The Daily Yardman Thread

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Re: MUD SKIPPERS

I left out another great use for a left over air cooled engine that fell out of someone's lawn tractor. "Mud Skippers" Like "Mud Buddys" only different!

Check out the videos: http://mud-skipper.com/index.php/twisters.html

Roger

Hot Daangit, Roger....
you get into more sheet than a kid in a candy-store..... sure glad I gave up boats, got ENUFF sheets around the house now !!! Wifey say ... any more sheet and I will be waking up as a queen one of these days !! UT-OHHH !!
About that carb on your mower ... you remember ... in Maine .... the MTD yardman !!! yeah ... the transaxle bit that started THIS thread... THEN the thread about the carb ... jumpin back n forth etc. etc. anyway.... lookin at the engine manuals I'm thinking you may just have a WALBRO carb and NOT a NIKKI .. guess we have to wait till you get back up to the refrigerator state..... BRRrrrrr !!! YOU are gonna miss this fabulous warm FLORIDA weather !!! Well either carb we have you covered .. .... later buddy ...... Boobala ..:rolleyes: ..:rolleyes:

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Re: MUD SKIPPERS

Hot Daangit, Roger.... I'm thinking you may just have a WALBRO carb and NOT a NIKKI ..

Boo,

I'm pretty sure the carb is a Nikki..

I wish you had been down in the Keys with me to see my buddies air boat. He just replaced the Lycoming aircraft engine with another Lycoming that has more HP. He runs it up in the Glades. Then he told me his old army buddies had a reunion in Dunnellon a few years ago and he loved it there. So I told him about the upper end of the Withlacoochee and told him he ought to trailer the air boat up there, but I think he kinda balked at the 8 hour drive. He also has a swamp buggy he built himself (he's a talented lad) but the new rules in the Glades restrict them to roads he says he can travel in his 4X4 F-150, so he no longer bothers to bring it up there. I'll see if I can get him to send me a pic of the air boat.

Rog

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
AIRBOAT

Well, this posting isn't going to be as exciting as I had hoped for. My buddy in the Keys has pictures (and videos) of his airboat literally flying over the sawgrass, I've seen them, but they are trapped in a computer that he can't figure out how to get them out of! So he went out in his back yard, took the tarp off the boat and snapped a couple shots for me. The boat is a 1983 Thurmond Hull 11 Footer. 300 HP Angle Valve Lycoming Engine. He's put about $11,000 into rebuilding it! That's after buying it originally!! It will actually "fly"!! Which he says gets real hairy at times...

Sorry about the 90* Rudder shot.. You can just see the Lycoming peeking out behind his custom seat.

Roger

Attachments

• Airboat Rudder.jpg
    Airboat Rudder.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Tom's airboat 1.jpg
    Tom's airboat 1.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Tom's airboat 2.jpg
    Tom's airboat 2.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 7
  • Tom's airboat 3.jpg
    Tom's airboat 3.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Re: MTD Yardman Transaxle Rebuild

I've heard there are some guys up north..... that were "gifted" with a "set" .....of basket-ball porportions..
and sheet for brains........ that actually take these out in winter on snow covered roads and semi frozen lakes ... ya gotta be kiddin !!! When these things get away from ya .... its all over but the cryin !! then there's the guys don't even have a "cage" around the prop ......OOoooooweeeee !!! :confused2:

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Re: MTD Yardman Transaxle Rebuild

I've heard there are some guys up north..... that were "gifted" with a "set" .....of basket-ball porportions..
and sheet for brains........ that actually take these out in winter on snow covered roads and semi frozen lakes ... ya gotta be kiddin !!! When these things get away from ya .... its all over but the cryin !! then there's the guys don't even have a "cage" around the prop ......OOoooooweeeee !!! :confused2:

Boo,

Tom did say that he'd rolled his airboat a couple times, but he always came out of it in one piece. The boat, not so much.. He also had a tool that a buddy had left on the cage go through the propeller and take a good chunk out of one blade. The blades are very expensive. That one was wooden, he now runs graphite blades.

Years ago, airboats 'used' to be illegal in Maine, but now the Warden Service uses them, so I guess anyone else who wants to can as well.

