The Daily Yardman Thread

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Re: MTD Yardman Transaxle Rebuild

Picked this Toro Z Master 320 up for $700.00I will be using a lot of liquid electrical tape on this one. The guy that owned it before me only changed oil and filters. Had no idea what else to do. So I am repairing the little things when the engine is out.
View attachment 34273

Chuck, would you elaborate on the "liquid electrical tape"? What do you do with it? What brand is it? I've never used it before.

Roger

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads

It replaces black tape. You can repair almost any wire that has cut in it. No need to shrink wrap or any of that crap. Picture tp follow if it does not attach.15060248598322021795929.jpg

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
ECHO HC-150

Number One Step-Son has an ECHO trimmer and the handle broke off the main body. The body is cast aluminum or something similar, and at the back of it is a hollow, square 'peg' that extends into the black plastic handle just long enough to catch the two bolts you can see in the picture, on the lower front part of the black handle. http://www.echo-usa.com/getattachment/d0006362-62fb-4b64-af16-cd12deae7858/HC150es_S76112_080912.pdf

If you scroll down through the parts manual to page 18, and note P/N 28 you can see the square block protruding from the rear of that casting. Unfortunately the block is hollow and the web that connects it to the main body is composed of three thin fins and they broke. I used 3,500 psi epoxy to initially connect the broken part to the main body. After that set up, I slipped short #8 bolts through two holes that I had pre-drilled in an internal web and then packed J-B Weld "Steel Stick" compound around the threaded end leaving the the bolt head located in a void in the main body. I also packed that with more steel stick, but left room for even more. After that set up I cut two strips of thin steel stock and bent them to fit inside both the handle support peg, as well as the main body and fit tightly over the steel stick compound. I bedded them in 3,500 psi epoxy and let that set up, then I filled in both cavities around the two ends of the steel strips with more steel stick. Now holding the parts together, are two steel bolts and two steel strips spanning the broken joint, solidly epoxied and embedded in steel stick. Hopefully it will be stronger than it originally was.. I'll keep it near the boiler for a couple days to keep it nice and warm, allowing all that epoxy to set up. Give me some epoxy and I can fix anything!

Roger

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads

It replaces black tape. You can repair almost any wire that has cut in it. No need to shrink wrap or any of that crap. Picture tp follow if it does not attach.View attachment 34277

That looks like great stuff, how many coats do you have to apply to obtain the same di-electric as the plastic jacket? Does it rub off easily? There are always little places in wire insulation that you'd like to cover up, but you hate to wrap tape on it because it always looks like crap. Even when you use hi-end tape like Scotch 3M 33+.

Neat stuff! Thanks for showing me..

Rog

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads

That looks like great stuff, how many coats do you have to apply to obtain the same di-electric as the plastic jacket? Does it rub off easily? There are always little places in wire insulation that you'd like to cover up, but you hate to wrap tape on it because it always looks like crap. Even when you use hi-end tape like Scotch 3M 33+.

Neat stuff! Thanks for showing me..

Rog

OH! I See it can also be used as a thread locker and gasket sealer. Do you apply it where a wire enters the barrel of a compression terminal to seal it? (Both ends?)

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

Rog.
it is a thick air drying plastic paint.
You paint over things AFTER they have been assembled to exclude air & moisture.
Been using it for years.
It is a variation to that old paint on plastic coating that used to be applied to things that were shipped sharp ( like chisels ) and when set is about as hard as the red plastic coating on Edam cheese.
It has a high adheason levels and a hich surface tension so it goes not wick in like normal paint but won't rub or wash off like di-electric grease.
I coat all mower battery terminals & bolts to stop galvanic corrosion and it works a treat.
Comes in red, blue, black & white.
We painted the tie wire conductors on a 4 strand electric fence with it 6 years ago and it is still there and still water tight with no sign of corrosion or UV breakdown.
IT worked so well we put a tie wire on the fence around the workshop with red paint on the joints and no one will touch the fence, which is obviously plain wire as the wire runs through the steel pickets.

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads

Hey Ron, that's the same boat I'm in, the VA has promised me an MRI for both knees, but I haven't received an appointment yet. Had X-Rays - bones look good - Ya gotta wonder how come they hurt so much?! Had P/T - I still do all my exercises every day, but just because they help with my over-all flexibility, didn't help my knees at all. Had some 'magic cream', that didn't do schitt either.. I told the Doc that when they get so bad I can't stand it, I take a couple Tylenol. THAT works! - Cream? - Not so much.. Don't know where t will go from here.. Can't have an operation this late n the year, I gotta be able to get down to FL so I can bug Boo-Boo... Can't be laid up then! We got some schitt to do!!

Rog

I wish Tylenol worked for my knee.....or Advil.or Aleve.........
Only thing that worked was the lidocane/cortisone shot into the knee which relieved pain for about 3 days...........
Likewise, PT improved things......to a point. Then, no further..........

MRI was today...Dr follow up tomorrow.
Hopefully that'll tell the story.

My knee did improve to the point at which I could press the go pedal on my MTD mower..I guess the doctor's prescription for the Hustler won't
qualify for Medicare drug coverage..........

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads

OH! I See it can also be used as a thread locker and gasket sealer. Do you apply it where a wire enters the barrel of a compression terminal to seal it? (Both ends?)

I put everything together then coat whatever needs to be. If I am in a hurry or if it is hard to get to I blob on enough for the repair. Comes with a brush attached to lid. If I have time and access I coat then let dry then coat again till I get desired look I want.

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads

Rog.
it is a thick air drying plastic paint.
You paint over things AFTER they have been assembled to exclude air & moisture.
Been using it for years.
It is a variation to that old paint on plastic coating that used to be applied to things that were shipped sharp ( like chisels ) and when set is about as hard as the red plastic coating on Edam cheese.
It has a high adheason levels and a hich surface tension so it goes not wick in like normal paint but won't rub or wash off like di-electric grease.
I coat all mower battery terminals & bolts to stop galvanic corrosion and it works a treat.
Comes in red, blue, black & white.
We painted the tie wire conductors on a 4 strand electric fence with it 6 years ago and it is still there and still water tight with no sign of corrosion or UV breakdown.
IT worked so well we put a tie wire on the fence around the workshop with red paint on the joints and no one will touch the fence, which is obviously plain wire as the wire runs through the steel pickets.

Thanks Trev,

I believe I have seen the stuff painted on battery terminals. I would have liked to try it on marine wiring. I used to do electrical work on commercial fishing boats and making that work last was always a challenge as their owners don't have time to get them much love. I used a anti-corrosive product called "De-Ox", made by Ilsco, which was like a light grease. I filled the barrel of all my compression terminals before inserting the wire and coated all threaded terminals with it. I found it extended the life of those connections about three times over those without the coating. It worked as well as those fittings that come with hot-glue, heat-shrink sleeves on the terminal barrel. Mostly because moisture can still penetrate the fitting via the open end of the barrel.

It was an inexpensive and effective means of protecting the electrical fittings.

I will pick up some of the liquid tape and give it a try, I still do electrical work on my boat and a few friends boats too.

Roger