The Daily Yardman Thread

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Still More Irma

Still not much available out of the Keys, which is very worrisome. It may be sometime before we know how bad things are down there.

Check out this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CNEdHh7pFU

Tom, be sure to see the guy on the motorcycle at about 1:08..

Roger

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Re: More irma

I expect that Boo-Boo is currently without power and is therefore incommunicardo. We will all have to wait on pins and needles until we hear from him again and learn how Irma has affected his family and his area. I have still not seen anything from the Keys, so I can only hope that my friends down that way chose to evacuate. They were all kids during Hurricane Donna (1960) and some of them spent that Cat4 storm in the Buccaneer Lodge where their parents put them up in the attic through a scuttle in the ceiling while the adults stood on tables up to their shoulders in water. They could hear the waves breaking on the roof! Needless to say that was an adventure none of them have ever forgotten and I expect the threat of a repeat storm of that magnitude would be all the encouragement they would need to head North!

If anyone has any info on the Keys, I would appreciate hearing about it.

I hope all in Irma's wake have survived intact and offer my best wishes to all who are still in it's grip and those it will yet effect. At least it has been downgraded to a Tropical Storm, but that means it expended a great deal of it's energy along nearly the entire Florida Peninsular. It will take weeks to return things to any semblance of normalcy.

Roger

OK you guys here I am Spic N Span after the schitt hit the fan !! we good, just got up,.. runnin on gen @ broher in laws,shuttin Gen down every often to conserve gas no puter @ those times. NO word on the keys yet, we had light damage here in Leesburg ,Gotta go, shuttin-down gen....When I can..will inform yall...Boo

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Re: More irma

OK you guys here I am Spic N Span after the schitt hit the fan !! we good, just got up,.. runnin on gen @ broher in laws,shuttin Gen down every often to conserve gas no puter @ those times. NO word on the keys yet, we had light damage here in Leesburg ,Gotta go, shuttin-down gen....When I can..will inform yall...Boo

Boo,

Glad you guys survived...

We'll all look forward to hearing more later.

Rog

Pumper54

Threads
Re: MTD Yardman Transaxle Rebuild

Boo, great to hear y'all are OK.
Rog, that would leave a stain in the shorts but why he was hanging out there in the weather like that is beyond me. Hope that was a near miss and not a hit.

Tom

NorthBama

Threads

Great news from Boo. Glad you only had minor damage. Hope the power is repaired soon. Looks like Charleston South Carolina getting pounded with rain.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

Glad to hear you are safe

I can't imagine how you two are amusing yourselves when the lights go out :ashamed:

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Irma aftermath

News trickles in: We are friends with two couples who have homes on St Johns USVI. I was with one couple on Saturday when they found a picture taken by helicopter that showed their home to be intact. The were greatly relieved. Then later their caretaker got in touch with them somehow and told them both their cars were destroyed (a tree fell on one) and their hot tub had slid around on their deck, water and all and had damaged their siding, but other than that the house was fine. The other couple have not heard anything yet.

I got word from another old Keys friend - (who moved to NC years ago) that my buddy who I was most concerned about (he's the sort that would stay come hell or high water - and in this case I'd say they got both!!) - She told me that there is a picture of him working his tow truck on Facebook. So evidently he survived. Also my buddies bar on Big Pine (Coconuts) survived, but I don't know about them yet. There are still a few others we've heard nothing about. Friends from Bradenton went to Atlanta and are now headed back, my brother-in-laws, - brothers family - hunkered down in place in Jacksonville and we're still waiting to hear from them. No word yet from my buddy in Altamonte Springs, near Orlando.

No word from anyone in Crystal River yet either, so that is a concern. Still hoping for more responses from Boo-Boo, he's our "boots on the ground" reporter..

Roger

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Re: Irma aftermath

News trickles in: We are friends with two couples who have homes on St Johns USVI. I was with one couple on Saturday when they found a picture taken by helicopter that showed their home to be intact. The were greatly relieved. Then later their caretaker got in touch with them somehow and told them both their cars were destroyed (a tree fell on one) and their hot tub had slid around on their deck, water and all and had damaged their siding, but other than that the house was fine. The other couple have not heard anything yet.

I got word from another old Keys friend - (who moved to NC years ago) that my buddy who I was most concerned about (he's the sort that would stay come hell or high water - and in this case I'd say they got both!!) - She told me that there is a picture of him working his tow truck on Facebook. So evidently he survived. Also my buddies bar on Big Pine (Coconuts) survived, but I don't know about them yet. There are still a few others we've heard nothing about. Friends from Bradenton went to Atlanta and are now headed back, my brother-in-laws, - brothers family - hunkered down in place in Jacksonville and we're still waiting to hear from them. No word yet from my buddy in Altamonte Springs, near Orlando.

No word from anyone in Crystal River yet either, so that is a concern. Still hoping for more responses from Boo-Boo, he's our "boots on the ground" reporter..

Roger

ADDENDUM: Just got a picture from the other couple with a house on St Johns. It shows their house (from the air) but it is apparent that some of the doors and storm shutters have been blown open. That doesn't bode well...

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Re: Irma aftermath

ADDENDUM: Just got a picture from the other couple with a house on St Johns. It shows their house (from the air) but it is apparent that some of the doors and storm shutters have been blown open. That doesn't bode well...

Further Update: We just heard from the owners of our prospective unit in Florida. it was spared! No damage! We get to escape another winter!! Whoopie!!

Brother-in-laws . . . brother is OK in JAX

Things are looking up! However, with 25% of the homes in the Keys destroyed, we won't relax until we know everyone down there is safe. Evidently the new bridges to the Keys must have been made well and they all survived. Several of the old bridges were destroyed during Donna in 1960. (Many of them however, were old Rail Road bridges from Henry Flagler's RR, including the old Seven Mile bridge. They actually used the old RR tracks for uprights and railings. They can still be seen slowly rusting away. And the northern end of the old 7 Mile is still maintained so folks can get out to Pidgeon Key.. Nuff of that crap! . . . I'm just excited to have a wintering hideout and that some of my friends are OK..

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Boo Boo has slipped off the map

After that one posting from Boo Boo, we haven't heard anything, which is very out of character for him! As far as I can determine Leesburg where he holed up wasn't badly impacted and I wonder if he headed back to his home which is in a more rural area almost directly North of Leesburg and they do not have power restored there yet.

No emails, no PM's and no posts.. Not like Boo.. Let's all keep our fingers crossed that he and his family are well and that we'll hear from them soon..

Roger