The Daily Yardman Thread

NorthBama

Threads
Re: MTD Yardman Transaxle Rebuild

Same here we would need to get a permit before starting.

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads

Well that sucks

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

OH YEAH !! even out here in the boondocks, in the forest where people can do so many things that you can't do in the city, I needed to submit a drawing of my property and include the set-backs and easements just to install a 12x16 shed, inspector came out to verify such, ( $$$$ ) then after installation, another inspection of the shed, ( to verify door was LESS than 48in. wide ) something about shed/or barn type structure or some Govnt. bullschitt, more ( $$$$ ) then a follow-up inspection to insure I had'nt tried to sneak in electric service or water ( as many do anyway ) ( no-charge ) but it's all about the money and yes THEY don't want an unsafe structure, which is good, but some of these inspectors have no idea of what they're lookin at either !! And life goes on . ..:confused2:

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads

How is it that you can flip the switch to a circuit of 8 fluorescent fixtures, and one of three scenarios takes place:

1. They all come on. (extremely rare..)
2. Some come on initially, then the others follow suit 1min to 8hrs later.(sometimes)
3. NONE come on initially, but one be one they light somewhere between 1min to 8hrs. (most common)

Fluorescent fixtures seem to defy the laws of electrical current and mathematics............

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads

I wired up my garage and shed, all led...got tired of dealing with the florescent crap

NorthBama

Threads

I wired up my garage and shed, all led...got tired of dealing with the florescent crap

Yes i like the LED tubes they are instant on and no flicker in cold weather. The florescent fixtures can be changed to LED tubes.

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads

I will look into LED's............Thanx!

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads

Y'all consider yourselves fortunate that y'all don't have to involve government in y'all's projects.

I attempted to start the ball rolling in order to upgrade my shop electrical panel
and move the service from overhead to underground.
What a ROYAL PIA..........

The code department wants the new panel installed and wired before they will inspect.
Then, the power company will schedule the actual trenching,wiring and turning the power back on.
Trouble is, it may take over a week between the inspection and the performance of the work.
I would hate to be without power for that long...........maybe I should take a vacation after the inspection (but, I'm
sure that would halt the process.........)

And, as I want to pass inspection on the first attempt, I had code questions.
BUT, the man I need to see is gone for the day. I can't call him; rather, I had to set an appointment for Monday!

Your local government: working "with" you to protect yourself from yourself in spite of yourself.......

Ron,

Having been an electrical contractor for most of my civilian life, I can tell you that it may be possible (if you find the right guy) to install your underground service as a private service (meaning that you own it - and would be responsible for it's repair if something should go wrong with it) from your new meter location, (an underground meter is different from an overhead meter, so you'll need a new one anyway) to whatever pole the riser is suppose to be on. Be advised that some power companies require private U/G services to rise on their own pole which must be a specified number of feet from whatever pole the company wants to serve you from.

I have had more go-arounds with power companies than I care to remember, but as I always told my customers (when they were faced with a situation like you have) "There's always a way to skin a cat!" You just need an electrician who enjoys yanking your local power companies chain, like I did! There is always a way around any problem you're faced with, just dig for the answer..

Good luck!!

Roger

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads

Doc,

A high ceilinged shop can still benefit from fluorescent lighting by using the newer T-5 lamps in troffers. More illumination, less watts, will come on at low temps and less expensive than LED's. Although LED prices are dropping all the time.

Roger

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads

How's this for a post Roger, not my normal five words and out....LOL

Doc,

I DID want to complement you on that Beetle dissertation.. For you, that was a tome!

Rog