The Daily Yardman Thread

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads
Re: MTD Yardman Transaxle Rebuild

wow, 89 degrees out, and it's only 10 am, garage needs a/c...adding it to the to do list

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads

Good Sunday Morning Everyone

NorthBama

Threads

Good morning all another hot one coming today

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads

A couple was celebrating their golden wedding anniversary on the beaches in Jamaica. Their domestic tranquility had long been the talk of the town. People would say, "What a peaceful and loving couple".
The local newspaper reporter was inquiring as to the secret of their long and happy marriage.
The Husband replied: "Well, it dates back to our honeymoon in America," explained the man. We visited the Grand Canyon, in Arizona, and went down to the bottom of the canyon, by horse. We hadn't gone too far when my wife's horse stumbled and she almost fell off. My wife looked down at the horse and quietly said, “That’s once."
We proceeded a little further and the horse stumbled again. My wife quietly said, "That's twice."
We hadn't gone a half-mile when the horse stumbled for the third time. My wife quietly removed a revolver from her purse and shot the horse dead.
I SHOUTED at her, "What's wrong with you, Woman! Why did you shoot the poor animal like that? Are you crazy? She looked at ME, and quietly said, “That’s once."
"And from that moment.....we have lived happily every after."

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
A wiseman's reply

A couple was celebrating their golden wedding anniversary on the beaches in Jamaica. Their domestic tranquility had long been the talk of the town. People would say, "What a peaceful and loving couple".
The local newspaper reporter was inquiring as to the secret of their long and happy marriage.
The Husband replied: "Well, it dates back to our honeymoon in America," explained the man. We visited the Grand Canyon, in Arizona, and went down to the bottom of the canyon, by horse. We hadn't gone too far when my wife's horse stumbled and she almost fell off. My wife looked down at the horse and quietly said, “That’s once."
We proceeded a little further and the horse stumbled again. My wife quietly said, "That's twice."
We hadn't gone a half-mile when the horse stumbled for the third time. My wife quietly removed a revolver from her purse and shot the horse dead.
I SHOUTED at her, "What's wrong with you, Woman! Why did you shoot the poor animal like that? Are you crazy? She looked at ME, and quietly said, “That’s once."
"And from that moment.....we have lived happily every after."

Doc,

He was a wiseman indeed!!

Still, I believe every man should have woman who can shoot straight. You never know when you may need back-up!

Roger

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads

Well, I'm here again. What do you want me to say?​

Well Clyde, let's see..... It's probably best if we leave the subject of conversation up to you.. What kind of mood are you in? You know you can share anything with your LawnWorld buddies and we will either commiserate with you, or else poke fun at you. You can almost be certain that some inappropriate comment will be forthcoming.. We will try our best not to let you down.. (As long as your expectations aren't very high..)

You could even ask lawn mower related questions (if you have any).. There are some fairly knowledgeable fellows on that subject that hang around here..

Roger

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads

havin issues with my 17.5 briggs , gonna O/H the carb. next week .... Goomba, .. pay attention, cause it's the same carb. as yours !!! :thumbsup:

Boo,

SEA FOAM!! If it can't be fixed with a good dose of Sea Foam, I don't want to hear about it.. I'm still riding a high from disassembling the carb on the 12.5 HP Kawasaki! (And having it work when I was finished!! - Didn't have any parts left over either!!)

You 'learned' me real good..

Rog

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

OK guys ! A hypothetical, You are retired about 2 years now, just moved out to a rural area . you got a nice 3/2 home on a 1/2 acre. mostly flat a few scattered trees ,3 foot wide flower bed mulched around the entire perimeter of house ( except entrance-exit doorways ) . Anyway you want a riding mower to cut down the "weeds-lawn" you'll worry about a GREAT lawn at a later time , like when it's over your gravesite !! you have more important priorities and since most area lawns are well maintained , they are by no means manicured. it's more important nowadays to spend time with your family and friends than to be fussin with a lot of yard work, in other words you like a lived-in look, but not a schitt-hole, or a home from "Better Homes & Gardens" either. You decide a used rider with a LIMIT of $ 500.00 is your limit. You ask the neighbors what they're using and their thoughts, but YOU are the guy that has to live with it.
after scouring the local mower shops and thrift stores it's time for the local papers and Craigs/List. There are several listings everyday on one media or the others. NOW ... for your $500.00 limit, what Brand out of what's available (almost every) ( no rush.. you are using a good working self-propelled walk-behind that came with the property) would you consider to be more reliable than most, remember... you don't want to re-build the ENTIRE mower,... blades, belts, oil-change,filters etc. the usual YEARLY tune-up items. You are looking for a machine that will NOT cost a fortune should you need parts at a later time, however you DON'T expect a $500.00 mower to last more than several years with reasonable maintenance. Which is YOUR brand preference ? , Which is your engine preference ? ALSO this is to be be considered as a LAWN-TRACTOR ... NOT a GARDEN-TRACTOR !
You are Not planning to use "attachments" ( ie. snow-plow or tillers etc. a light duty trailer to haul yard materials is ok ) But if you find a Garden tractor for that amount of money ...GREAT !! THAT'S it , remember you want to be able to use this $500.00 mower as soon as you get it home Tune-up parts should be included in the price of the mower !! Include comments about availability ,repair facilities, and related info. if you prefer, ( lets not be un-realistic on this ! ) I dont expect to hear anyone saying they bought a 2 year old Walker Or Feriss or most anything that new for that amount. Myself ... I would be looking at machines ( in this area) and availabilty are 10 to 20 years old ( occassionaly newer but with issues ) OK folks have at it !! REMEMBER hypothetical, BUT Realistic to your area.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

