The Daily Yardman Thread

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Re: MTD Yardman Transaxle Rebuild

UT-OH Sorry Goomba,
The ONLY tiller I know about, .. was on the back of some boat ...Lonnnnng , Lonnnng ago !! ..:confused2:

Hard-a-Port Matey! Standby to come about!! Aye, them be the wrong kind of tillers fer sur'... We be talkin' about ground chewing, dirt eatin', rear-tined, earth movin, mothers here.. Not sailboats...

Response at the Troy-Bilt forum thus far has been as lacking in enthusiasm as it was on the JD forum... Sort of discouraging...

You ever look closely at how the belt drive system works on one of these Troy-Bilts? The entire engine and motor-mount/belt-housing assembly moves up and down via a lever that lifts and lowers it. Lifting it tightens two belts on double sheave pulleys, allowing the engine to turn the drive shaft in the transmission. Lowering the lever slacks the belts for neutral. Pushing the lever down compresses a spring and puts pressure on a rotating disc-like wheel which turns a similar wheel on the drive shaft and makes the machine go in reverse. One the 1976 model I have the double sheave pulleys are both the same size, on the 1980 model one pulley sheave is larger than the other and they switch positions on the other pulley, so both belts are the same size.. There must have been a reason for that change.

Oops! I gotta get ready to go lobstering..

See ya..

Rog

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

Just checked your John Deere and Troy-Bilt threads , .... sorry to say Rog ,... seems you're peein in the wind !!
What is the problem ?? Such a difference with the MTD forum , at least here you get a FEW replies ( LOL ) .
I figure MTD folks are friendlier and have a much, much, bigger sense of humor ... we love to laugh while we work !!!
Suggest you use the JD & troybilts as lawn decorations or boat anchors ... ( LMAO ) ..:laughing: ..:laughing: ..:laughing:

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads

Suggest you use the JD & troybilts as lawn decorations or boat anchors ... ( LMAO ) ..:laughing: ..:laughing: ..:laughing:

Boo,

We, as I have the JD engine (a 12.5 HP Kawa) running well and yesterday they took the Troy-Bilt out for another try and it seems to run fine on just the rear belt, I think I'll keep 'em for now..

I looked closely at the two original engines that I took off the two Troy-Bilts and noticed that the Kohler has a 'bump-out' where the shaft comes out of the engine that extends 1/8" further than the engine mounting surface. That would account for the fewer number of shims that engine had behind the double sheave pulleys. I need to look closely at a Predator engine and see if there is a corresponding 'bump' on one of them. If not, then I probably need to add a couple shims to bring the engine pulleys more in alignment with the drive shaft pulleys. the manual sort of implied that the shims were only to help align the reversing wheels, it didn't mention belts. I can't think of anything else that could cause my problem.

yesterday I spent the day in my work shop building a set of "Corn-Hole" game boards! Steady-on now, I'm not pulling your leg, which is what I thought was happening to mine when I was asked to make them! If you look on-line you can find lots of DIY directions for making them. I got a little carried away and routed a rabbet around the edge of the skirt boards and then set the face board in flush for greater strength as I only used 2-3/4" X 3/4" boards for the skirt.

Check it out here: http://www.diynetwork.com/how-to/outdoors/structures/how-to-build-a-regulation-cornhole-set

Rog

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

Boo,

We, as I have the JD engine (a 12.5 HP Kawa) running well and yesterday they took the Troy-Bilt out for another try and it seems to run fine on just the rear belt, I think I'll keep 'em for now..

I looked closely at the two original engines that I took off the two Troy-Bilts and noticed that the Kohler has a 'bump-out' where the shaft comes out of the engine that extends 1/8" further than the engine mounting surface. That would account for the fewer number of shims that engine had behind the double sheave pulleys. I need to look closely at a Predator engine and see if there is a corresponding 'bump' on one of them. If not, then I probably need to add a couple shims to bring the engine pulleys more in alignment with the drive shaft pulleys. the manual sort of implied that the shims were only to help align the reversing wheels, it didn't mention belts. I can't think of anything else that could cause my problem.

yesterday I spent the day in my work shop building a set of "Corn-Hole" game boards! Steady-on now, I'm not pulling your leg, which is what I thought was happening to mine when I was asked to make them! If you look on-line you can find lots of DIY directions for making them. I got a little carried away and routed a rabbet around the edge of the skirt boards and then set the face board in flush for greater strength as I only used 2-3/4" X 3/4" boards for the skirt.