I'm all into designing a boat similar to a duck boat but with a flat bottom aft to reduce draft and then mount one of those long tail mud motors on it for flats fishing. If I finish it next summer and fall, I may bring it down here with me next time I come.

Rog

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
BOSS Surface Drives

MUD RUNNING!!

Ya gotta see it to believe it!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWfNThmE9Kg

These buggers are expensive, but you have to admit they work!!

I have to wonder if the lower unit from an outboard motor couldn't be shortened (by removing the mid-section) and adapted to an air cooled Vanguard twin and coupled to one of those aluminum two-blade mud-motor props and be made to work. The skeg would have to be remade as well. That would be a great project.

Roger

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
THE FINALE...................

Has this thread finally come to it's inevitable end? I thought so once and it bounced back to life. But, now that we have covered such a wide spectrum of interests, while the members contributing have remained fairly constant, I fear we have exhausted their efforts to keep it afloat.

Again, I would like to thank everyone who posted anything, turning a single subject into a blog of numerous topics. I'd also like to thank all the readers whoever you are, because just watching the number of views steadily increase, is what kept the members posting..... And we all need to thank the forum administrators for allowing this to continue for so long.

There is however, a lesson to be learned here. As in most of life's endeavors, if you merely passively observe and don't actively contribute, not only will your benefits be limited, but the entire entity will atrophy and die.. just as has happened here.

Don't remain on the side lines as a 'thinker', be a doer! Get your hands dirty! Try something you've never tried before.. and when confronted with a problem you can't figure out - ASK someone. For as you have found on this forum, the world if full of those willing to share their expertise and knowledge, make use of it and expand your horizons. . . . . Get off your dead butt and DO something.

Zero bubble...

Roger

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Re: THE FINALE...................

Has this thread finally come to it's inevitable end? I thought so once and it bounced back to life. But, now that we have covered such a wide spectrum of interests, while the members contributing have remained fairly constant, I fear we have exhausted their efforts to keep it afloat.

Again, I would like to thank everyone who posted anything, turning a single subject into a blog of numerous topics. I'd also like to thank all the readers whoever you are, because just watching the number of views steadily increase, is what kept the members posting..... And we all need to thank the forum administrators for allowing this to continue for so long.

There is however, a lesson to be learned here. As in most of life's endeavors, if you merely passively observe and don't actively contribute, not only will your benefits be limited, but the entire entity will atrophy and die.. just as has happened here.

Don't remain on the side lines as a 'thinker', be a doer! Get your hands dirty! Try something you've never tried before.. and when confronted with a problem you can't figure out - ASK someone. For as you have found on this forum, the world if full of those willing to share their expertise and knowledge, make use of it and expand your horizons. . . . . Get off your dead butt and DO something.

Zero bubble...

Roger

OHHhhh NOoooooooo ...!!!!
Please tell me it ain't so !!! :frown: ..:frown: ..:frown:
the end of the TRANSAXLE BLOG !!!
I too would like to say thanks to all those who participated in this thread ........
IT HAS BEEN one helluva ride !! On to other projects that seek our attention ... and quite possibly our foolish and humorous antics..... that may well arise once again.
Special thanks to Pumper54, BlazNT, and bertsmobile1 and of course to Catherine & Muhammed for .... as Roger stated .... letting us continue to go on & on with this thread for so long ... I hope that all who followed it .... at least cracked a smile once in awhile , the world has plenty of gloom & despair... we ALL... need a smile ..... as the ol Cavalry used to cry out.... Fowoood HOooo !!

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
ALL THE WAY TO 20 K !!!

Com'on you guys, ya can't quit now! As of this moment in time this thread only has 99 more readers to go to slip up to 20,000 views... AND if we can get to 20,000 views then we will all be issued GOLD STARS! (I think they are just gummed stickers for our foreheads... but still....)

So, let's all chant together, "Gold Stickers! - Gold Stickers! - Gold Stickers! - - - Hey! You in the back... I can't HEAR you!! . . . Let's put a little more heart into it... Gold Stickers!! - Gold Stickers!! - Gold Stickers!!! . . . That's better.... We're on our way now!!

Roger B