The Daily Yardman Thread

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Re: Tupelo Honey

Ron,

I have a question for you. I am like a black bear, in that I LOVE honey! And my favorite honey is Tupelo, which comes from flowering tupelo trees which only grow in swamps that stretch across from Northern Florida, into Mississippi. For some reason over the last three years, the bees haven't been able to collect as much nectar from tupelo trees as they have in the past and the cost of Tupelo Honey had damn near doubled! I was wondering if you know any apiarist involved in gathering tupelo honey and how their Spring went this year?

Rog

It is a problem with the bees, a very big problem . We could very well be staring down world starvation.
There is a bug called the Veroa mite that is destroying bee colonies all around the world with the exception of Aust & NZ, because we are islands.
It's spread was made a lot faster because of the intense massive monocultures of large ari-business farms that pay apiarist to come from all over the country to pollinate their crops because they have wiped out every other flowering plant so after the corn/ maize/ canola is pollinated there is nothing else for the bees to feed on so the apiarist from the east cost infected the bees from the west coast .
Thus at the moment the entire USA & EU agriculture sector is near 100% dependent on getting queen bees from down here .
While some small apiarists actually make good money from selling their honey the bulk of them make their living from providing pollination services.
Europe, where the mite problem originated, very quickly passes bio-control proceedures through the ECU but in the USA where it is state government controlled the proper bio - control proceedures are yet to be legislated and even then it is highly doubtful that they will be enforced.
Honey prices down here have tripled because we are exporting so much honey and queen bees thus only the premium brands of honey are widely available and then we have initiated strong bio-controls over bee movements and over chemical use.
Periodically there is no honey on the shelves and food processors who used to use honey have changed their formulas to use treakle or molassas from cane sugar and that is why sugar prices have gone up.
AS over 75% of the food we eat is bee pollinated this is a very serious problem that rarely gets a mention.
Naturally the prime suspects Monsanto / Beyer etc are working on a chemical solution to the pollination and denying that long term pesticide use has anything to do with the Veroa problem.
Oddly enough the small organic type farms with their own captive bee populations seem far less affected than the large scale operations so some work is going down the genetic improvement of bees path along the lines that natural selection has been circumvented by apiarists over the past 50 years and thus we now have genetically inferiour bees which are no longer able to live with Veroa that has been around for centuries.
However the small organic farmers can not feed the entire worlds population .
Another strain of research is working with bees native to individual countries that are very selective pollinators to see if they can be trained to feed on commercial food crop pollen thus long term replacing Cappilarno Italianarno, which is the only bee that will pollinate any flower that has pollen which is why the entire world uses it to pollinate food crops in the first place.
Funny when you think about it that every one is captivated by some fanatic Korean who might blow up the world while in reality we could be wiped out by a mite .
So enjoy your honey wile you ca get it and plant things in your garden that are selectively pollinated by native USA bees or better still get a native honey bee hive installed at you property.

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads
Re: MTD Yardman Transaxle Rebuild

stay high and dry Boo.....

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads

Rog, your compressor will not keep up even with short bursts....might want to consider buying a 240 volt unit and upgrading you air supply needs....I am guessing your current air compressor is a sealed motor 120 volt unit..........not only that, you could tie your existing compressor tank into the newer tank for increased use capacity .
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...MIko6up-aO1gIVmlcNCh1wCAaNEAYYBSABEgJ8y_D_BwE

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

stay high and dry Boo.....

Thanks Doc, ... This thing is packin winds OVER 185 mph. Sure hopin it loses strength if it hits the Islands, ( those poor %$#@&%$ should have ALL -E-vacd outa there.. ) A real Super-Storm as of tonight !! I'd be lyin if I said I ain't worried, Wifey won't leave the cats here, and head to shelter, tryin to convince her to be realistic, HMmmm we'll see !

NorthBama

Threads

Be Safe Boo hope that big storm doesn't come your way. Wife has relatives living on one of the Turks island praying they will be ok. Irma will hit them tomorrow.

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Re: Tupelo Honey

It is a problem with the bees, a very big problem .

Bertman - (or is it 'BEEman'??)

