The Daily Yardman Thread

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Re: MTD Yardman Transaxle Rebuild

Almost there Boo. 150,000 for sure today.

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Re: Tree Growth

When I said "grab the money & run" I was not talking about cutting the trees & selling the lumber.
I was talking about declaring bankruptcy and leaving the "share farmers" with trees that never mature in a timber market where China floods the market with 500 year old trees that are 200' tall.
Paulowna grows very strongly for the first 5-8 years but reaches minimum harvestable size after 20 years. However it grows very fast in the juvenile phase thus you can issue a prospectus with predictions of an 8 -10 year harvest cycle that can not be attained but on past growth looks feasible. And even if harvested will be 100 times dearer than the natural forrest tress clear felled in China with next to free labour.
Fine carpentry is done with 200 year old wood and New" wood ( less than 100 years old ) is only used for chopsticks.

Down here it was popular with nuserys , sold as the "Chinese Flagpole Tree"as you can get 10-20' height a year for the first 5 years, but no girth.
Thus it was (still is ) the perfect scam timber project tree and the courts down here offically called it the "Money Tree"

Bert-man,

The use of wood per se, has changed dramatically over the last couple of centuries, but lets reduce our view point to just our lifetimes. Maine, which is one of the heaviest forested (by percentage) states in the union has seen dramatic changes in wood harvesting. Clear cutting has almost been abandoned due to the environmental disaster it brings to the areas effected. The pulp wood business which sustained the forestry business in this state for decades has dwindled as we watched paper mill after paper mill close their doors. SAPPI is all there is left of that business here, which is the South African Paper and Pulp Industry with a home office in Johannesburg. No longer do wood cutters leave the limbs and brush that result from cutting down trees on the forest floor, all that is chipped up and blown into huge trailers and delivered to bio-fuel generating stations.

Most of our building lumber here, comes from either small local outfits with their own wood lots, or Canada. Down South in Boo-Boo land, it is very common to see logging trucks loaded with long-leaf pine logs that are hardly large enough in diameter to cut a single lengthy 2"X 4" stud from! I never have figured out if it all goes into pulp for paper or wood chips for chip-board. When they cut pulp up here it is trucked out in 4-foot logs.

Over all, like much else, it has become (as you point out) a world-wide business, harvested wherever it grows, by the cheapest labor available (they have some fantastic harvesting machinery available today!!) and shipped to wherever it is needed. The world grows ever smaller decade by decade.

Roger

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Re: Ahh, Good Old American Manufacturing...

....(wink wink nudge nudge..)

Oh boy!! Another Monty Python fan! I knew I liked you right off!!

How about singing the SPAM song?

Could I sell you a parrot? (It's not a dead parrot..)

How about lupine... BLOODY LUPINE!?!?!

I do enjoy British humor..

Rog

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads

This post is especially for Roger (Goomba) he thinks I'm not "frugal" enough, well here's proof I am, after 10 years of the WUNNNNERFUL feelin and comfort that these slippers have given me, that my wifey has thrown out countless times, and I rescued from a disasterous fate each time she did, I finally succummed to her deepest desires, to rid our lives of these embarrassments (to her) hell, I think they jus got broke in good ! She gave me my B-day present, .. a new pair, NOW I gotta spend years breakin these newbies in ! Oh well, happy wife, happy life !! ..:cool:..:cool2:

View attachment 35043..View attachment 35046..View attachment 35048..View attachment 35051..View attachment 35052

Geez Boo, tell Linda that she just blew my idea for your birthday present! I had an old pair of slippers that I salvaged out of the dump around 15 years ago that I was going to wrap up and give to you.. I mean sure they have a couple holes worn through them in spots, but they are comfy as all get out and I thought you'd like 'em... Now I have to start all over again and see what else I can find (that's real cheap) that can give you.. Dang women. They'll screw you up every time....

Rog

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

Almost there Boo. 150,000 for sure today.

Good Mornin Chuck, Yep looks like by to-nite, the "bell will ring" 150,000 , 13-1/2 months, I just know that's a record, doncha think ??

3bca3bbfc9d09c3316fc20138e97bca8--smiley-emoji-emoji-faces.jpg..ZZZ.jpg..WIN D.jpg..thumbs-up.png

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads
Re: Ahh, Good Old American Manufacturing...

Oh boy!! Another Monty Python fan! I knew I liked you right off!!

How about singing the SPAM song?

Could I sell you a parrot? (It's not a dead parrot..)

How about lupine... BLOODY LUPINE!?!?!

I do enjoy British humor..

Rog
I used to enjoy Monty Python in the day, now I tune into Brandon O,Carroll's Mrs. Browns Boys.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00x98tn

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads

So it is 12° here this morning, and not to be above the freeze mark for the next four days, bloody hell

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads

Nice set of comfy footwear Boo

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

Nice set of comfy footwear Boo

YEAH !! not too shabby, comfy right off the bat, BUT I'm sure gonna miss my ol fav's, sometimes a guy just get's "attached" to certain things and HATE'S to let go of them, I still have 2 shirts I bought in High-School, still in excellent shape, (made in U.S,A.) ..AND, they still fit !! AHHhhh nostalgia ehhh ??