The Daily Yardman Thread

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Re: Ford 8N Tractor

Rog: We found the culprit and it was HIM!! (The boats owner.) He recently replace the electric sender in the below deck fuel tank with a manual float type. The top of the tank has a sort of 'dip' in it and any water that gets down in the bilge tends to collect on top of the tank, right where the new sender is mounted.. (there is also one of those pop-out deck plates right over the sender and he hadn't been wiping silicone grease on it's "O"-ring, like I do in MY boat!! - I think it has been leaking in there, right on top of the tank.) This morning we pressurized the fuel system and squirted some Dawn dish soap with water added on top of the tank and it instantly foamed up! I gave him some special fuel-resistant Permatex gasket maker that I had and he's going to drain the fuel tank and remount the gauge and float.

He already got the boat back from the dealer this afternoon. The problem was the fuel pump! They charged him over $700 for a new installed fuel pump!! Sounds pretty damn expensive to me!

We will launch the boat tomorrow and use the portable fuel tank until we have determined that the built-in tank is no longer leaking.

Traps ought to be full of lobsters when we haul after a couple days of 'soaking'..

Remember, "Eat Lobster.. Wear Grundens" eat_lobster_sticker.jpg

Rog

Last edited:

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

Rog: We found the culprit and it was HIM!! (The boats owner.) He recently replace the electric sender in the below deck fuel tank with a manual float type. The top of the tank has a sort of 'dip' in it and any water that gets down in the bilge tends to collect on top of the tank, right where the new sender is mounted.. (there is also one of those pop-out deck plates right over the sender and he hadn't been wiping silicone grease on it's "O"-ring, like I do in MY boat!! - I think it has been leaking in there, right on top of the tank.) This morning we pressurized the fuel system and squirted some Dawn dish soap with water added on top of the tank and it instantly foamed up! I gave him some special fuel-resistant Permatex gasket maker that I had and he's going to drain the fuel tank and remount the gauge and float.

He already got the boat back from the dealer this afternoon. The problem was the fuel pump! They charged him over $700 for a new installed fuel pump!! Sounds pretty damn expensive to me!

We will launch the boat tomorrow and use the portable fuel tank until we have determined that the built-in tank is no longer leaking.

Traps ought to be full of lobsters when we haul after a couple days of 'soaking'..

Remember, "Eat Lobster.. Wear Grundens" View attachment 32276

Rog

Last year we had a family outing (3 couples) on my B I Ls boat .. pleasant cruise till we started home ... started sputtering/skipping then ULLLkkkk .. it jus QUIT !! mak a long story short we took it the dealer ( we suspectted the fuel pump after our troubleshooting ( 2year old Suzuki 4 cycle ) he checked it out n confirmed our results...
NOW ... If memory serves me well the ...pump was a 2 piece st-up cost @ about $300.00 Plus $300.00 installation
B I L found a unit at another place for $ 175.00 (does'nt even look like any fuel pump we've seen ) and after some teeth - gnashing & many choice expletives we FINALLy had it in ... tiny thing but access was the main problem till we figured out a way to get at it..Anyway all is well ...been tellin him bout a separator so he's thinkin bout one..
he does have an in-line filter plus what is in the fuel pump ( the other part of the pump) but he argues since we are on lakes with lots of traffic no big deal ... after all we got saved that time ... HMMmmmm ????

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads

Last year we had a family outing (3 couples) on my B I Ls boat .. pleasant cruise till we started home ... started sputtering/skipping then ULLLkkkk .. it jus QUIT !! mak a long story short we took it the dealer ( we suspectted the fuel pump after our troubleshooting ( 2year old Suzuki 4 cycle ) he checked it out n confirmed our results...
NOW ... If memory serves me well the ...pump was a 2 piece st-up cost @ about $300.00 Plus $300.00 installation
B I L found a unit at another place for $ 175.00 (does'nt even look like any fuel pump we've seen ) and after some teeth - gnashing & many choice expletives we FINALLy had it in ... tiny thing but access was the main problem till we figured out a way to get at it..Anyway all is well ...been tellin him bout a separator so he's thinkin bout one..
he does have an in-line filter plus what is in the fuel pump ( the other part of the pump) but he argues since we are on lakes with lots of traffic no big deal ... after all we got saved that time ... HMMmmmm ????

Boo,

Neighbor also has two boats down in FL. (He winters on Pine Island) he said he has a Suzuki on one of them and he had to have the fuel pump replaced on it.. That cost $300 + just like you said. Evidently Evinrude is real proud of their fuel pumps!

The thread-on canister fuel and water separator/filters are reasonably priced and cheap insurance. Sierra makes all sorts of after market filters as well as other marine goodies. All of which meet and/or exceed manufactures specs. They make a sweet filter kit that would be just right for your Bro-in-law's boat. The replaceable spin-on filters are rated for 10 microns. https://www.wholesalemarine.com/sierra-18-7982-1-fuel-water-separator-kit.html The Racors are W-A-Y more $$$$..

