The Daily Yardman Thread

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
Re: MTD Yardman Transaxle Rebuild

To the loyal one, that moves the beads of the abacus, ....... GOOD MORNING !

View attachment 35430

I sit here at 38deg., jones-ing for a coffee, but unable to do so while in a state of "FASTING"... going for blood test, so I guess it will be at least 4 more hours before I can even think of waking up. I am unable to function till my 3rd or 4th cup.

View attachment 35431

Good luck, Boobster...let us know if they find any..........
At any rate, I hope you studied REAL hard...

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads

pretty soon will be getting all my lawn equipment ready for spring, only 65 more days to go

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

Beginning to see a lot of mowers (riders) on C/L at the $100.00 mark, a few years back I thought of getting into the "flipping" of mowers but the cost of parts is getting way outa hand, and a lot of them (parts) are no longer available, when I refurbished my 3 Murray's it cost some big bucks, new spindles, belts, blades and brackets along with hardware ......well over $150.00 just in the deck, then the engine, possibly some used ( but worthy) tires, cleaning supplies etc. so it becomes kind of hard to sell once you put about $400.00 or more into a machine, most folks in this area pick up a fairly new ( but used) mower for around $500.00 to $800.00 BUT they want something no older than 4 or 5 years,most of these $100.00 machines are 10-20 years old and some I wouldn't even consider taking for free, I just keep MY machines maintained, and besides the wifey antagonizes when I have mower parts all over the place . BUT .... every once in awhile there's that "diamond in the rough" I just got to have !! ( LOL )

View attachment 35432

Rotary, Oregon, Prime Line & Stens are the mower repairers best friend.
As we are a tiny market and have 3 wholesalers who sell aftermarket parts to small independent mower repairers there must be some in a big market like the USA.
Shops like Jacks , M & C and Plano all offer trade prices if you have a tax number.
Then all you need to do is buy enough stuff like tools to keep the profit down so the tax liability is low.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

I do not have an issue with "GLOBAL-WARMING" as it is called. After all I have mowed all the way into November for the last 2 years. My issue is it is man made. Seeing a volcano eruption has more of the stuff we are trying to reduce than all of what man has created in our existence.

There is some truth in that,
However a volcano does not emit chloroflourocarbons into the atmosphere.
And the metals refining industry makes volcanos pale into insignificance.
I was a foundry metallurgist. While mostly I was in casting, I did spend 4 years with Sims who were refiners of scrap.
We pumped hundreds of tons of HCl & HF into the air every week, something that nature does not do.
The furnaces all burned bunker oil so again hundreds of tons of CO2 every week.

You need to go to a cast iron foundry during a carbon boil to get a real feel for just how much pollution we pump out daily.

Now us "civilised" folk don't like walking through smelly brown air so so we moved all these dirty factories to places like Brazil, India, The Phillipines & now China.
Then we did "pretend" stuff like putting emission restrictions on vehicles right down to joke things like emissions on lawn mowers to make it look like we were contributing to the clean up.

Now this worked for a while but there is only one atmosphere and all the schitt we put up in South America eventually gets to the USA & Australia.
At a public lecture I went to many years ago the speaker gave a good example.
"how many people can piss in your pool before it becomes a sewer"
"how many people can fart in a room before you have to leave it"
"the planet is a big room with a pool in it but we can not go outside for some fresh air"

It is all about balance.
One person pissing on a lemon tree will make it grow vigerously & produce abundant fruit, two people will make it even better, but 10 people pissing on it will kill it.
What nature does, like volcanos nature can handle as it has been doing it for millions of years.
What we do is a bit harder for nature to handle as we have only been doing it for thousands of years and we have gotten way out of balance with nature.
So it is either kill 75% of the people on the planet or clean up our own mess.

And the sun gets hotter every year and we get closer to it every year so the average temperature goes up every year.
But this happens very slowly and the planet adapts to it.
When it happens faster than the planet can adapt, we have the problem that we have right now and it will get worse unless we get our act cleaned up.
We are simultaneously creating more CO2 while at the same time removing the stuff that converts the CO2 into the stuff we breathe.
Even the biggest blithering idiot should be able to see that if we keep this up you get to the point that we are making more CO2 than the planet is making O2.

The very first time I profiled a furnace burner was 1978 and we did the calculations based on 23% oxygen which was the content in Sydney at sea level.
Now days they profile at 18% and most new plants have tanked oxygen because the air can not provide enough oxygen for the amount of heat needed.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

WELLLL as a young lad, ... I was taught ( OLD-SCHOOL ), the planet has "climatic evolutions" , ie. we have "ice-ages" & then "hot droughts" many, many hundreds of years apart, guesstimated from very deep soil samples and various archaeological finds, I just think about the GRAND CANYON !!
As you say, one good volcano eruption puts more contaminants into the atmosphere than mankind has EVER done, Al Gore & gang are making BILLIONS by selling Bull-scvhitt! ..:mad:

Boo,
You are so so wrong it is not funny.
Go to Pitsburg and talk to some of the long term residents , actually there will not be all that many cause Pitsburg had one of the shortest average life spans in the USA.
Just because you can not see it dos not mean it does not exist.
It is just a matter of the concentration.
A volcano erupting for a week is equivalent to 45 iron blast furnaces over a year for CO & CO2 emissions and there are around 3,000 blast furnaces in the world.
The sulphur emitted from a volcano erupting for a week is equivalent to 10 zinc roasters running for a year and there are over 1000 zinc roasters in the world.

I could go on till your eyes glaze over.
We remove sulphur from the air, ( remember acid rain ? ) in wet scrubbers which make Sulphuric acid which we then take into the middle of the Pacific ocean where it "accidentially" gets dumped into the water.
And this happens every day of the year. Less than 10% of the sulphuric acid that is produced as a waste product is used for something else, what happens to the rest ? same thing.

Because we live for such a short time we can not or will not see long term changes.
So you & I will not die from man made pollution , most likely neither will the children or grandchildren, but the next few generations are looking quite chancy .

The problem is not the billions Al Gore is making, it is the billions the Coke Brothers, the Fords and their cronies who are pushing us into over consumption are making that is the problem.
Ford ( and every one else ) could make cars that last for 50 years ( Rolls Royce have been doing it ) but they make cars that last 5 because they want you to buy a new one every 6 years.
Same thing with mowers, rubbish tools from Harbour Freight , or Walmart or similar.
The same ton of steel can make a car that lasts 50 years or one that last 10 years but over 50 years, the 10 year car has used 40 more tons of steel so created 5 times the pollution without ever turning a wheel.
And THIS IS THE REAL PROBLEM, not how much comes out the exhaust pipe

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

Well Bert I see it like this, I'm gonna stick with the opinions I formed from what I was taught in my school-days, I feel I grew up in a time when I feel MOST folks were trying to build a better world for a better life, for themselves and the following generations, I think they were doing the best they knew how at the time, I am not going to engage in the battle of "climate-change" or "global-warming politics", I think the last few generations claim to have all the right answers so I'll just spend what time I have left observing the trials and tribulations that they pursue, whether it's in vain or not,Trump recently stated some other countries are SCHITTHOLES ! well I think AMERICA will be on that list too, due to the division in the country,I sometimes envision another civil-war, but I think I'll be "gone" before it occurs ....... HOPEFULLY !

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

Weather you believe in global warming or don't matters not.
And to be honest, both sides have fudged the figures so much that neither of them have much in the way of credibality.

However neither the air we breathe nor the water we swim & fish in should be treated as a sewer.
I don't think any one can argue against that.

Your own little pinkies hammered out a lament that the new Murrays are not a patch on the old ones on several occasions, which is quite true.
There is no reason why anyone should have to buy more that 1 or 2 mowers in their lives save moving house.
Economically, it is better to get old mowers repaired than continually buy new ones.
Enviromentally it is massively better to repair old ones & use them for a long time.
To the owner, the costs are fairly well the same.
However to the economy there is a massive difference.
Continually buying new employs a lot of low wage process workers and puts all of the profits in the pockets of the billionairs who own the retail chains & sometimes the manufacturer.
Repairing puts the same money into higher waged technicians , repair shop owners, parts suppliers and a lot less into the pockets of the 1% who own 30% of the worlds wealth.
The more wages that get paid, the more tax the government receives as only the poor & middle class on PAYE pay appropriate tax.

Even the man who made built in obsolesence into an art form realised he had to pay his workers a fair wage and the best advertisement for Ford was an employee car park full of Fords.

My 1966 Rover Rancher II 8-32 mow every bit as well as the 2012 Husqvarna LTH 4217
The Rover runs @ 3500 rpm and has a cut ratio of 4"/ Hp
The Husky also runs at 3600 rpm but has a cut ratio of 2.5" / Hp

The Rover drives faster & cuts faster than the Husky.
It uses 4 x 10" long blades on a disc so it never leaves a rooster tail when the blades get worn.
The Rover blades ( 4 swing back ) use 1.5 lbs of steel , the Husky uses 8 lbs of steel and the blades last about the same time.
The Rover throws the grass further than the Husky and because the blades are only 2.5 mm thick, always makes a cleaner cut.

Because the Rover uses a 7000 series Peerless box, it will last forever where as the Husky's toughtorq is only good for around 500 hrs.

The only down side is being a manual box, you have to stop the change gears or reverse.
However the 1966 Greenfields or Cox both use a system that can go directly from foreward to reverse.

The Rover is 52 years old so has gotten excellent use for the pollution created in making it.
The Husqvarna is deceased as the deck is rusted out, the spindle housings are both broken & the engine is worn out.
It shows 490 hours on the meter.

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Wed. Jan. 17, 2018 - 4:22 AM EST

Boo,

I don't want you and Chuck to think you are the only early risers around here. The only members of "our gang" currently on the Forum this morning are Bert and me, and heaven only knows what hour (or even Day!!) it is where Bert-man lives!

So there!

Now I'll go on to my usual morning business.. But I'll be back...

Roger

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Re: Wed. Jan. 17, 2018 - 4:22 AM EST

Boo,

I don't want you and Chuck to think you are the only early risers around here. The only members of "our gang" currently on the Forum this morning are Bert and me, and heaven only knows what hour (or even Day!!) it is where Bert-man lives!

So there!

Now I'll go on to my usual morning business.. But I'll be back...

Roger

CONSISTENCY Goomba, ......consistency, ......... Chuck is usually here before me, because I let him,.. :laughing: ..
I want to see the count BEFORE I get going, and I follow Chuck, so I don't have to push the first blade through the snow !! ..:laughing:..:laughing:
YOU spend too much time in "necessary-room" in the morning ...( LOL )

GOOD MORNING Cap'n...8840578fbd4b5a8e104077d89763a0e7--work-stress-funny-friday-humor-work.jpg