The Daily Yardman Thread

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Re: MTD Yardman Transaxle Rebuild

New Shindaiwa M 242 Mult-Tool powerhead purchased yesterday. https://www.shindaiwa-usa.com/Products/Multi-tool/M242.aspx

According to my dealer they're going to get away from Echo and Shindaiwa having multi-tools with 2 different attachments systems and go with just the Echo one, which would eliminate the availability of new powerheads that fit my tools. I have several of the multi-tools including 2 trimmer attachments, the extended hedge trimmer, mini tiller, edger, pole pruner and power broom. I don't use any of them much since I have dedicated string trimmers, hedge trimmers and a pole pruner but the multi-tool setup is nice when I'm going out on a miscellaneous "spruce-up" job or as backups. My 231 is currently out of commission, must have gotten bumped in transit or storage and bend/broke air intake assembly and punched a hole in the air filter that remained for who knows how long before being detected. It's in the NWF (not worth fixing) pile and is actually the only piece of equipment I've bought since I started my business in 2002 that no longer runs. My old 230 still runs but it has a lot of hours on it and is plain tired. It actually seized up once from wrong fuel. I sounded awful after I first freed it up but it's fine now, just tired. I've never liked my 2500 4-mix hybrid. It's temperamental as far as starting both cold and warm even after a carb rebuild, a valve adjustment and adding the compression release from the 2510 unit.

So, in the interest of protecting my investment and looking down the road a bit, I got a brand new M242 powerhead that I'll treat as a backup. I do things a bit differently than most. Most buy a new unit and retire the old one to backup duty. I generally keep using the old one and use the new one for backup duty. I run a pretty tight schedule during the growing season and need to be able to just grab something else if a unit goes down and worry about fixing the broken one later.

Still waiting for some definitive word on what the deal is with the next storm(s) on their way to the Northeast mid week. The models are all over the place.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

Good night Bert. See you Tomorrow/today. Be lucky if we get to 70.

Should go 110 today, about 20 over for this time of the year , that is of course if you can call anything "normal"

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads

Wow Bert, it's almost like your seasons are the opposite of ours :biggrin:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

In more ways that one.
THis has been the hottest & driest summer on record
Up north they are having the coldest & wettest ( call snow water ) winter on record.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

New Shindaiwa M 242 Mult-Tool powerhead purchased yesterday. https://www.shindaiwa-usa.com/Products/Multi-tool/M242.aspx

According to my dealer they're going to get away from Echo and Shindaiwa having multi-tools with 2 different attachments systems and go with just the Echo one, which would eliminate the availability of new powerheads that fit my tools. I have several of the multi-tools including 2 trimmer attachments, the extended hedge trimmer, mini tiller, edger, pole pruner and power broom. I don't use any of them much since I have dedicated string trimmers, hedge trimmers and a pole pruner but the multi-tool setup is nice when I'm going out on a miscellaneous "spruce-up" job or as backups. My 231 is currently out of commission, must have gotten bumped in transit or storage and bend/broke air intake assembly and punched a hole in the air filter that remained for who knows how long before being detected. It's in the NWF (not worth fixing) pile and is actually the only piece of equipment I've bought since I started my business in 2002 that no longer runs. My old 230 still runs but it has a lot of hours on it and is plain tired. It actually seized up once from wrong fuel. I sounded awful after I first freed it up but it's fine now, just tired. I've never liked my 2500 4-mix hybrid. It's temperamental as far as starting both cold and warm even after a carb rebuild, a valve adjustment and adding the compression release from the 2510 unit.

So, in the interest of protecting my investment and looking down the road a bit, I got a brand new M242 powerhead that I'll treat as a backup. I do things a bit differently than most. Most buy a new unit and retire the old one to backup duty. I generally keep using the old one and use the new one for backup duty. I run a pretty tight schedule during the growing season and need to be able to just grab something else if a unit goes down and worry about fixing the broken one later.

Still waiting for some definitive word on what the deal is with the next storm(s) on their way to the Northeast mid week. The models are all over the place.

Several years back I needed a NEW trimmer and I had been takin a good look at these "power-head" machines, but after a few guys informed me of some issues, ( improer fit, high-vibration, etc. etc. ) I decided to get my money's worth and opted for a Stihl FS-90R,
(2-4 cycle), best trimmer I've ever hand my hands on, I wouldn't worry too much about component availability, you can be sure there will be enough around for awhile.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads

The nice thing about the multi-tool is that you can buy attachments that you couldn't justify if it was a dedicated unit. I can't really justify buying a dedicated power broom that I might only run a couple of hours a year, but I can for a much cheaper attachment that will soon be quickly and easily removing all of the driveway gravel that got plowed up on lawns over the winter. I did run the multi-tool as a trimmer for years but now run dedicated trimmers. I have a Stihl FS 110 bike handlebar unit (should have bought the 130), a Husqvarna 124L, a Husqvarna 323L, and a Husqvarna 525LS on top of the 2 multi-tool ones. What's nice about the multi-tools is that I can haul out to do a spring cleanup and bring the pole pruner extension in case there are any big limbs to break down, the power broom to scour the sand from the edge of the road and the mini tiller to help fix where I dug up the lawn with my snow plow without having to take 3 powerheads.

Similarly I've got 3 other hedge trimmers besides my multi-tool one. It's too long for general use but as a long extended trimmer it's nice. I liked the pole pruner for my multi-tool so much that I decided to buy the Echo PPT-280 dedicated pole pruner with the 4 foot extension. Lots of things you can do with a 17 foot long chainsaw on a stick!

It's different being a homeowner who owns a landscaping business than being one who doesn't. :tongue:

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads

Views: 237,062

Total views 833

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

GOOOOOD MORNIN Bean-Counter ! .. YESS.jpg

Good Moring all you wrench benders !! .. mechanic.jpg

thought 4 2day : .. tumblr_m8xbzqIik31rw43r4o1_500.jpg

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads

Morning Ted, Stayers and Newbies.

sunrise 59.jpg

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads

Good night Bert Hope you had a good tomorrow.
Sunset 2.jpg