The Daily Yardman Thread

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Re: MTD Yardman Transaxle Rebuild

Now in SOUTH Fl. we had "LAWNS", I miss those gorgeous lawns of St. Augustine grass.

Boo! In the Southern-South part of Florida I am familiar with (South of Jewfish Creek on the Over Seas Hwy) they gave up trying to grow grass and simply spread colored stones in their yards and raked them into pretty patterns every now and again. No need for lawn mowers down there!

Rog

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
QUESTIONS of CURIOSITY !

Being "Nosey" ...AGAIN !!
Consider your-self, ( hypothetically if need be) NOT being in the lawn-service business (if you are) , IF, you have your home on a parcel of 1 acre or LESS ! and decided to purchase a mower, considering what YOU know about mowers today,

Would you buy NEW or USED ? ... Why ?
What type would you consider ( 0-turn, tractor style, rear engine rider, walk-behind..( including self-propelled) or, other ..??

IF you were to buy, WHERE would you consider buying it from, dealer, big-box store, private party, auction, other ??

Would you consider hiring a lawn-service ( provided you could afford one of course ) ??

Considering what your knowledge and abilities are, (related to lawn mowers) would you care to maintain your equipment, or have it serviced at a local shop/dealer ??

Finally, is there a specific brand, that you prefer, Why ? and, would you consider a different brand if cost was an issue ??

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

Boo! In the Southern-South part of Florida I am familiar with (South of Jewfish Creek on the Over Seas Hwy) they gave up trying to grow grass and simply spread colored stones in their yards and raked them into pretty patterns every now and again. No need for lawn mowers down there!

Rog

Obviously, you are talking about the "Banana-Republic which is NO-LONGER considered a part of OUR nation !! ..:laughing:..:laughing:

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

Are you stepping on my toes again?:laughing::laughing::laughing:

I have the smart arse problem this week.

WELLLLLLL ... EXCUUUUUSSE ..ME ..!!! ...
:laughing:..:laughing:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Re: QUESTIONS of CURIOSITY !

Being "Nosey" ...AGAIN !!
Consider your-self, ( hypothetically if need be) NOT being in the lawn-service business (if you are) , IF, you have your home on a parcel of 1 acre or LESS ! and decided to purchase a mower, considering what YOU know about mowers today,

Would you buy NEW or USED ? ... Why ?
What type would you consider ( 0-turn, tractor style, rear engine rider, walk-behind..( including self-propelled) or, other ..??

IF you were to buy, WHERE would you consider buying it from, dealer, big-box store, private party, auction, other ??

Would you consider hiring a lawn-service ( provided you could afford one of course ) ??

Considering what your knowledge and abilities are, (related to lawn mowers) would you care to maintain your equipment, or have it serviced at a local shop/dealer ??

Finally, is there a specific brand, that you prefer, Why ? and, would you consider a different brand if cost was an issue ??

Used;- considering I mow now with a fleet of 1966 lawn tractors and because they are made properly with a real chassis I will still be mowing with them till they cart me away.
As for the type it is horses for courses, I love my Victa super 24 as it goes 8' under the bottom wire on a 5 strand farm fence and will chop down trees 2" thick.
The Tractor with a 6 speed 6000 series Peerless box will run forever and is very manoverble when you learn how to drive a mower with no diff, which by the way is exactly the same as a no damage 2 point turn you have to do with ZTR's if you do not want to leave a big wheel rut in the grass.
They also use plain belts which are quite cheap & easy to replace. Rear driven deck so when you hit something the deck goes back and takes the tension off the deck belt so it can slip and naturally swing back blades which are dirt cheap to replace and because they are mounted on a solid disc you can get proper air flow under the deck.

The only modern mower I would consider is one of the articulated ones with out front decks and by prefference the 4WD ones.

Service , always done myself, with everything from mowers to microwaves.
IF you can't fix it you shouldn't own ( or use ) it.

I regard big box stores one small step up from common thiefs, parasites on the economy and the worst example of the evils of greed.

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads

Used;- considering I mow now with a fleet of 1966 lawn tractors and because they are made properly with a real chassis I will still be mowing with them till they cart me away.
As for the type it is horses for courses, I love my Victa super 24 as it goes 8' under the bottom wire on a 5 strand farm fence and will chop down trees 2" thick.
The Tractor with a 6 speed 6000 series Peerless box will run forever and is very manoverble when you learn how to drive a mower with no diff, which by the way is exactly the same as a no damage 2 point turn you have to do with ZTR's if you do not want to leave a big wheel rut in the grass.
They also use plain belts which are quite cheap & easy to replace. Rear driven deck so when you hit something the deck goes back and takes the tension off the deck belt so it can slip and naturally swing back blades which are dirt cheap to replace and because they are mounted on a solid disc you can get proper air flow under the deck.

The only modern mower I would consider is one of the articulated ones with out front decks and by prefference the 4WD ones.

I regard big box stores one small step up from common thief's, parasites on the economy and the worst example of the evils of greed.
damn twice in one month that I agree with you...:cool:

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

I regard big box stores one small step up from common thiefs, parasites on the economy and the worst example of the evils of greed.

Thanks for YOUR reply Bert, pretty informative !! ..:thumbsup:

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads

looks like this winter is going to be another roller coaster ride with the temps........50 today, 40 tomorrow, then 48 then 37 then 30 then 50 by next Tuesday........

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads

looks like this winter is going to be another roller coaster ride with the temps........50 today, 40 tomorrow, then 48 then 37 then 30 then 50 by next Tuesday........

I can handle the ups and downs....as long as we don't do any barrel rolls............