The Daily Yardman Thread

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Re: MTD Yardman Transaxle Rebuild

Sorry OT
B O A T = "bring out a thousand" That's what it ends up costing every outing.

Bleach!!

I love that avatar of the young man learning to become an electrician! That was me about 70 years ago!! Now they have 'child-proof' receptacles that require two prongs enter the openings simultaneously! You can shove anything into just one opening.. Damn pity, probably keep youngsters from wanting to pursue the electrical trades... Once you've had the first "jolt" that sets you off doing the 60-cycle shuffle, you just can't get enough!

Roger..

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
70,000 views and counting!

Geez, you guys have been busy!

BOATS! To quote Water Rat: "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing — absolutely nothing — half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Simply messing... about in boats — or with boats. In or out of ’em, it doesn't matter. Nothing seems really to matter, that's the charm of it. Whether you get away, or whether you don't; whether you arrive at your destination or whether you reach somewhere else, or whether you never get anywhere at all, you're always busy, and you never do anything in particular; and when you've done it there's always something else to do, and you can do it if you like, but you'd much better not." BOATS - Ya gotta love 'em..

MOTORCYCLES! To the best of my knowledge there are no quotes as famous as the one above from "Wind in the Willows", that applies to motorcycles.. However, I do believe that if Kenneth Grahame had been exposed to one of the early Harley Davidson's, or Indians, or even a Thor, ("Wind in the Willows" was written in 1908) he might have paraphrased his famous lines and merely inserted the word "Motorcycles" in place of "Boats" and become doubly famous! MOTORCYCLES - Ya gotta love them too!

Roger

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

Mowers, trains, cars, boats, motorcycles, and bobsleds, etc. etc. etc. ! NOTHING !! comes close to the thrill of your first time in a small (spam-can) type AIRPLANE ! I had flown on commercial airlines and a few times in military aircraft. On one of those military escapades (due to being over gross maximum weight and it being above 90 deg. ) we used every inch of the runway, thought we might have some tree-tops clinging to the landing gear but luckily NOT !! one day a Navy buddy ??
convinced me to go up in a small Cessna 150 with him, anyway, once we started to climb, it's was very apparent as to how "small" we are in relationship to the geography below. I was really enjoying the flight until I realized how fragile this plane really was ! we hit a little turbulence and I was sure the wings would fall off, BOY that's a long way down at 6,000 feet, it looks like 10 miles ! all in all we did this a few more times over several weeks when I decided to get my private license, I got 5 lessons in when unexpected financial issues at home, ended my quest to fly like a bird . I really miss that thrill of actually taking off and landing ( by the way, I learned that a "landing" is nothing more than a "controlled-crash" and ANY landing that you walk away from is a "GOOD" landing ... AND if the plane is still in one piece.. it's a "GREAT" landing, I LUUUV AIRPLANES !! ..:thumbsup:..:thumbsup:

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads

I have flown a few times in some small crafts, latest I can remember was back in 1969 in one of those Cessna flight trainers with the open canopy.........but the flight that sticks to me the most was being plucked from the ocean by a coast guard chopper back in 1975 when my uncles boat was taking on water while we were fluke fishing.........my ears hurt for days, uncle Lewis got to watch his boat sink from the air, he was not a happy camper.

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads

I LUUUV AIRPLANES !! ..:thumbsup:..:thumbsup:

Geez Boo, I'm sorry, I left out airplanes! I was being self centered with my own loves. Women? YES!! Boats? Yes!! Motorcycles? Yes!! . . . . . But airplanes?? Not so much...

I have flown (rarely) on commercial planes.. I have flown on military aircraft - (not exciting jets, just M.A.C. flights) although the first one of those was exciting enough. When my son was born (1966) he had a birth defect that required immediate surgery and as he was born in Key West, the US Navy hospital there wasn't up to the task. He was born in February and the Navy hospital in Bethesda, MD was snowed in so we were flown to Lackland, TX to the children's wing of the Airforce hospital there. We were loaded into an old DC-3 (C-47) at around mid-night with no one else aboard except the crew and two male nurses and off we went across the Gulf of Mexico. The noise inside this thing was horrendous and around a hour after taking off it got worst. That was when a couple guys came into the passenger area and rigged a cargo net in front of the side loading doors. I asked what that was for and they informed me that the doors would not closed tightly (hence the high-pitched scream we could hear) and they were afraid they might blow open!! They didn't want anyone to fall out.. Being from the submarine service where 'doors' (hatches) are of paramount importance, I was NOT impressed!

I have also flown once in a small plane. And, no Boo, I haven't a clue what it was.. It had wings and an engine and it was actually noisier that the DC-3 had been! You had to wear VOX (voice) operated headphones in order to converse inside the minuscule cabin.. My best friend and hunting partner (who was also in the Air Force back in the day) was drawn for the Maine Moose Hunt that year. He happens to have his pilots license and wanted to fly up around Mattamiscontis and Little Mattamiscontis Mountains which were in the hunting area he was drawn in. For some dumb reason that I still don't understand, I volunteered to go with him. I got so airsick buzzing around mountain tops and diving into valleys looking for moose that he finally had to land in Millinocket to allow my guts some time to get right-side up! I have never and will never - EVER - get in a small plane again!

So, I am sorry Boo, but if you want glowing words of love for aircraft, you'll have to search Lindberg for suitable quotes..

"Take her down, take her deep, make your depth five-eight-feet." (Takes periscope depth for you non-bubbleheads. Well at least it was in the old Guppy III boats of yesteryear.)

Roger

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads

Uncle Lewis got to watch his boat sink from the air, he was not a happy camper.

Doc,

Watching your boat sink is never a happy day . . . Unless it is a submarine, cause they can come back up again! Remember, Any ship can be a submarine - Once!!

Rog

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

I have to admit the NAVY boys do have nerves of steel during times of crisis, even being on a SUPER-CARRIER it has to haunt those guys to think about a sub lurking unseen that could bring your ship down with all hands on board. Sure I know there's countermeasures in ALMOST every situation, but is it yours, that brings YOU home ?? God Bless em ALL !!

As for aircraft ?? with today's technology, I foresee UN-manned will be inevitable, maybe even obsolete, what we don't know, ... is "Star-Wars" in existance ??? HMMmmm

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
YOU'VE GOT MAIL !! - - MAYBE !

OK guys time to check your email, I just got several, but they're from posts awhile back ... HMMmmm

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

Now just so Boo Boo dosent get in a panic and send you all down here on a Bert hunt.
I am having week off
Going down to Melbourne for a week.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

Now just so Boo Boo dosent get in a panic and send you all down here on a Bert hunt.
I am having week off
Going down to Melbourne for a week.

UT OH !! the pint's will be flowing, and the sweeties in Melbourne better brace themselves ... Bert you stay away from the Tazmanian-Devils now !! ya hear !!

Hope you have an AWESOME time !!