The Daily Yardman Thread

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Re: MTD Yardman Transaxle Rebuild

No I was actually a "wet chemist" for an environmental analytical laboratory but only for a year. After that I moved to their environmental consulting and engineering division. I did that there and at 2 other firms until 2001. Hydrogeologist, environmental auditor and my last position as a senior environmental scientist. Mostly dealt with investigation and cleanup of commercial and industrial properties but did some clean water work for water companies too. Some wastewater stuff and permit related stuff too, lead and asbestos, hazardous waste managent. All that fun stuff. Loved it when I was junior level and in the field a lot but once I got stuck in an office managing projects most of the time it sucked. So now I mow lawns, LMAO.

Sounds interesting
Inorganic pollutants or organics, BOD's and all that sort of stuff.
I spent 6 years part time in an assay lab ( foundry ) and loved every minute of it .

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads

Little of everything really. Plenty of petroleum products from gas stations, tank farms, truck terminals etc. Chlorinated hydrocarbons (degreasers)at manufacturing facilities and dry cleaners. Heavy metals from manufacturing too. Lots of ground water monitoring at landfills. Lots of dig and haul soil cleanups. Lots of pump and treat ground water remediation. My last position was mostly investigations. All the environmental site assessments for Fleet Bank for our Connecticut, Massachusetts, Vermont and New Hampshire offices funneled through me. Mostly dealing with bankers, attorneys and developers on pending real estate deals. Basically I was the guy stuck in the middle screwing up everything for everyone and always asking for more time and more money. It's a service nobody ever really wants, never seems to have an end and rarely makes anyone happy...only the investors we helped get distressed properties for pennies on the dollar were happy. Very stressful trying to juggle all the projects, staff, subcontractors and interests of the various parties involved.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

When Union Carbide exited Australia, they gave the land that the factory stood on to the local council.
All of the soil to a depth of 10' needed to be burned.
Eventually they built 20 high rise apartment blocks on the land and they still made a loss on the clean up costs.
One of the products was the base fr some agricultural posion used in the USA.
It was so toxic that it had to be transported in 1liter containers made from spent uranimun so if it dropped from 40,000' and landed on some thing solid the container would not burst.
IATA would not insure Union Carbide for any more than 1 container to be in the air at any one time.
We did 12 shipments a week.
Organic chemistry is not my bag bt I can muddle my way through it but for the life of me I could not work out what was in the flasks apart from the fact it was built around a 10 atom carbon ring, with a lot of rings running off it ending with a flourine

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads

Views: 222,295

Total views 908

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads

Morning Ted
sunrise 39.jpg

Morning all you stayers.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

Good Mornin Chuck ! ..... YESS.jpg

Of course a Good Mornin to ALL you Cling-on's ...and you 2 Darryl !! ..:laughing: .......... mechanic.jpg

Thought 4 2day : .. https___s3_amazonaws_com_tanga-images_94betjf5r8q6.png

Fw__Morning_coffee____(2).gif

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

I forgot to include Darrel as he is a newbie. I like to be all inclusive so he will be mentioned from now on.

Man you should see the HUGE wart he's got on the end of his nose , N ... he's got "boogers" hangin out of it too

Copy of Copy of IMG_20150531_171258294_HDR.jpg

ALSO.. " inclusive " ..... uhhh Chuck are YOU goin "LIBERAL" WOW !!! .. I don't wanna know THAT !!!

Saw on TV yesterday (2/23/2018) Perdue University (Writing Lab) wants to entirly eliminate the word ..MAN.. as it's OFFENSIVE !! NO MORE, ..mail-man, door-man, craftsman, weatherman, etc. etc. , you get the picture ! SO,.. I think instead of MAN ... AND .. woMAN we could just use .. PR*** .. and .. C*** .. They should like "those" words and they're a perfect descriptor of the "a**-holes !