We got the main fuel tank siphoned out this morning and then he dried it out inside with rags and remounted the new gauge. Then we got the boat back in the water at noontime and went out to haul traps. The "EVER-RUDE" ran like a clock and we got five keepers, fishing is picking up. We've also started catching a few real large rock crabs, so I'll keep them. Becky and I like to steam a mess of them and then pick out the meat for crabmeat sandwiches.

Rog

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Re: MTD Yardman Transaxle Rebuild

I was sittin here readin over SOME of the old posts on THIS thread....Man ... we have covered so many things
and have gotten opinions going back n forth .... so much is so non-sensical ... I smile then wind-up with laughing
AND all only since last October.
Anyway I was thinking about how this all came to fruition ...THAT Yard-Man mower's transaxle.. !!! I really
can't remember ...was it the carb. first OR the trans ...no matter ..!!!
:laughing: ..:laughing: ..:laughing: ..:laughing: .. We need to think about how this one little thing has brought us so many smiles and lets us form a friendship with folks we have never even met ...YES ..I &
Roger ( the Goomba ) were fortunate to meet in person & have a day together along with the wifeys...
and I think Goomba is going to meet with a few guys from the forum in TEXASSSS next winter break...
so we have a lot to thank over that poor ol trans ... that brought this all together and the mower ,...
with an 18.5 HP eng. that pushed it around .... that mower ..!!! STILL has a RUPTURED-DUCK of a carburetor
on it !! ( LOL )
I for one am glad we have a common bonding in this "meeting-room" I hope it continues for a very, very,
long, long time... we might get to see the carb fixed and the mower turn into a submarine ..who knows ??

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads

Boo,

Yep, it was the transaxle that started this whole thing. That repair went well and has lasted although I haven't run the Yardman a whole lot since fixing it. I guess I'm sort of hoping that the 'Sea Foam' will do it's 'magic' just sitting in the carb. I did run the engine for well over an hour with 'Sea Foam' in the tank.. Nice day today, maybe I'll run it another hour.. I've already hauled traps.. It was flat calm this morning and not bad at 49 degrees, with the sun coming up it promised warmer temps, so we went out high tide and all. Most of our traps are in 65-75-feet of water so that's a lot of hauling by hand. Luckily, neighbor is 20 years younger than me!!

When I got back I touched up the bedroom ceiling. I had painted the tile ceiling, but they are not flat surfaced and I could see places I'd missed the first time, so I went around with a flood light on one hand and a paint brush in the other and touched up about 75% of what I "thought" was done! Looks pretty good now..

Yeah, we had a good time together down your way during the winter. Had fun at that huge flea market, a couple boat trips and a good lunch up in Ocala.. Tom says he's coming up this way in June, so we'll look forward to meeting him too. I don't know if many of the guys are down around Rockport/Corpus Christi, TX, but that's where we'll be next winter.. We're just hoping the fishing is good..

You still on schedule for Thursday???

Rog

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

Boo,

Yep, it was the transaxle that started this whole thing. That repair went well and has lasted although I haven't run the Yardman a whole lot since fixing it. I guess I'm sort of hoping that the 'Sea Foam' will do it's 'magic' just sitting in the carb. I did run the engine for well over an hour with 'Sea Foam' in the tank.. Nice day today, maybe I'll run it another hour.. I've already hauled traps.. It was flat calm this morning and not bad at 49 degrees, with the sun coming up it promised warmer temps, so we went out high tide and all. Most of our traps are in 65-75-feet of water so that's a lot of hauling by hand. Luckily, neighbor is 20 years younger than me!!

When I got back I touched up the bedroom ceiling. I had painted the tile ceiling, but they are not flat surfaced and I could see places I'd missed the first time, so I went around with a flood light on one hand and a paint brush in the other and touched up about 75% of what I "thought" was done! Looks pretty good now..

Yeah, we had a good time together down your way during the winter. Had fun at that huge flea market, a couple boat trips and a good lunch up in Ocala.. Tom says he's coming up this way in June, so we'll look forward to meeting him too. I don't know if many of the guys are down around Rockport/Corpus Christi, TX, but that's where we'll be next winter.. We're just hoping the fishing is good..

You still on schedule for Thursday???

Rog

Yeah 10-4 on Thursday ...unless a pitfall arises... hopefully .. I may not need the next intended op....

primerbulb120

Threads

Prime Number...

I'm glad the rain made it down your way. It didn't rain here today like it was supposed to, so you may not get as much as they say you will. We set a record in Portland yesterday, I think it hit 93 degrees F!! That is crazy weather for Maine in May.

Keep your bumbershoot handy...

I don't think the rain will get here today. Hopefully tomorrow!

Pumper54

Threads

Storms rolled in here about 1:30 AM, thunder and lightening for hours, poor dog was a mess. Got about 1.75 inches of rain in the rain gauge.
Tom

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

HEY primerbulb...
why no avatar ??? WHERE in Fl. are you located ?? Don't make
me send TOM .. the "Texas Ranger" to squeeze it outa ya ...!!! ( LOL )...:laughing: ..:laughing:

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

Roger ...
I was told you know everything about the vessel in this photo .....care to explain ...????

image_520.jpg