The Daily Yardman Thread

primerbulb120

Threads
Re: MTD Yardman Transaxle Rebuild

Quantum is what I'm running. It is fast. When I come up with something to compare it to, I will let you know.

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads

Quantum is what I'm running. It is fast. When I come up with something to compare it to, I will let you know.

I "upgraded" to FF Quantum last seek.
I don't notice much difference.
I STILL cannot change my Lowe's preferred store. (Other sites as well......)
Something in my ISP tells FF that I am way farther north than I am.
Try as I may, I have not been able to fix this situation.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

Wife's puter just dowloaded FF Quantum, WOW ! sure did change the homepage around from her previous version ! I stated foolin with it, seems OK, but her puter needs a system reset, it's slow now and she needs to just unload all the garbage,
(actually I get to do that) hundreds of emails, hundreds of downloads,etc. etc. the girls a hoarder !! There's a program out that makes Win 10 look like the old Win 7 so she wants me to install that, her printer took a "dump" so I have to fix that, then Friday, I SHOULD (maybe) have MY new puter and my new router to set-up, the office is in deeeeeep schitt!! ..:confused2: ..:confused3:..:mur:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

Bert - In defense of today's (and yesterday's!!) service persons, I have never heard of or used a 'Speedi-Sleeve'. If they were factory trained, then they would have been trained to replace worn out parts with OEM parts, not to think outside the box like a bunch of old lawnmower repairmen (and women). I remember one old Westinghouse laundromat that a customer had who refused to replace the machine even after parts were no longer available for it. I had several short stainless steel screws with "O"-rings and waterproof cement screwed into tiny holes that had rusted through the sump to keep the damn thing from leaking. She - like Bert, was a frugal old bird... Nothing wrong with that! However, maintaining old things that are no longer supported with spare parts is what makes service persons flexible and adaptive, not factory training.. The knowledge you are referring to, like much else, comes with age and experience..

Roger

Gees Roger I would have thought the US navy would have been big users of speedi sleeves.
I use them all the time a lot cheaper & more space efficient than keeping an inventory of shafts.
Originally designed for slurry pumps in mines outback then rapidly adopted by the chemical processing industry.
A God send for us vintage motorcycle repairers, so much cheaper than making a new shaft or welding then grinding an old one.

As for "parts fitting" had a bloke come in with an old MTD, the MTD shop wanted $ 900 to fix his deck, new pulleys and new hangers & linkages.
I fitted a belt 1" shorter and adjusted the deck throw ( moving deck belt tensioning ) for $ 120.
They quoted him a month to 6 weeks because all the parts had to come by ship from the USA I did it for him that afternoon.
It was a 1999 mower and probably has another 3 - 4 years left in the old engine which is a bit on the smokey side.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

So it looks like someone hacked my amazon account, so now I need to spend some time at the bank getting that fixed.......it's pretty sad that the bank software could not stop the same $62.25 charge to my account 18 times in one day!!!!!! I check my account online every morning, and that is what I saw just moments ago.........

One of the bods I ride with did the security on NSW drivers license computer.
It has never been hacked into despite getting attacked up to 100 times a day ( it logs all of these and keeps the hackers busy while it attempts to identify the hackers ) and has sucessfully identified hundreds of would be hackers many of which got a visit by the "hutt hutt" boys in the middle of the night as hacking a government compute is defined as a terrorist activity down here.
Anyway he does not have an electronic bank account and pays all his bills over the counter or by cheques.
One of his favourite sayings is "when the banks offer real security I will deal with them electronically".
As for automatically paying bills with your credit cards , same story, just look at all of the billing entities who get hacked , almost a daily occurence and "convienence" is not having to change bank accounts, passwords and all the other crap that goes with having your personnal & financial details stolen.

When I had the courier business one of my regular jobs was swapping over the dongles for my customers bank accounts.
So if you have $ 5,000,000 or more in an Aus bank, the bank will allow you to use a security dongle ( cost is $ 3.50 for the dongle ). My business bank spent $ 43,000,000 last year on internet fraud most of which could have been avoided by issuing dongles to all customers, not rocket science.

My credit union ( personal banking ) uses 2 level security on any third party withdrawal over $ 200 and that cost is 1 sms to me

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

Well gang, hopefully this Black Friday I'll have a new puter to replace my ol faithful 10 year old ( VISTA ) dinosaur, NOW I'll have to learn Win 10, Schitt, I was just gettin warmed-up on Vista, ( LOL ) Wifey up-graded from 7 to 10 on hers, awhile back, (free) but it sucks, to much B/S in the way and file handling is a PITA, it's probably just us, but we have our pictures, and some other things in several different places, we're used to going to the "pictures" folder (and others) and everything is in one place, and you could create your own separate folders and move things to where you wanted, I know there are work-arounds but re-learning schitt is so time consuming, I think they should have stayed with Win 7 and kept improving THAT platform, Maybe I'll do a Recovery on this dinosaur, then remove all the programs and garbage that came with it and just keep it off the net and use it to manipulate all my flash-drive files and store things, we shall see !

View attachment 34901 ... HOPEFULLY !!

Now lets think,
I bought the Quadra (28040 chip ) back in 1994 and I still use it for all the word processing , writing spread sheets & business book keeping.
It still processes much faster than I can type and running Semantic Greatworks it is the backbone of my system running Mac OS 9.5.9 Upgaded from native OS 6 .
The "Evil Empire" bought Greatworks from Semantic which they mutilated, took all of the security features out of it then renamed it Microsloth Works to counter Apple Works.

Once it was obsolete I bought the G3 upgrade processor card so it now runs even faster then an extra memory board which I filled with 1G of ram.
Thus I can now run Photoshop 4 on a virtual disc ( ram disc ) and that is so fast it is not funny if not a bit tedious as automation is not available on Ps4.
Once I tossed all of the microsloth softwear out oof the Quadra it has never crashed or hung and is on 24/7 except when a hard drive fails.

Failing drives is no problem because it runs Soft Raid 2 ( free download ) with a 4 way mirror using 2 internal drives & 2 external drives.
The external drives are my back up / archive drives so only 1 is ever plugged in at any time.
Soft Raid recognises that the drives are out of sync then automatically updates the drive which was unplugged

When I got the first digital camera I had to upgrade to something that had a RISC chip native as the camera would not talk to the Quadra so I bought a 2nd hand obsolete G4 mac also running 9.5 which I ran till 2005 when support for HTML 2 was dropped so it could no longer load web pages, thus the G4 sits there and gets used when I do a lot of graphics as it has Photoshop CS2 on it which was a free download when Adobe decided to drop support for that. This was $ 3000 worth of graphics softwear I got for free because Adobe wanted to shut down a server, love this stuff.
The G4 has a lot of free softwear on it as a lot of companies gave away the complete old OS 9 native versions as demos when OS 10 came out.
Thus this machine has $ 36,000 of free softwear that works perfectly well on it.

The computer I write this on is a old I mac running 10.5 which I will shortly be upgrading to 10.7 ( free upgrade) as Drop Box is going to drop support for 10.5 in January .

AS for printers there is an old Hp 8550 I got 5 years ago for $ 100 with $ 2000 worth of tonner which is the back bone of my printing side line ( I reprint old manuals & owners handbooks ) and the only downside is it uses a wack of power & I have to run 500 pages a month through it or the transfer drum goes bad. This is not that much of a problem as being obsolete new drums are every where for 1/4 of the original Hp price. I just bought 4 tonner catridges for $ 100 total which is around 100,000 pages and that is cheaper than a crappy domestic inkjet.
The inkjets are all Epson stylus colour 3000's with 500ml bulk tanks which I pick up for $ 100 -$ 200 then spend anything up to a year cleaning out the printheads.
They are only 4 colour machines but do very good prints up to 17" wide ( rolls ) which again I sell (reprints of old posters).

So if you are battling with Microsloth products you have my deepest sympathy.
They are deliberately made confusing so that users will just use the default settings which allows microsloth to interrogate your computer at will and nothing on it is ever safe.

