The Daily Yardman Thread

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Re: MTD Yardman Transaxle Rebuild

About 80 miles away. That would be a big catapult!

OK primer ... You need to put some LAUGHTER in your life... I been lookin at some of your posts and at times you're too "stuft-shirt"
did'nt ya ever pull pranks on people ??? get together with the guys in a B/S session, a few brewskis, a few jokes ,...???
and like in the Air Force if we did'nt know your name (out of uniform) we jus called EVERYBODY ... CLYDE !! so i officially dub thee ...Clyde !!
:laughing: ..:thumbsup: ..:laughing: ..:thumbsup: ..:cool2:

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads

AHH ..UHHhh I heard YOU & a few compadres got a lil snockered one evening and decided to take a Navy sub for a " JOY-RIDE "
and this was the end result of that brief excursion ..WELLLLL ????

Boo,

While in the Navy, I will admit to the following unauthorized "excursions" :

1.) A rather unexpected ride down the Thames river in New London, CT on a "camel". (You have to know what a "camel" is in Naval parlance to get a picture of this.) Rescued by the USCG.

2.) A evening 'cruise' around Long Bay off Charlotte Amalie, St Thomas USVI in a "borrowed" sailing pram.

3.) An aborted effort to - (hmmmm, borrow - no . . . liberate - no . . . ahhh hell, might as well own up to it - "Steal" an Italian YO. (Yard Oiler - which is a small vessel used to refuel ships in the harbor.) This harbor happened to be in Naples Italy.

4.) A REALLY STUPID effort to take over an Italian Frigate! This came about because we couldn't figure out how to start the YO and the Frigate was already running.. (Indicated by the smoke coming out of the stack.) Unfortunately, the Frigate was also full of Italian sailors, none of whom took our effort to confiscate their ship lightly! Admittedly it did take several minutes to wake them all up at 0200, but once they WERE awake, they were really pissed! There must have been a couple hundred of them and only about 60 submarine sailors (off three different submarines) - all coming back to their boats following the 1967 Submarine Birthday Ball in Naples and thus all drunk as skunks. I happened to be with my new best buddy (BFF-in todays world) named "Lurch" who was a Torpedoman off the 'Grayback'. We had made it all the way to the bridge before the schitt really hit the fan, and when the lights all came on and Italians came out of everywhere, (sort of like kicking a hornets nest!!) Lurch and I jumped overboard and actually escaped! My Corpsman later told me I'd probably die from Hepatitis from swimming in Naples Harbor, but I'm still here some 50 years later!!

5.) It would take too long to tell this entire story, but we actually did take over an English lifeboat when we were in Palermo, Sicily. The Limeys had raided us early one Sunday morning, but we were able to lure them close enough to us so that several guys were able to leap into their lifeboat and throw them overboard. Later we were also able to fly a homemade flag from their bridge that stated: "This ship has been captured by the USS Cobbler SS-344". But we didn't really capture their ship, just one of it's lifeboats, but that was their fault, they started it. I also 'flew' a Navy 'white hat' (although nothing in a diesel submarine is truly "white" for very long) off their jackstaff.. But that's yet another part of this lengthy story.

I never - I repeat, NEVER! Was involved with the misappropriation of a submarine, US or otherwise. All submarine cruises, deployments and 'runs' were fully authorized by the government.. . . Of course I can't really tell you about any of them, because if I did, they'd kill ME!!

Oh, as an aside, - not to my involvement with the misuse of someone else's boats, but to the derring-do of others - specifically Aussies in this case.. (Note: Never, NEVER go drinking with Aussie's or Limeys, for that matter) When we (USS Sailfish SS-572) were in Hong Kong Harbor, two Aussie divers swam across from their ship in the middle of the night and painted the likeness of a pink kangaroo on our aft rudder. Our topside watch at the time was severely chastised over that incident.

And that, children, is all the time we have for Sea Stories tonight...

