2500.00 for a 20 foot and double that for a 40 foot ....... depending on condition of course... plus we have zoning dept. rules, inspectors, taxes, permits, more inspections, some areas have Home Owners Assoc., then some have neighbors they'd love to shoot !!
Yes there are plenty of places around here that have acreage ( or square miles for that matter ) and some do use the containers but most use regular steel buildings or pole barns and sheds .....all it takes is MONEY !!! :2cents: ..Boobala

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Container construction

Bert-Man,

I agree! I love building stuff out of "left-overs"! (Including dinner!) My buddy has a fairly decent stack of super heavy duty pallets 5'X8'x6", planked with close set 1" planks.. Real rugged.. That was what we were "supposed" to use for the basic construction of this 'work-shop', that hasn't come into fruition. I still think that using them on a concrete slab would be great, but currently he's leaning towards a steel building. We'll see...

We didn't do anymore on the Toro today.. (Thanks for all the websites Boo-Boo...) we're going to hit it again tomorrow. Then we're out of here on Sunday and heading back towards good old Maine.. The weather channel says there is a snow storm going to hit the North East on Saturday, but I figure it should be well out to sea by Monday.

Spring has sprung here in North Carolina, buds on the trees, a few early flowers, warmer days.. We got to watch what serves as "Spring" open up in Florida a month ago and now we'll get to go home and watch Spring come again in Maine... (About mid to late May.) Snow won't last long...

Happy April Fools tomorrow....

Roger

Jack17

Threads

I'm not sure if you all noticed but this horse has died a long time ago...please stop the molestation of a dead horse...or I'll call PETA on ya'll.