The Daily Yardman Thread

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Re: MTD Yardman Transaxle Rebuild

AYYYYY...AYYYYY....AYYYYIIIIIIIIIIIIII it's cold outside, first time I've seen it this cold in Central Fl. I must be living right or something, in the home it's staying between 72 & 74 deg. and it's 23deg. outside, since the last cold spell I've learned a few things, last time I had my "stat" set at 76deg. and the heat-strips were kickin in constantly, so I lowered the stat to 74deg. and the heat-strips didn't come on, the heat pump is constantly going right now and cycling ( goes into it's de-frosting mode and blows cool /recirculated air then heats again ) if I put it up to 76 then the strips come on again, I can easily live with 72-74 deg I can't figure these things out, although I've read a ton of info on them, last Elect bill was $147.00 really not that bad considering I've got a 3/2 with over 1300 sq. ft. , but the highest bill for the past year, see below,

View attachment 35478

Anyway the weekend is SUPPOSED to start the warming trend ??? got the frost proof outside faucets (we'll see) and an old one, is set to drip, ( still to dark to see) hopefully everything is OK ! daylight will let me check the meter-flow, SOOOON !

ANYWAY I hope everybody is warm this frigid morning ...I guess if you're still warm & breathing, ..then it's a GOOD Morning

the-three-most-romantic-words-to-say-in-the-morning-coffee-is-ready.jpg...-Grumpy-cat-MEME-LOL-Funny-Pictures.jpg

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

Views: 184,056

OK ..OK .. So I'm late !!

I offer no acceptable excuse other than the fact that the lady that I keep warm in bed, refused to let me go this morn. ( ya can't blame me ) for keepin the wifey happy ! ( LOL )

A FRIGID GOOD Mornin, ... bean-counter ! .......YESS.jpg

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads
Re: Where is everybody?

Hey, it's dang near 5:30 and nobody is up yet! Boo may have froze to death, it's only 26*F here this AM and we're five miles out in the 'warm' Gulf waters.. Thanks heavens we aren't inland.. Oh bugger, I just looked and it's dropped down to 25*F. Remember, the darkest (and coldest) hour, is just before dawn!

Our water is still flowing, which is amazing as all piping is run above ground under the boardwalks that run between the buildings.

Nippy!!

Roger
up and out the door at 5 am...we had a mva with injuries, just got back

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads

AYYYYY...AYYYYY....AYYYYIIIIIIIIIIIIII it's cold outside, first time I've seen it this cold in Central Fl. I must be living right or something, in the home it's staying between 72 & 74 deg. and it's 23deg. outside, since the last cold spell I've learned a few things, last time I had my "stat" set at 76deg. and the heat-strips were kickin in constantly, so I lowered the stat to 74deg. and the heat-strips didn't come on, the heat pump is constantly going right now and cycling ( goes into it's de-frosting mode and blows cool /recirculated air then heats again ) if I put it up to 76 then the strips come on again, I can easily live with 72-74 deg I can't figure these things out, although I've read a ton of info on them, last Elect bill was $147.00 really not that bad considering I've got a 3/2 with over 1300 sq. ft. , but the highest bill for the past year, see below,

View attachment 35478

Anyway the weekend is SUPPOSED to start the warming trend ??? got the frost proof outside faucets (we'll see) and an old one, is set to drip, ( still to dark to see) hopefully everything is OK ! daylight will let me check the meter-flow, SOOOON !

ANYWAY I hope everybody is warm this frigid morning ...I guess if you're still warm & breathing, ..then it's a GOOD Morning

View attachment 35482...View attachment 35481
I had oil heat...hot water baseboard and a wood burning stove in the fire place....struggled to keep the house above 67° a couple weeks ago, house is well insulated but I do have some very large picture windows, any way our electric bill is about 165 bucks a month on average but last month it hit $260.....argh, my wife and here portable electric heaters

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads

I HAVE oil heat, for some reason I cant edit posts anymore

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads

Mornin', y'all..

17° here when I rose this morn.
Now, a nice toasty 22°
Gonna make it into the 40's today.....we may have to run the AC.

Our heat pump quits heatin' at about 34 or so.
I switch on the emergency heat strips.
I can see no point in letting the condenser unit run continuously, only to have the heat strips keep
kicking on and off cuz the HP isn't doing nuttin.........
Tuesday there was so much frozen mist in the air that the coil froze up at 43°.
So, over to emergency heat we went.

I am not looking forward to this month's electric bill.............

Anyway, just finished my bowl of steel oats, and finishing my 2nd cup of joe.....

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads

remember a few days ago I was complaining about how people are lazy and should never leave a hot coals can on the porch, well these are the photos from 1/15/2018

on scene at 5am, and total knock down by 10 am....nothing left..
dingsmans jan12018.jpg
26733640_3211733958845184_6775851787635179577_n.jpg
26733640_3211733958845184_6775851787635179577_n.jpg

this last photo is a shot of our tanker brigade, hooked inline with the main engine on scene

26731337_3211733948845185_1983106145044883476_n.jpg

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Re: Where is everybody?

up and out the door at 5 am...we had a mva with injuries, just got back

Now you have me interested.
Are you a regular , back -up or volunteer firey ?
Our regs stay in the station all night , till they get called out to a job and extra men come from the surrounding stations 1 appliance each.
The next stations out send an appliance to replace the one sent to back up the ones at the incident, thus extra men & machines are always no more than one station away.
Only the volunteers get called out from home but on a major incident the regs can end up pulling a double as it is more efficient to have those who were there from the start stay past shift change than to fully brief a fresh crew before hand over.

The penny pinchers are trying to bring in stay at home crews because it is cheaper to provide parking than running the station all night.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

View attachment 35478

View attachment 35482...View attachment 35481

Technology is not your strong suite is it Boo.
Chase up some one who does thermal imaging with a thermionic camera ( not infra red camera ) and have some thermigraphs done of your house to identify the heat leaks.
You will be surprised just where heat can escape. And heating up the enviroment around your house is very expensive.

Therimonics measure the wavelength of the light coming off an object so it can tell which ice cube is hotter where as infra red just measures the volume of heat and is no where as sensative.
After a lot of lobbying I got one of the foundries to use therimonics to monitor the heat of the flue gasses in the furnace ( metal melting furnace not house heater ) and use that to adjust the volume flow of the burners.
It payed for itself in 3 months and we got a longer life from the furnace lining. I was not there long enough to see if the next lining lasted longer as well.