Boo,

SEA FOAM!! If it can't be fixed with a good dose of Sea Foam, I don't want to hear about it.. I'm still riding a high from disassembling the carb on the 12.5 HP Kawasaki! (And having it work when I was finished!! - Didn't have any parts left over either!!)

You 'learned' me real good..

Rog

Goomba, IF Sea-Foam worked, .. the Military would have bought the company !! Worst case scenario is you will have to replace the carb !! I want something I can depend on . ..:laughing: ..:thumbsup:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

OK guys ! A hypothetical, You are retired about 2 years now, just moved out to a rural area . you got a nice 3/2 home on a 1/2 acre. mostly flat a few scattered trees ,3 foot wide flower bed mulched around the entire perimeter of house ( except entrance-exit doorways ) . Anyway you want a riding mower to cut down the "weeds-lawn" you'll worry about a GREAT lawn at a later time , like when it's over your gravesite !! you have more important priorities and since most area lawns are well maintained , they are by no means manicured. it's more important nowadays to spend time with your family and friends than to be fussin with a lot of yard work, in other words you like a lived-in look, but not a schitt-hole, or a home from "Better Homes & Gardens" either. You decide a used rider with a LIMIT of $ 500.00 is your limit. You ask the neighbors what they're using and their thoughts, but YOU are the guy that has to live with it.
after scouring the local mower shops and thrift stores it's time for the local papers and Craigs/List. There are several listings everyday on one media or the others. NOW ... for your $500.00 limit, what Brand out of what's available (almost every) ( no rush.. you are using a good working self-propelled walk-behind that came with the property) would you consider to be more reliable than most, remember... you don't want to re-build the ENTIRE mower,... blades, belts, oil-change,filters etc. the usual YEARLY tune-up items. You are looking for a machine that will NOT cost a fortune should you need parts at a later time, however you DON'T expect a $500.00 mower to last more than several years with reasonable maintenance. Which is YOUR brand preference ? , Which is your engine preference ? ALSO this is to be be considered as a LAWN-TRACTOR ... NOT a GARDEN-TRACTOR !
You are Not planning to use "attachments" ( ie. snow-plow or tillers etc. a light duty trailer to haul yard materials is ok ) But if you find a Garden tractor for that amount of money ...GREAT !! THAT'S it , remember you want to be able to use this $500.00 mower as soon as you get it home Tune-up parts should be included in the price of the mower !! Include comments about availability ,repair facilities, and related info. if you prefer, ( lets not be un-realistic on this ! ) I dont expect to hear anyone saying they bought a 2 year old Walker Or Feriss or most anything that new for that amount. Myself ... I would be looking at machines ( in this area) and availabilty are 10 to 20 years old ( occassionaly newer but with issues ) OK folks have at it !! REMEMBER hypothetical, BUT Realistic to your area.

Piece of piss Boo.
I would buy a Cox cause you cant kill a Cox.
One of the cone clutch jobies, not a hydro cause we all know all the TT & HG stuff has a very limited service life and Cox cones last about 20 years and replacements are around $ 150 Aus
Because the blade are swing back mounted on a disc you can just run right over branches without worrying about them jambing up the deck.
The swing back blade give an excellent cut, 100 % better than any bar blade can, are very cheap to replace and because they swing back no worries about rocks or tree stumps.
Deck is powered from the rear so if you hit something really hard , the deck belt goes slack in place of snapping and because the drive is always engaged, uses Std belts
Just bought a 1984 Cox Compact to add to the fleet of loan mowers as I sold 3 of my loaners last year.
If possible it would be the Honda GC 240 engine but an old 8 hp side banger Briggs will be fine as they last forever.
34" cut so it will go through any garden gate and as it actually mows at 8mph a very fast mower once you get used to the solid rear axel and doing fine trimming backwards.
Oh yeah, cuts in both directions
http://coxmowers.com.au/
Just paid $ 150 for one of the cream coloured ones, second row , left side in the poster.
Bought it from the original owners who were mowing 3 acres with it. They offered to the new home owners who were insulted and claimed they would have to pay to sent it to the tip.
Owners bought it new in 1984 when they bought the house, used to to mow down the bush to clear space to build their house, only mower they have ever owned.