Check it out here: http://www.diynetwork.com/how-to/outdoors/structures/how-to-build-a-regulation-cornhole-set

Rog

Believe it or not Rog,.. Corn-hole is a pretty popular game here in Central Fl. Mostly found at family get-togethers, re-unions , county fairs are a very popular place to find em too! First time I heard about the game , I grabbed my runnin shoes n hauled arse outa there !! I also heard its VERY popular in places like Calif. and NOLA where they separate the Men from the Boys ... with a crowbar !! ( LMAO ) ...:laughing: ..:laughing: ..:laughing:

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Corn Hole Game & Seals!

Believe it or not Rog,.. Corn-hole is a pretty popular game here in Central Fl. Mostly found at family get-togethers, re-unions , county fairs are a very popular place to find em too! First time I heard about the game , I grabbed my runnin shoes n hauled arse outa there !! I also heard its VERY popular in places like Calif. and NOLA where they separate the Men from the Boys ... with a crowbar !! ( LMAO ) ...:laughing: ..:laughing: ..:laughing:

Yeah Boo.. I heard you there! I reacted the same way when they asked me to make a Corn Hole Game! I said, "No way! Homey don't play those games!!" I cleaned up my shop this morning, I'm going to primer paint both boards after lunch.

Hey! We had an altercation with a friggin' SEAL this morning.. Not the Navy kind, the wet furry kind! We have five of our traps set in a cut that runs between the North end of the island and the mainland and when we hauled them this morning, three of them had been opened up and the bait bags were empty! We only had two lobsters in all three traps too! There is a heavy duty bungee cord that holds the trap cover shut and we had added a carabiner style clip mid-way on the opening side of the door. That bugger undid the bungee cord (it has a three fingered clip that goes over the wire to hold it in place) and then bent the wire cover up enough to get to the bait bag which is a net bag made of nylon cord with a draw-string top that is tied off to a cleat inside the trap, undid that cord and opened the bait bag and ate all the herring out of it!

It actually had the 'stones' to pop up to the surface several times while we were there, we figured it was watching where we set the re-baited traps so it wouldn't have to hunt for them! I tried using the carabiner clip to hold the three fingered clip in place as the bungee cord is really rugged. Maybe that will keep 'em out! Smart dang buggers though..

Rog

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Lobster stealing Seals!!

Boo, et. al...

Here's a video of a string of two traps, both of which have been opened by seals! You can see the bungee cord I spoke of that holds the cover shut, . I have clipped the gripper to the trap wire with a carabiner. We'll see if that works!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmmt-_XmGoo

Here's a HUGE lobster caught off Petit Manan, Maine. We are not allowed to keep lobsters over 5" long (along their carapace) which would be about a 3-1/2 pounder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKN_2Xu0wDg

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

ROGER , you got me so hungry my stomach thinks my throats been slit !! MMmmmm Surf N Turf !!! ..:thumbsup:..:thumbsup:

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
How to eat a lobster

ROGER , you got me so hungry my stomach thinks my throats been slit !! MMmmmm Surf N Turf !!! ..:thumbsup:..:thumbsup:

Boo,

It is a crime in my family to mix lobster with anything else, OR to cook lobsters any way except by steaming them.. When we eat lobsters we have so many of them you wouldn't have any room for anything else anyway.

Although this guy sort of goes at it back-***-wards, he does eat 'most' of his lobster. I like the 'little-legs' best of all, so I start with them, then the knuckles and claws, then the tail and then I carefully pick ALL the meat out of the body, tedious, but worth it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duqYylgxdX8

Note: I have been known to shake just a little "Slap-Ya-Mama" on lobster sandwiches since I was introduced to the stuff a couple years ago, but DON'T tell my mother! She'd skin me alive for adulterating a lobster sandwich!!

Melt up some butter and enjoy!

Rog

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

EEEEEeeiiiiiiiiiiiiii CHI-WA-WA ...
First it's a go-around with James Lewcious (primer) over string trimmer useage, and now with Goomba over
how to eat a " bug " ( that's what lobsters are called here in Fl. cause ours don't have those claws ) But they're
just as tasty , and a lot less work ! When WE have Surf N Turf the Filet Mignon is the most delectable portion of the meal , the lobster tail is a savory scrumptious companion dish that compliments the best of Beef ! ..:cool2:.. ..:cool:

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads

You have not had good Maine lobster then. It is amazing. We had some flown in for a Christmas party. It was delish. Best part of the meal. I so crave a good lobster. Missouri is not known for its seafood. So wish it was. Down in the southern part of Missouri we are know for Springfield style Cashew chicken and catfish. I do not eat catfish.