The Daily Yardman Thread

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Re: MTD Yardman Transaxle Rebuild

It was ready. Stuff breaks. Often I can barely see where I'm going let along what I'm doing in white-out conditions, lol. Both wing return springs broke this season too. That's a regular thing. I usually keep a spare but don't have one now. The up/down button on the control pad fell off last winter. It was a bit challenging finishing the storm with a rubber band wrapped around the controller kind of/sort of holding the button on. I did 1/2 of one storm in my old truck with only rear brakes. You do what you have to do.

WE don't wan't EXCUSES !! ... WE want RESULTS !! ..:laughing:..:laughing:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

Had fun messing with my plow. At 4pm I was coating the moldboard to try to keep snow from sticking and just looking it over. I discovered that the horizontal hinge pin retaining bolt had sheared and the pin had worked out about an inch. The problem was getting it lined up and tapped back in by myself. I finally asked my next door neighbor to help. I tried having a tree help me but it just wasn't listening and doing what I wanted it to.

I'm going to have to limp through this storm with it like it is. I think I've been plowing with it like that for a couple of storms. I think I can extract the sheared bolt from the pin and just replace that end of the hardware. I tried to grab with vice grips but it's too rounded off and not enough to grab. Might need to borrow a right angle drill - I don't have one. It would be nice not to have to pull and replace the pin. Being a 10 year old plow all the hardware I'd have to loosen to remove/replace it is pretty stuck. Needs a new edge set for next season too. The leading edge is getting close to the moldboard.

A little visit from Mr Welding Rod can work wonder on that sort of stuff particularly if he is accompanied by Miss Old Bearing-Race
The heating cooling usually breaks the rust bonding and the race provides a nice big anchor point for a breaker bar

If you go the hammer through way, put a scissor type jack behind the shaft to support it and attack the pin with an air chisel with the pointy end appropriately reshaped.
10,000 little taps a minute does a lot less damage than than flailing around a 20 lb hammer, particularly if you can put a bit of pressure on the air chisel to start with.
I also have a collection of Malleable Iron G clamps with different size holes drilled through the anvil end so they can be used to push pins through.
Back in the "bad ol days" it was a length of 1" heavy walled steam pipe ground at one end to fit on the shaft retraining the afore mentioned pin / bolt.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads

A little visit from Mr Welding Rod can work wonder on that sort of stuff particularly if he is accompanied by Miss Old Bearing-Race
The heating cooling usually breaks the rust bonding and the race provides a nice big anchor point for a breaker bar

If you go the hammer through way, put a scissor type jack behind the shaft to support it and attack the pin with an air chisel with the pointy end appropriately reshaped.
10,000 little taps a minute does a lot less damage than than flailing around a 20 lb hammer, particularly if you can put a bit of pressure on the air chisel to start with.
I also have a collection of Malleable Iron G clamps with different size holes drilled through the anvil end so they can be used to push pins through.
Back in the "bad ol days" it was a length of 1" heavy walled steam pipe ground at one end to fit on the shaft retraining the afore mentioned pin / bolt.
Thanks for the tips. Speaking of welding - I woke up from my headache nap a little while ago with the thought of just tacking the shoulder of the pin to the plow to retain it for this storm, which is hopefully the last of the season. It's the horizontal hinge pin that attaches the plow to the A-frame. I'm not the best welder but that much I think I can handle with my little 120V flux core unit. I'll worry about a permanent fix later. I can't remove/replace the pin with all of the trip springs attached and the Nylok nuts on the retainers/adjusters are all locked up. Same with the ones for the angle cylinders. I'd rather band-aid it for now than try to fix it properly and end up with a disassembled unit that I can't get back together myself, being that the storm is just hours away.

I actually did try to work the pin in with my electric impact wrench by holding the socket with my hand and rapping at it, but I couldn't do that and align it at the same time by myself. Part #102 in this diagram, horizontal hinge pin, is the problem. It's a pretty key part! I should have investigated further when I noticed that one wing was closer to the front bumper than the other and that there was a dent in the moldboard where it closes against the pin in V/transport mode and a lot of creaking when stacking. I thought things were just a little bent up/skewed, which they probably are, lol. The plow has seen some pretty extreme duty - heavy wet snow up to my door mirrors pushing in 4wd low with chains on.
https://www.bosspartsdepot.com/downloads/Power-V, Power-V XT.jpg

P.S. - It appears after looking at the replacement pin online that it's a machined threaded pin and not a bolt threaded into the end of the pin, so I'll need a new pin. I'll pick one up along with a spare return spring when the dealer opens today. Better to have on hand than need it at 3 a.m. in a blizzard. That way if my temp fix doesn't work I'll have the option of fixing it right. https://www.ebay.com/itm/BOSS-SNOW-...m=122649547493&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Last edited:

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads

Replies: 5,122
Views: 239,378

Total views 707

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads

Starbucks is swill.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads

Morning Ted, Stayers and Newbies.
My coffee maker because my wife does not drink coffee. I do not buy the premade Kups with coffee in them I make my own STRONG coffee.
Keurig.jpg

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads

Nearest Starbucks to me is 5.5 miles away. I just checked. None is my town, the town to my north or to my west. And there are no towns to my south by land. Flurries starting. Supposed to get nasty this afternoon.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

Good Mornin Chuck .. YESS.jpg

Good Mornin Gang, N you too Mr. Darryl ! .. mechanic.jpg

the thought 4 2day : .. 64c4dddb9fdea513c10ab4f2a47e7bf2.jpg

NorthBama

Threads

Good morning folks no snow here just cold.

Boo send some of that sunshine state warm air our way I am freezing my th.jpg off