The Daily Yardman Thread

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Re: MTD Yardman Transaxle Rebuild

Blaze,

I'm kinda hopin' that the Sea Foam will dissolve whatever it is that's crudding up the carb.. Am I dreamin'?

Rog

Little secret: Sea Foam is just kerosene.

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads

Little secret: Sea Foam is just kerosene.

I doesn't look, smell, feel or - (well, I have to admit, I didn't actually 'taste' it) like kerosene.. I does however 'smoke' like kerosene.

What I want to know is this: If just slightly chocking the engine gets it to smooth out, does that mean the carb is set to lean? If I rich the mixture up just a little won't that do the same thing?

Speaking of kerosene, I'll bet none of you youngsters ever had to clean out the float-fuel-level assembly and a multi-wick burner for a wood stove conversion and trim all the wicks, have you? When I was a kid several of my relatives heated their homes with wood fired kitchen stoves that had been converted to burn kerosene. Two round canisters about the size of a number 10 can would be placed in the fire box after the grates were removed. Inside these canisters were a series of consecutively smaller round wicks, each separated by a steel ring (like a bottomless can). K-1 was fed to the bottom of the canister by a level control that sat on the floor behind the stove. K-1 was fed to it via gravity, meaning that your fuel tank sat outside the house up on legs high enough to be above the level of the float control. A carefully adjusted float allowed fuel into the bottom of the wick canister and once the wicks were trimmed correctly and ignited they kept the stove at a nice even temperature. All these houses stayed in the 80's all winter! The stove surface was just the right temperature for making soups, etc...

I looked on line to see if there was anything about these burners available. All I could find were some of the wicks on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Origina...252844?hash=item5446555eec:g:MvQAAOSw5cNYJ5SH

My favorite Aunt was the last of my relatives to have a rig like this and I became her "oil" man, meaning that cleaning out the level control and trimming her wicks became my job. I don't know what the efficiency rating of burners like that would be, but once you had a 500 pound cast iron stove heated up, you sure as hell weren't going to be cold!

Ahhhhhh, the 'Good Old Days'....

Roger B

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

Back to the issue ...SLACKER ...( LOL )

Time to plop your "set-down" down ... and decide you're going to get into this carburetor ...
do you still have the manuals I sent..?? How about the HOW-TO tutorial with pics ..??

........http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/briggs_intek_single_ohv_nikki_carb.asp

Remember I told ya ... being careful you can get it apart WITHOUT destroying most gaskets etc.
the parts are available as separate pieces also ! ( kit is ABOUT $ 40.00 )
You might want to FIND your acetylene torch ..tip-cleaner ... OR ..God forbid !! you can buy a NEW one ..!!!
You need THAT to clean all the crud outa your ears ...seems you don't hear well ..never mind
I forgot...you CAN hear... you're just stubborn & lazy ...Ha,Ha,Ha,Ha,Ha,Ha,Ha !!!
Just use the tip-cleaner for those teeny - tiny - really, I can't see that ... passages in the carb.
And remember ...He who Hesitates is LOST !!

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads

I doesn't look, smell, feel or - (well, I have to admit, I didn't actually 'taste' it) like kerosene.. I does however 'smoke' like kerosene.

What I want to know is this: If just slightly choking the engine gets it to smooth out, does that mean the carb is set to lean? If I rich the mixture up just a little won't that do the same thing?

Roger B

They just refine it much more than the cheep stuff.

Yes rich up the mixture and it will run better till the blockage clears then it will be running way too rich.

"And remember ...He who Hesitates is LOST !!":biggrin::biggrin:

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

They just refine it much more than the cheep stuff.

Yes rich up the mixture and it will run better till the blockage clears then it will be running way too rich.

"And remember ...He who Hesitates is LOST !!":biggrin::biggrin:

OH NO... It's spreading... ANOTHER LOST and wayward soul gone into the land of the lazies ... AAAgggggHHHHH!!
Roger !! ... I'm gonna see about a Captains Mast for you ..!! This is a possible MUTINY !!

Don't make me call in the Fly-boys ...!!! ...:laughing: ..:laughing: ..:laughing:

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

UHHH ... jus so ya's know...I've got 3 of these keepin me busy ... building-up a deck for the red one ( it's sold)

PLUS all the usual Honey-Dos .. and of course all MY own pet projects !!

..........DSCN2499.jpg...DSCN2498.jpg

NO slackin here ya know !! ...:laughing: ..:laughing: ..:thumbsup:

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Troubleshooting & Dogs

Boo-Boo,

I taught electronic theory, troubleshooting and advanced maintenance for sonar systems for three years in the Sub Service, so I understand the steps of troubleshooting. However, you have to have a thorough understanding of the complete system you are working on in order to apply it. I have already figured out that I have a carburetor problem, and now I'm trying the simplest thing first. (That's following proper procedures - right?) . . . . If this effort fails, then I'll move onto the next stage, which will entail tearing down the carb and reaming it's itsy-bitsy orifices out with welding tip cleaners.. (a.k.a. - tiny wires..)

I couldn't help but notice that two of your three project mowers had plastic bags tied to the steering-wheels. Are they an option you include for your potential buyers? "Rebuilt Mower for sale.. Complete with Dog schitt bagging equipment.."

You ARE a thoughtful guy..

Rog

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Boo,

I've also figured out why you do multiple posts! You are trying to get to that stratospheric 1,000 post level! You're already at a "Platinum" level! . . . Platinum is a very rare metal, where can you go from there ?? .... Taiwanium? . . . Plastinium?

Or perhaps truly rare stuff from the lanthanide series: like Dysprosium, or Europium or maybe even Neodymium - (makes GREAT magnets!!) I guess if you can post "Sticky notes" then you are a Neodymium Member..

I save the tiny Neodymium magnets from the bottom of my sonic toothbrushes when the brush wears out. I think if you had one of these tiny magnets on the tip of each of your fingers and toes, you could climb up the side of a steel building, assuming that you could pull your hand away to move it up to the next location! They are STRONG!!!

Rog

Pumper54

Threads

Greetings my fellow mower heads, glad to see this thread has not gone away as it should.

Rog that ship is beautiful, I have always loved wooden boats and a gaff rigged schooner tops my dream list but I know I will never own one. The Gulf of Mexico is not to kind to wooden vessels. As to your carb issue, like the others have said it sounds like it needs a good cleaning but something else to check is make sure it is tight against the intake as you might have a small intake leak that the added choke covers up.

Been off line for a few days as I needed to have a wisdom tooth removed so I was feeling kinda punky but watch out I am back. LOL

Tom