Roger Ramjet ST1/SS
Submariner Extrodinaire
1964-1974

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads

Goomba...
About that mixture screw on your carb . ..... That plastic thing on THAT screw is called a limiter cap...more E.P.A. BULLSCHITT..!!!
I just use a pair of side-cutters ( KLEIN preferred) to chew away at it until I get it off... BEING CAREFUL NOT to bend or distort
the screw itself ....!!! heres a couple of pics of BEFORE & AFTER removal clik ONCE to open... clik AGAIN to ENLARGE.. but you knew that !!

View attachment 32324

View attachment 32325

View attachment 32326

View attachment 32327

Boo,

Yep that's it! (Although I didn't see the relationship of picture #3.) Should I 'remove' said plastic 'limiter' and give my jet screw full travel? Or will it really do me any good?

Rog

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads

About 80 miles away. That would be a big catapult!

Prime Number.

80 miles away from what? Boo-Boo's hide out? How do you know where he is??

Rog

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads

OK primer ... You need to put some LAUGHTER in your life... I been lookin at some of your posts and at times you're too "stuft-shirt"
did'nt ya ever pull pranks on people ??? get together with the guys in a B/S session, a few brewskis, a few jokes ,...???
and like in the Air Force if we did'nt know your name (out of uniform) we jus called EVERYBODY ... CLYDE !! so i officially dub thee ...Clyde !!
:laughing: ..:thumbsup: ..:laughing: ..:thumbsup: ..:cool2:

Boo - DUDE!! You gotta lighten up on the guy... Not everybody is a whacky as you and I are!! . . . Caused no doubt by too little air pressure in your case (flying too high) and too damn much pressure in mine!

You have to go s-l-o-w-l-y with some folks, not hit 'em with a hammer and then expect them to suddenly change their personality.. (Although they might get mad real quick!)

At least Prime Number is contributing to this unending thread of useless information and not just following along like who knows how many others - that won't even add a single word of encouragement or any other comment..

Be gentle, be kind, be . . . oh t'hell with it, you're just gonna 'be' Boo-Boo and this place wouldn't be what it is without you!! Primer's a big boy, he can take care of himself..

Rog

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

Boo,

Yep that's it! (Although I didn't see the relationship of picture #3.) Should I 'remove' said plastic 'limiter' and give my jet screw full travel? Or will it really do me any good?

Rog

Yea Goomba.. jus get rid of the cap... then the screw is a fully adjustable needle like the ol days !! before ya go adjusting it ..
AFTER ya remove and get rid of the cap... screw the needle IN ...COUNTING the turns for a POINT of REFERENCE !! you KNOW !!
remove the needle & check for distorted tip, .. bad threads etc.. you know the rest ... GET on with it !! Hopefully ... you can adjust the carb to lose the surge... but I think you will have to do a cleaning ....ANOTHER CHAPTER ...( LOL )

Oh the pic... I jus like sending em ...!!! ..:laughing:

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

Yes. He told me. :biggrin:

Clyde :)laughing:)

OHHHHhhh YEEEAHHHH HELLLOooo Clyde ... NOW your gettin in the spirit !!! Guess all we had to do is wake n shake him Rog ,... he's ALIVE !!!

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads

Yes. He told me. :biggrin:

Clyde :)laughing:)

Clyde - - - Really?? . . . You like "Clyde" better than Prime Number?.. OK...

So give me a compass heading.. 80 miles in which direction from Point Bravo.. (Bravo = Boo Boo)

I was about 50 miles directly West from point Bravo last winter.

Now I'm 1,500 miles N.E. of there.

Rog

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Carb Needle Valve

Boo,

OK, I gotta go out and haul traps first and them make a dump run, (I filled my utility trailer with some rotten wood), but then I'll 'remove' said plastic 'limiter' , carefully note how many turns 'open' it currently is and then see if the needle is clean and sharp, spray some Sea Foam into the resulting 'hole' and then reinsert the needle and see what adjusting it does to smooth out engine operation.

There has got to be a means of 'fixing' this carb without resorting to Boo-Boo's total tear-down manuals..

It was mighty thick out there this mornin', now I'll tell ya.. Couldn't see ya hand in front of ya face.. But she's lifted now so we won't need a guide seal to find our trap buoys.

Gotta go get inta m'Grundens and m'boots...

Rog