The Daily Yardman Thread

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Re: MTD Yardman Transaxle Rebuild

Gets difficult as kerro can be totally different things in different places.
Power kerro down here is also Jet 1 fuel and clear
Highly refined heating / houshold kerro is died blue and is low/no sulphur.
Slightly less refined lighting kerro is died yellow and contains sulphur

Using any of them indoors is not a good idea as careless handleing of them results in you standing out side your burning house wrapped in an emergency blanket.

Using low grade kerro can be made acceptiable by boiling water on the heater so the exhaust & water vapour mix.
The water adsorbs the compounds in the exhaust , but of course will deposit them on the inside of your windows or any other condensing surface.

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads

This is only for use in the shop, which has 12' ceilings.........

The kerosene i purchased has red dye...it is 1-K, but is not water clear, being red.......
Low sulfur and $3.50/gl, and the clear stuff is $10.00+ but everyone is out of it due to the cold snap....

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

This is only for use in the shop, which has 12' ceilings.........

The kerosene i purchased has red dye...it is 1-K, but is not water clear, being red.......
Low sulfur and $3.50/gl, and the clear stuff is $10.00+ but everyone is out of it due to the cold snap....

I think you're inviting disaster using a Kerosene heater in an enclosed structure, check out indoor propane or better yet, a natural gas unit but you'll need a tank .

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

I think you're inviting disaster using a Kerosene heater in an enclosed structure, check out indoor propane or better yet, a natural gas unit but you'll need a tank .

I have two Fireside kerro heaters plus a dozen Aladin mantle lamps at least 10 Kerro blow lamps and a few Tilly lamps.
The Aladin lamps make very good heaters as the mantle glows white hot , fully burns the kerro and represent the lowest fire risk.
Never used one below zero but oft use them in the workshop when working late on small things just to take the chill of the air.

The firesides need a billy of water cause they do not burn as completely as the Aladin lamps do so after a while your eyes are sore.
Breathing in kerro exhaust is most likely not the best for your health but both the heaters came from home and they were the only heaters my family used from well before I was born,.

The fire brigades fought long & hard to have them banned which failed but the State government put a $ 1 /litre tax on bulk pumped kerro so priced it out of the market.
Thus the only stuff you can buy here is prepackaged in 0.5 L , 1 L & 4 L which makes is very expensive if you are using 2 gallons a night.
Lighting Kerro is around $ 3.50 / l ( $ 8 / gal ) to $ 5 / L if fragrenced so again not viable for daily large volume use.
Heating kerro is around $ 3. a litre
we have found some one who sells reprocessed solvent kerro at $ 495 for a 202 / l ( 44 gal ) drum which we are about to buy to put in the part washer.
They take the old stuff back clean it then resell it so I would not be happy burning it indoors .

Burning kerro inside is not a worry for me.
Office has 10' ceilings & workshop is 14' to the floor, no ceiling.
Got 2 unflued propane heaters here as well but they do make the office or workshop very stuffy very quickly.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads

Views: 189,139

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads

Morning Boo.
Get ready for a cold snap.
-20 wind chill Monday before last. Cold all week long. Then all of a sudden 42 on Friday to 67 on Sunday. Rain yesterday and snowflakes last night. It is headed your way.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

Morning Boo.
Get ready for a cold snap.
-20 wind chill Monday before last. Cold all week long. Then all of a sudden 42 on Friday to 67 on Sunday. Rain yesterday and snowflakes last night. It is headed your way.

GOOD Mornin, Chuck ..........YESS.jpg

Thanks for the "heads-up" on the forecast, sittin @ a balmy 65deg. this morn. only supposed to drop to the mid 50s today, I'm runnin around in a T-shirt and light "hoodie" , comfy after that freeze we went through, we'll see if that weather-man is lying again !! ( LOL )

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

Guess everybody's sleepin in this mornin, AGAIN !!

GOOD Morning Gang !!

EE.jpg

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

UT-OH ... looks like we have a spammer on-board, !! ...:thumbdown:

Think I'll flag it , I think Muhammed is on board this morning, he'll take care of it .

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads

Any of you fellers from the cold lands have any input on kerosene for space heaters??
I've read a bunch about using only clear 1-K kerosene as opposed to red dyed stuff,
but others say adding a pinch of alcohol to the red stuff makes it OK to use.
Then there is the type of alcohol to use: isopropyl or methyl.............

Sometimes I find too much info on the web...........

Ron,

I am not positive, but I "think" that the "red dyed stuff" is actually #2 fuel oil for oil burners or off the road diesel engines and it's dyed so that it can be identified in case someone uses it to operate a diesel engine on the road (without paying the appropriate "road taxes").

The red dye shouldn't hurt anything, but #2 oil is a little 'heavier' than #1, which is how Kerosene is rated. That 'may' cause problems in your heater long term, but I'm not sure. I never heard of adding alcohol, but can't imagine how that would help anything.

If it were me and my heater didn't cost $1,000.. I'd try it.. WTH??

Roger