Part of the security upgrade the RMS made was to switch from Windoze to Linux.
The staff objected violently to using this foreign system but after a year or so they were all using Linux at home.
Same thing happened when they installed the Mac lamps which were scheduled for a 5 year turn over.
They were there for 12 years and only got upgraded because they went to full fiber networking.
And the staff went on strike when the announcement was made, they all wanted to keep the old macs.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

Now lets think,
I bought the Quadra (28040 chip ) back in 1994 and I still use it for all the word processing , writing spread sheets & business book keeping.
It still processes much faster than I can type and running Semantic Greatworks it is the backbone of my system running Mac OS 9.5.9 Upgaded from native OS 6 .
The "Evil Empire" bought Greatworks from Semantic which they mutilated, took all of the security features out of it then renamed it Microsloth Works to counter Apple Works.

Once it was obsolete I bought the G3 upgrade processor card so it now runs even faster then an extra memory board which I filled with 1G of ram.
Thus I can now run Photoshop 4 on a virtual disc ( ram disc ) and that is so fast it is not funny if not a bit tedious as automation is not available on Ps4.
Once I tossed all of the microsloth softwear out oof the Quadra it has never crashed or hung and is on 24/7 except when a hard drive fails.

Failing drives is no problem because it runs Soft Raid 2 ( free download ) with a 4 way mirror using 2 internal drives & 2 external drives.
The external drives are my back up / archive drives so only 1 is ever plugged in at any time.
Soft Raid recognises that the drives are out of sync then automatically updates the drive which was unplugged

When I got the first digital camera I had to upgrade to something that had a RISC chip native as the camera would not talk to the Quadra so I bought a 2nd hand obsolete G4 mac also running 9.5 which I ran till 2005 when support for HTML 2 was dropped so it could no longer load web pages, thus the G4 sits there and gets used when I do a lot of graphics as it has Photoshop CS2 on it which was a free download when Adobe decided to drop support for that. This was $ 3000 worth of graphics softwear I got for free because Adobe wanted to shut down a server, love this stuff.
The G4 has a lot of free softwear on it as a lot of companies gave away the complete old OS 9 native versions as demos when OS 10 came out.
Thus this machine has $ 36,000 of free softwear that works perfectly well on it.

The computer I write this on is a old I mac running 10.5 which I will shortly be upgrading to 10.7 ( free upgrade) as Drop Box is going to drop support for 10.5 in January .

AS for printers there is an old Hp 8550 I got 5 years ago for $ 100 with $ 2000 worth of tonner which is the back bone of my printing side line ( I reprint old manuals & owners handbooks ) and the only downside is it uses a wack of power & I have to run 500 pages a month through it or the transfer drum goes bad. This is not that much of a problem as being obsolete new drums are every where for 1/4 of the original Hp price. I just bought 4 tonner catridges for $ 100 total which is around 100,000 pages and that is cheaper than a crappy domestic inkjet.
The inkjets are all Epson stylus colour 3000's with 500ml bulk tanks which I pick up for $ 100 -$ 200 then spend anything up to a year cleaning out the printheads.
They are only 4 colour machines but do very good prints up to 17" wide ( rolls ) which again I sell (reprints of old posters).

So if you are battling with Microsloth products you have my deepest sympathy.
They are deliberately made confusing so that users will just use the default settings which allows microsloth to interrogate your computer at will and nothing on it is ever safe.

Part of the security upgrade the RMS made was to switch from Windoze to Linux.
The staff objected violently to using this foreign system but after a year or so they were all using Linux at home.
Same thing happened when they installed the Mac lamps which were scheduled for a 5 year turn over.
They were there for 12 years and only got upgraded because they went to full fiber networking.
And the staff went on strike when the announcement was made, they all wanted to keep the old macs.

Well Bert, every word you said, went over my head !! ..:laughing:..:laughing:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

Well Bert, every word you said, went over my head !! ..:laughing:..:laughing:

As you are playing with the products of the Evil Empire I am not surprised .
They feed on the ignorance of the people they milk money out of.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

EE.jpg

tg2.jpg

Hoping everybody has a GREAT day, AND ... a SAFE one !!

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads

Views: 132,599