I used to keep honey bees back in the late 70's early 80's (before the current problems were serious) so I am familiar with what is going on with them. I was very proud to have taken 90 pounds of honey off one hive - (and still left two hive bodies full for the bees to winter over on) - which is outstanding for Maine.

The Tupelo problem has more to do with the flowering trees than a lack of bees, but I don't know what is causing it. Last winter was very mild along the Southern coast and I was hoping that may have improved the flower set on those trees.

Are you a honey aficionado too?

Rog

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads

Rog, your compressor will not keep up even with short bursts....might want to consider buying a 240 volt unit and upgrading you air supply needs....I am guessing your current air compressor is a sealed motor 120 volt unit..........not only that, you could tie your existing compressor tank into the newer tank for increased use capacity .
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...MIko6up-aO1gIVmlcNCh1wCAaNEAYYBSABEgJ8y_D_BwE

Geez Doc,

I didn't want to hear that! I was hoping to be able to work with my existing double 'hot-dog' tank compressor at least in short bursts. My shop is only 18' X 20' and I have no room for a large compressor. As it is I had to steal some space in the back of the garage for this sand blasting cabinet and I had hoped to add a small bench and perhaps a parts washer in that space eventually.

I won't spend much on my compressor connections to the cabinet..

Rog

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hurricane Irma

Right now we gettin ready for "IRMA" damn sure going to get effects of it no matter which way it goes, we keep a Hurricane box of stuff handy, and go through it each season and restore whats needed, living in the forest is almost a good thing, as the trees do tend to kill the intensity of the winds, last year our neighbor lost his carport, but it was a piss-poor installation in the first place. Just glad it didn't get totally airborne, and fly over here, his Ins. replaced it and this time it was checked by code-enforcement, that made the installers add extra strengthening plates and supports. Good-deal !! Wifey gets all Jervis & Nerky when the wind starts howling through the trees like in an ol horror movie, I get that way when I see things airborne, that shouldn't be outside without being tied down ... Well things to do yet, later guys........ Boo

Boo,

We will be thinking of you guys as this monster storm approaches and will keep our fingers crossed for everyone's safety.

I was glad to see Scott mobilized the Nat'l Guard, declared an emergency for the entire state and shut down all toll booths. At least he has his schitt together..

I am very concerned about my friends in the Keys, but they, like you, have all been through it before, so they know what to do.

I was in Key West in Sept. of 1965 when Hurricane "Betsy" went through the Keys. That's not a good place to be in a storm like that.

Good luck brother, batten down the hatches, stay safe and take care of the wife.

Rog

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

THANKS to ALL our well wishers, Never went to a shelter in 58 years but I was single with NO responsibilities, THIS-TIME it's another story, shelter seems the best bet, or go to wifes sisters place in Leesburg ... Animals, Theirs & Ours is biggest problem, trying to go over everything, but its chaos, and the lines are forming EVERYWHERE , we got gas, filled both vehicles, and 10 gal. for the Generator IF we get bak to here, last year we lost power for 6 days, they have a hard time gettin to remote places, big towns and municipal services come first, (as they should) Oh well, Don't know how long we'll lose cellphone service either , last year I think it was out for 3 or 4 days, Back later, wifey is callin me for something......

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
G@&%@M Chinese Junk!!!!

I'm finally getting ready to install the replacement engine on the second Troy-Bilt Rototiller and I forgot that the 212cc, 6.5 HP Predator (Chinese built, Honda clone from Harbor Freight) is a direct replacement except for one little thing. The bolt that holds the drive pulley assembly and reversing wheel onto the drive shaft. The original engines (Kohler or Tecumseh) have a 3/8 - 24 X 1-1/2" bolt, but the Predator's use a 5/16 -24 bolt. I was lucky on the first Troy-Bilt, as I was able to find the right bolt in my spare stock. Not so lucky today, the only 5/16-24 bolt I have is only 3/4" long, which is 1/2" too short.. One more thing to add to my never ending shopping list. (At least it's cheaper than the 3 HP, 240 VAC air compressor that Doc says I'm going to need to run my new sand blaster!

Oh well, off to the hardware store...

Rog