The Daily Yardman Thread

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads
Re: MTD Yardman Transaxle Rebuild

spent some time in the garage working on one of my farmalls' replacing rear main and clutch
IMG_5673.jpg
IMG_5666.jpg
IMG_5670.jpg
IMG_5667.jpg
IMG_5672.jpg

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Re: DC Variable Speed motors

You got it right Chuck, quality and dependability went out the door long ago, and that's another reason I switched from buying a domestic car to a rice-burner ! I just can't understand why all these recalls, what the hell is wrong with these people that used to evaluate the items they install on these vehicles these days, just look at the GM ignition switch problem, and the huge fiasco over the air-bag issues among others ! seems you have to pay a fortune for a quality product but then why do they have to gouge you ?? I used to be an aircraft mechanic, we took pride in our parts and our repairs, everything was top quality and was ultra dependable, parts AND labor guaranteed !! but I got out of that trade when the FAA relaxed it's guidelines and foreign companies started doing a major portion of the business, resulting in shoddy parts and workmanship. The older mowers I have, ( even my 2 Murrays about 14 years old ) are easy to fix and even being on the bottom of the price range, seem to hold up better than some of today's brand new equipment being offered. As they used to say ... Go Figure ! ...

:thumbdown:..:mur:..:smiley_aafz:

Again Boo it is greed again.
Joe public demands CHEAPER everything every year and companies who make good value high quality products go bankrupt because in the greedy ignorant eyes of Joe Public they are overpriced rip offs.
The billionaires who run big business pay a fortune , usually to Hollywood to enforce these ideas so they will make ever increasing profits from idiots buying the garbage they make in ever increasing quantaties.
Companies that sell garbage like Wally & HF get bigger and more profitable every year while companies like Sears who sell good quality durable goods are once again in receivership.
Joe Public want to have everything yesterday and put a picture of it on Farce Book to show how "smart" & "Effliuent" they are.
Ford made junk cars and became one of the richest men on the planet .
Royce made the best cars in the world and died a pauper.

You only have to look at the posts on this list.
All the cretians wanting advice on which $ 500 ride on is the best when the answer is they are all junk and that is the right price of a reasonable quality walk behind.

Europe fixed this problem decades ago by making manufactureres liable for the disposal & recycling of their products.
One reason why we see prices being so much higher in Europe but then the volumes are so much lower because their mowers are far more durable than anything made in the USA.
Also the reason why Europe was into China a decade earlier than the USA.

As for things I know nothing about , like air cons, which I don't have because we paid extra to have a house built ( well remodled to be truthful ) so it has proper breezeways, a real cold side complete with fern house and a hot side.
Built on piers so cool air can flow between the wall cavities, thus it does not need expensive air conditioning for the 10 or so days when we top 100 each year.
I always start looking at the most expensive units with the longest warranty period. SWMBO & I argue about these endlessly but the first fridge ran 25 years and the second is 18 years old.
The bar fridges we keep our every day things in have gone about 15 years, but they work hard as we open those doors a dozen times an hour where as the main fridge get opened one or twice a day.
The neighbour over the road, rebuilt onto a concrete slab because it was more thermally efficient that the previous house on piers. Which is true so the first time he forgets to put the air con on and the house hits 70 inside it takes a week to cool it down. He had to fit another Weatherwall on the other side of his house to keep it cool and his electricity bill per quarter is $ 2500 which is more than my bill annually, but he does have 3 bathrooms while we only have the 1 bathroom and a second externally accessible toilet cause I can no longer wait long enough to unlace my boots and boots inside the house = lack of testicles.

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Re: DC Variable Speed motors

Again Boo it is greed again.
Joe public demands CHEAPER everything every year and companies who make good value high quality products go bankrupt because in the greedy ignorant eyes of Joe Public they are overpriced rip offs.
The billionaires who run big business pay a fortune , usually to Hollywood to enforce these ideas so they will make ever increasing profits from idiots buying the garbage they make in ever increasing quantaties.
Companies that sell garbage like Wally & HF get bigger and more profitable every year while companies like Sears who sell good quality durable goods are once again in receivership.
Joe Public want to have everything yesterday and put a picture of it on Farce Book to show how "smart" & "Effliuent" they are.
Ford made junk cars and became one of the richest men on the planet .
Royce made the best cars in the world and died a pauper.

You only have to look at the posts on this list.
All the cretians wanting advice on which $ 500 ride on is the best when the answer is they are all junk and that is the right price of a reasonable quality walk behind.

Europe fixed this problem decades ago by making manufactureres liable for the disposal & recycling of their products.
One reason why we see prices being so much higher in Europe but then the volumes are so much lower because their mowers are far more durable than anything made in the USA.
Also the reason why Europe was into China a decade earlier than the USA.

As for things I know nothing about , like air cons, which I don't have because we paid extra to have a house built ( well remodled to be truthful ) so it has proper breezeways, a real cold side complete with fern house and a hot side.
Built on piers so cool air can flow between the wall cavities, thus it does not need expensive air conditioning for the 10 or so days when we top 100 each year.
I always start looking at the most expensive units with the longest warranty period. SWMBO & I argue about these endlessly but the first fridge ran 25 years and the second is 18 years old.
The bar fridges we keep our every day things in have gone about 15 years, but they work hard as we open those doors a dozen times an hour where as the main fridge get opened one or twice a day.
The neighbour over the road, rebuilt onto a concrete slab because it was more thermally efficient that the previous house on piers. Which is true so the first time he forgets to put the air con on and the house hits 70 inside it takes a week to cool it down. He had to fit another Weatherwall on the other side of his house to keep it cool and his electricity bill per quarter is $ 2500 which is more than my bill annually, but he does have 3 bathrooms while we only have the 1 bathroom and a second externally accessible toilet cause I can no longer wait long enough to unlace my boots and boots inside the house = lack of testicles.

Bert-Man.

As always I enjoyed your dissertation on the "condition of mankind", but your last sentence, the analogy explaining the effects of aging on men, was especially priceless.

However, I still labor (labour) with acronyms.. Every time I see SWMBO, all that comes to mind is "Single White Male - Best Offer" and I know that's wrong, but I can't help it. I see "Swim-Bo" and my brain locks up.. Don't laugh, but it took me days to figure out - "On The Other Hand".

Help me out, will you? (HMOWY?)

Roger

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads

Good morning people of Earth!!!! Try not to take the everyday crap that happens to seriously, you will live longer!

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads

Geez Doc, I sure wish you lived closer, I think I could learn all sorts of stuff from you!

Rog
maybe, if I stayed focused.....LOL:laughing::thumbsup:

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads

maybe, if I stayed focused.....LOL:laughing::thumbsup:

That could be a problem, I think if we ever got together we'd end up telling sea stories and you know where that would lead.. You'd tell one about something that made me recall one about something else, which made you think about the time.... and so on ad infinitum....

It would be fun through!!

Rog

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

Roger
She Who Must Be Obeyed = SWMBO
You are a married man arn't you ?
Also known as Her In Doors = HID

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads

would be the same as Happy Wife, Happy Life; HWHW

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads

Back from the wedding.
Gully washer of a rainstorm yesterday. Rained at the house before we got home,
but we drove thru it on I-10. Geez, did it come down (thanks to gravity...)
Lots of rye grass sprouts coming up....more to come.
Now I just got 7 yards of dirt dropped into a depression next to a power pole.
That depression was a bit of trouble for the Hustler, so I'm gonna fill it in and get more grass growing.....
Time again to crank up the adjustable shovel and rake......
Fortunately, I just have to spread it around....the driver dumped it in exactly the right spot :smile: