The Daily Yardman Thread

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Re: MTD Yardman Transaxle Rebuild

Yours is easy to work on. Just clean before you start. Then drain and refill. Then purge air. I will post instructions in a few. No need to change the gasket if it is working.

primerbulb120

Threads

How long does it take usually, and is $100 a reasonable labor charge for it?

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

Yours is easy to work on. Just clean before you start. Then drain and refill. Then purge air. I will post instructions in a few. No need to change the gasket if it is working.

Don't you fret now Clyde, before we're done helpin ya, your bank account will be in arrears and you will have replaced that pesky mower with it's leaking issue ! ... We're here from the Forum and we're gonna help ya !! .. :laughing:..:laughing:..:laughing:

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads

Purging Air from Hydraulics
1. Raise rear wheels off ground. Brace with jack stands.
2. Put bypass valves so it freewheels.
3. Get on mower start it and release the brake.
4. Push drive lever full forward for 10 seconds the full reverse for 10 sec. Do this 10 times for forward and 10 times for reverse alternating between each.
5. Return levers to the parked position and set brake. Turn off the mower. Move bypass valve bake to normal operation.
6. Get back on the mower and start it. Do step #4 again.
7. Return levers to the parked position and set brake. Turn off the mower.
8. Return mower to ground.
9. Test for proper working. If not repeat.
10. Check oil level and fill.

primerbulb120

Threads

Can you burn up the hydros if the air isn't all gone,?

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads

Two questions for anyone who's worked on a Hydro-Gear ZT-3100 system before:

- The left side ZT-3100 on my Compact Pro 44 had an oil leak due to loose bolts on the charge pump cover, and I used it on several yards before finding this out. I tightened them and the leak stopped. Should I have the charge pump cover and seal replaced, or leave it alone? The Hydro-Gear dealer said to leave it alone, but I wanted more advice.

- My ZT-3100s need the oil and filters changed. Should I tackle this myself, or take it to the local Hydro-Gear dealer (who has very good reviews)? I already have the parts, and was quoted $100 for the repair procedure. Dealer recommends that I bring it to them because I could mess up the hydros if I do it wrong, but of course that's what the dealer would say - they want my business. Opinions/advice?

After reading Bert's descriptions of working on these transaxles, I'm nervous about doing anything to them. :ashamed:
If it's under warranty I'd have the dealer do it. My dealer charged just under $200 parts and labor to service the 3400 in my Bob-Cat. Having the dealer do it extends the warranty from 2 to 3 years on mine. Don't know if that's a Bob-Cat thing or HydroGear.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

Do you know how hard it is to find a good picture of a sunset for Austraila? I am lucky to find anything. I just have to live with what they give me.:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Sydney faces east with mountains to the west so we sort of get shadowed out then it goes dark.
Thus not very photogenic sunsets.
But the sunrises are spectacular.
As for the bridge not only have I been across it ( 3,000 times one year ) but also been over the arch crack testing rivet holes.
The views are unbelievable as are the winds.
I dropped the magnet yoke one time, it weighs around 9 kg and was hanging from a 10 meters long wire sling ( like the stuff they use to stop you knicking tools in shops ), near vertical and it was a still day.

We do have massive photo libraries but they are all commercial so only paying customers get to even browse the catalogues.

Workshop is 80 km west south west from the coat hanger and the house is 92 km west west north west from the same item, in those mountains that shadow out the city.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

If it's under warranty I'd have the dealer do it. My dealer charged just under $200 parts and labor to service the 3400 in my Bob-Cat. Having the dealer do it extends the warranty from 2 to 3 years on mine. Don't know if that's a Bob-Cat thing or HydroGear.

Get the parts break down before you start.
Nothing complicated inside them but clean is an understatement.

I degrease, pressure wash, degrease again then soda blast and wash again so the outside is nice & shinny.
This is because I got stung for a replacement tranny under warranty and that cost a full months profits.
So now they get a shiny clean thus the owners can not claim I introduced dirt into the box.

They get pulled down inside the bathroom after I have rinsed down the walls roof & floor.
A bit extreme but once bitten.

Inside they are simplicity itself so I do the required work, button them back up purge the air with an air wrench on the pulley bolt, replace the oil a second time, purge the oil a second time then refit the unit to the tractor.

Only done 6 to date this way but have had a 100% success rate.

Customer pays for the "flushing oil" and 5 hours labour + parts.

Very important is to put a DAMP cloth over the entire bundle if you have to leave it.

FWIW, now I have set up to do the cleaning, manual boxes get the same pre-clean.

The soda blaster is simply a pop bottle mounted on an air duster and I use feed grade soda not blasting grade $ 19 for a 25 kg sack.
Because soda is a Ph 7 buffering agent & water soluable , you can do it in the yard then water it away.

I use the same soda blaster now to clean up hand held engines, does not hurt the plastic and makes them nice & clean to work with.
THe business owner used to clean all this stuff with carb cleaner or degrease but both attack different materials so can make things worse and of course the cans cost a lot more than the soda and are toxic.