The Daily Yardman Thread

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Re: MTD Yardman Transaxle Rebuild

I guess you didn't have to go into parts research, and diggin through n "drillin-down" in your Navy Manuals, Tech. manuals, Illustrated Parts Breakdowns, T.C.T.O.s and all the Tech. pubs like us Fly-Boys had to, I probably spent 2 years of my 4 year hitch, reading and deciphering all the jargon, in those damn things .. course I did learn from a SUPER book-worm that I got put on my crew for just that purpose, yep ... sometimes, this Polok can be a lil crafty too ! ..:thumbsup:..:laughing:..:laughing:

Boo,

That's the beauty of electronic schematics, they either have the value of the part or the part numbers written right on them! And the parts themselves usually have one or the other coded or printed right on them. . . Easy-Peasy..... Of course today everything is on cards or in modules and entire assemblies are replaced. Even easier! That's why they called Electronic Techs and Sonarmen - "Twidgets".. - All we had to carry for tools was a P2 (tiny) screwdriver.

Mechanical work is for "Big Hairy Men", with grease under their fingernails and they smell like 90W gear oil.. Yucky.. Unfortunately ALL diesel boat sailors smelled pretty rank. What with diesel oil and hydraulic oil soaked into all your clothing, no showers for weeks on end, cooking odors condensed in the pressure cooker we lived in... yeah, we stunk pretty bad.. Nothing smells quite like the half combusted exhaust of a diesel engine.. You haven't lived until you've been in a sub when the engines "flamed-out" due to vacuum drawn when the snorkel valve gets submerged by large waves and slams shut. The coffin covers pop open on the engines and the boat is instantly filled with exhaust fumes.. OR!!! How about venting sanitary tanks inboard! When we had to blow our "schitt-tanks" submerged, the pressure in the tank had to be bled-off.. Guess where that went?? You got it, right into the boat. We had charcoal filters on the vents but they probably hadn't been changed since the boats were built at the end of WWII!! The filter for number two sanitary was in the overhead of the galley where we ate our meals! Now THAT will put hair on your chest!! Ahhhh, those were the days... I miss them just the same..

Roger

Attachments

• Bunks in the torpedo room.jpg
    Bunks in the torpedo room.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 5
  • Ready to dive.jpg
    Ready to dive.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 7

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads

Happy Friday People....Happy Extended Saturday to Rog and Boo.

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads

found a picture of my tire changer while moving farmall cub pictures around in different folders......
IMG_5458.jpg
swapped out the rear tires on my suburban with it.....works sweet

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads

I havn't spent anytime with my tractor project all week, my son and his girl visited us and left behind a nasty cold for the wife and I to battle with.......yesterday was the first time I was able to leave the box of tissues aside

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads

Boo,

That's the beauty of electronic schematics, they either have the value of the part or the part numbers written right on them! And the parts themselves usually have one or the other coded or printed right on them. . . Easy-Peasy..... Of course today everything is on cards or in modules and entire assemblies are replaced. Even easier! That's why they called Electronic Techs and Sonarmen - "Twidgets".. - All we had to carry for tools was a P2 (tiny) screwdriver.

Mechanical work is for "Big Hairy Men", with grease under their fingernails and they smell like 90W gear oil.. Yucky.. Unfortunately ALL diesel boat sailors smelled pretty rank. What with diesel oil and hydraulic oil soaked into all your clothing, no showers for weeks on end, cooking odors condensed in the pressure cooker we lived in... yeah, we stunk pretty bad.. Nothing smells quite like the half combusted exhaust of a diesel engine.. You haven't lived until you've been in a sub when the engines "flamed-out" due to vacuum drawn when the snorkel valve gets submerged by large waves and slams shut. The coffin covers pop open on the engines and the boat is instantly filled with exhaust fumes.. OR!!! How about venting sanitary tanks inboard! When we had to blow our "schitt-tanks" submerged, the pressure in the tank had to be bled-off.. Guess where that went?? You got it, right into the boat. We had charcoal filters on the vents but they probably hadn't been changed since the boats were built at the end of WWII!! The filter for number two sanitary was in the overhead of the galley where we ate our meals! Now THAT will put hair on your chest!! Ahhhh, those were the days... I miss them just the same..

Roger
certainly not as comfy as the movies made them look, eh Rog?!
7273af8a04d4eca734c2610fc191e8ea--midget-submarine-submarines.jpg

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

Boo,

Roger

Bet you guys on those "tight-packed like sardines" (ooops don't get Ron goin AGAIN !) cigar tubes, didn't get a lot of BEANS or CABBAGE in your meals either !! ( LOL )

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

Boo,

Roger

Theee ONLY way you woulda got me in there , would be with a gun shoved my "sit-down" . !!!