The Daily Yardman Thread

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Re: MTD Yardman Transaxle Rebuild

Looks like more snow on the way Tuesday into Wednesday for the Northeast and into the Mid-Atlantic region. Then again for the weekend maybe? Looks like I need to go get some more ice melt to have on hand if needed. I'm down to 40 pounds and don't have any that will run through my spreader. I really don't want to have to store it until next season but I can't risk not having any and needing it.

Yesterday my wife seeded a couple of trays of herbs for the veggie garden to start indoors. Most of our herbs died and we miss them. Thyme, Dill, Chives, Parsley and Celantro. We usually buy tomatoes and peppers as plants. Most of the rest comes from Johnny's Selected Seeds. It looks like it's going to be a while before we can plant anything in the garden.

It looks like a while before I can start my spring cleanups too. We're still having freezing temps at night, and the ground still has snow on it. And so many sticks down all over!

Looks like I picked up another lawn from a local landscaper. His mom's house, lol. He already gave me another one for a woman who is in her 90s and a close friend to his family. At 62 he's retiring from the maintenance end of things and is going to just be doing design and subcontracting hardscaping work. He just wanted to make sure that these two lawns/ladies were taken care of by someone he could trust that can deal with old ladies, lol. I truly feel honored that he would hand these 2 accounts over to me. He's a pretty reasonable guy and was good friends with my oldest brother. His mom's place is about 1/2 mile away on the same road as me. We'll see how it works out but I have a good feeling about it. He and I do things in a similar manner with similar rates and terms. He actually walks behind his walk-behind mower though.

I rarely walk lawns. I have 2 or 3 lawns that I need to hop off and walk small steep slopes but I just walk walk alongside the platform. New tires and new starter on that machine for this season. The starter hadn't failed but it was drawing hard and sounding crunchy. I really like that mower, 2002 Exmark Turf Tracer HP hydro with the 17V Kawi engine. It's what I started my business with in 2002. Coupled with a Bullrider sulky in caster mode it's like operating a stander. The sulky got rebuilt last spring. New tires, new bushings and a new shaft to the mower mount. Rebuild cost was $200 but replacement is $500. That machine is first off the trailer and gets run on all but a few of my lawns. I either cut in with it or mow the whole lawn with it during the cutting season. The rider is for the large open areas and bagging. I need to change the plugs, air filter and oil in the Bob-Cat and sharpen the blades. The Turf Tracer still needs new bushings for the front caster and could use a wheel bearing too. The roller bearing is getting a bit too sloppy/worn but hasn't fallen apart yet. By the looks of things I'm not rolling any machines out for another month.

Off to SiteOne Landscape Supply.

primerbulb120

Threads

I mowed two lawns today. Only walk behind I have is my 21", all my lawns can be cut at least 80% with my ZTR.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads

Winter storm watch is up for the area for late Tuesday night through late Wednesday night. 4 to 9 inches, locally higher.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads

I mowed two lawns today. Only walk behind I have is my 21", all my lawns can be cut at least 80% with my ZTR.
I can cut most of mine with a ZTR too but I like the lower impact walk-behind and that I can trim close enough to hardly need my string trimmer. Running costs on the walk-behind are a lot lower too.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

Winter storm watch is up for the area for late Tuesday night through late Wednesday night. 4 to 9 inches, locally higher.

There's still PLENTY of room in Florida, GREAT WARM WEATHER too!! ..:laughing:..:laughing:

On the other hand, you have GREAT snuggling weather, ..MMMMMMmmmmm !! ..:thumbsup:

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads

I'm not old enough to move to Florida yet. :laughing:

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads

We won't be eligible to be "Snowbirds" for at least another 10 years and by then I don't think I'll be mowing lawns. One of my brothers, an Uncle and a bunch of cousins live in Florida. I've only been there once in the 1980's for Spring Break. 6 guys crammed inside of a Plymouth Duster with holes in the floor. We stayed in Ponce Inlet and partied there and in Daytona. Went to Disney and crashed in a dorm at Rollins College for a day or 2. I was driving when we got pulled over in Pennsylvania for matching the description of vehicle involved in an armed robbery. That was a bit tense! I've spent more time in all of the other eastern states than Florida. It's kinda far away, lol.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

We won't be eligible to be "Snowbirds" for at least another 10 years and by then I don't think I'll be mowing lawns. One of my brothers, an Uncle and a bunch of cousins live in Florida. I've only been there once in the 1980's for Spring Break. 6 guys crammed inside of a Plymouth Duster with holes in the floor. We stayed in Ponce Inlet and partied there and in Daytona. Went to Disney and crashed in a dorm at Rollins College for a day or 2. I was driving when we got pulled over in Pennsylvania for matching the description of vehicle involved in an armed robbery. That was a bit tense! I've spent more time in all of the other eastern states than Florida. It's kinda far away, lol.

10 more years ??? Schitt Darryl, I got 1 foot in the grave and the other on a banana-peel, you can pee on my grave or spread my ashes !! .. :laughing:..:laughing: