The Daily Yardman Thread

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Re: MTD Yardman Transaxle Rebuild

Phew!! Let's see now...... news, we agree... TV, we mostly agree, but I think I have more interesting shows to watch than you do... Political news (if you can call it that) - I have friends that spend their waking hours listening to politics and if you will forgive the observation, then tend to be wound up over things they have no control over (save their single vote) and I feel it isn't good for their health as they get to emotional, (a.k.a. angry!) You might find more relaxation by listening to music...

Roger,

Sorry to hear what you hear, mine is not that loud, except when there is no background noise when yes one could easily go mad .
Early in life I developed a funny kind of hearing and lost the ability to focus my hearing.
Thus if driving a 22 wheeler I hear all 22 wheels on the road, plus both exhaust stacks, plus the intake hiss +,+,+,+.
A bitch when having dinner as I can clearly hear every conversation in a resturant which makes it difficult to carry on one with the people on my table.
Good when running the foundries as I could stand on the parraput and tell if everything was working properly without taking a step , right down to the change in the hum of the cores in the induction furnaces as they filled , all except the VIP ( Variable frequency induction ) a frightening piece of kit.
As for music, kinda problematic as you can easily get stuck in a time warp of the music of your youth.
Driving down to Melbourne I had to listen to the radio, the top 500 from 1970 to 2000, I recognised about 1/3 , could tollerate about 1/2 , the rest was rubbish & my music library at one time had 3000 albums from Chopan through to Zappa so I can listen to any music, just so long as it is good and played well by musicians who actually know how to play their instruments, even electronic ones & looping pedals.

Not watching TV becomes a problem when making small talk as TV seems to occupy the bulk of it , once you finish on the weather.
To give you an idea what Aust TV is like,
Last night there were 40 shows about real estate including 5 devoted to flipping properties in the USA. There were 10 UK police proceedurals, and around the same number of USA ones . Reality ( ? ) shows accounted for 16 more and no- tallent shows another 5.
Did not bother indexing the cooking / travel shows as they have 5 dedicated channels . Pannel shows , mostly featuring people who have no experteses in the topic added another 5 and pretend news magazine shows another 8. Sport, including sports pannels added another 9, if you call TV wresteling sport. There is also a "religion" channel featuring wall to wall begging for money, mostly by billionairs .
These are free to air as I did have cable at one time and most of it was total trash or endless reruns so no value at all.

Thus one also needs some sort of mental stimulation which since closing down the town house is sadly missing.
We regularly went to public lectures when we were 20 miles from the city, however being 75 miles out makes too big a night of it unless we stay over and that makes a free lecture very expensive.
The ABC replays a large number of public lectures, Boyers, Massey, Fairburn, Wreith, etc etc which can be quite challenging and thus stimulating.
A poor substitute for deep conversations with real people, but the best I can do, save annoying you bunch.
So no, the radio does not get me up tight, if I was any more lay back I would be comatose.

Politics then become a source of social small talk, replacing vaccous stuff like what some celeb is doing or what President Trump tweeted.
We have compulsory voting down here which is good because the political parties do not have to brainwash the constituency into passionate support in order to get them off their bums & voting.
Thus we have a somewhat different attitude to talking politics down here that what I see in many Americans .

Rant, rant rant.
Enjoy your yesterday.

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads

I got a pretty good whistle in my left ear, and sometimes a helicopter-like thumping in my right
Neither bothers me much...........

Geez, Bert......don't your fingers EVER tire??
I have to visit each of your epistles several times if I want to digest all the verbiage contained therein......
I seem to have a shortened attention span as I age.........

I lose interest in Boo's posts after a couple of words.
That's why he wisely posts a lot of pictures.............

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

I got a pretty good whistle in my left ear, and sometimes a helicopter-like thumping in my right

I have to visit each of your epistles several times if I want to digest all the verbiage contained therein......

You didn't even mention the fact that you're blind in one eye and can't see out the other, or that fact, that you got "short-changed" in your "JUNK-yard" dept. at birth ! you're ugly and your sweetie dresses ya funny ! and quit "raggin" bout my pic's or I'll start postin em up-side down just to raise your blood-pressure a few inches !! Go cut your toe-nails, will ya ! ..:laughing:..:laughing:

tumblr_m3qqnqXsIi1qefo51o1_500.png

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

Sorry, Boo......I lost interest after that.............what were you saying ??

What was I saying...?? ... is that, what you just said ??

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

Boos problem is he uses that Microsloth stuff.
So to do even simple things is quite a challenge .:confused2:
And because it takes so long and because Microsloth stuff goes out of date so fast, he has to spend all day on social media to get his money's worth out of the equipment :laughing:
Thus all the reposts off Bumbler, a platform for the illeterate.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

I did say I used to be a 70 wpm typist :thumbsup:
The best thing most over 40's can do is learn to touch type.
liberates hours of time.

The other big thing is to turn off the auto spell chequer .
When you finish then do a spell check ( if you really want to ) and work through the text.
Takes about 1/4 the time of looking at the underlined word, then trying to remember what the correct spelling is and even then you can oft fail to notice you have hit the wrong key of a word you know how to spell.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

If I'm lucky, I can talk that fast.
Way faster than Boo can think..............

I can't THINK ! so I just RESPOND !! Works especially well in romantic situations !! ..:thumbsup:

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads

I type slow so Boo can read it