The Daily Yardman Thread

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Re: MTD Yardman Transaxle Rebuild

When you open the shortcut it opens your browser.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

When you open the shortcut it opens your browser.

Well actually BlazNt & Bert ........ I was just testing you guys ... !!
NO ...huh ??? Well would you believe I have a special computer that Does'nt need a browser ..???
NO ...huh ??? Well guess I must be ignorant about SOME things ....
I only made ONE mistake in my whole life !! And.....that was when...I THOUGHT I did !! ( LOL ) ..:laughing: ..:laughing:

OK .....guilty as charged ....:ashamed: ..:ashamed: ..:redface:
And Roger ..... you quit that laughing this minute !!!

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Editing

Well, I thank all you guys for trying to help, but the only one I understood was Bert-Man telling me that there was a time limit for editing. I had already noted that. But even if I hit "edit post" immediately after posting a message, if I've written a lot, (a problem I have, I know that too) most of the post is not displayed, maybe only the first and part of the second sentence. OHhhh, maybe Bert meant a time constraint from when I started typing!! Not after posting... Hmmmm, see re-reading the posts takes time and maybe that's where my problems come from.. I'm a slow typist too! I think I'm doomed...:frown:

Not to worry, I'll try rereading my posts four times before submitting them, then maybe, just maybe, I'll have fewer mistakes... :confused2:

Roger

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
NEXT PROJECT!!!!

Well, things went better yesterday that I had originally thought they were going to. We were able to go get the Bolens and it's a beauty! I think it is a 1973 (Vintage!!! Antique!!) It has always been keep inside and only used infrequently for snow blowing as the owner only comes here occasionally in the winter time. It is a one owner machine (the guy that gave it to us actually bought it new and has all the books that came with it!) and is in terrific condition for being 44 years old! Damn thing is built like a tank! It has an Onan twin, 16 HP engine.

It came with tire chains, a Bolens cab, Bolens snow blower, Bolens three blade mower deck and an after market trailer and an aftermarket lawn roller. All attachments are also in great shape. I am having a problem with the engine starting and running, but I will get into that on either the Bolens Forum or the Onan Forum.

This may be the end of this lengthy thread. I want to thank all you guys that helped me out here. I look forward to getting more help on some of the other forums.

Here's the new project.....

Roger

Attachments

• DSCN1779_756.jpg
    DSCN1779_756.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 17
  • DSCN1780_757.jpg
    DSCN1780_757.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 16

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

There is only 1 forum.
It is just split into sections to make it easier to navigate through.
Nice find with that Bolens
There is a good reason why Bolens went broke.
Apart from a frame that only a submariner could access easily, the product was built too well.
It will last forever and there are enough of them out there for aftermarket suppliers to carry wear parts.
Unfortunately Jo public can not tell the difference between S*it and clay when it comes to things like mowers so good = cheap.
Thus quality mowers have a hard life and any quirk, like a drivers position you need to be a contortionist to get in or out of is death.
Shame, because once you are in the cab, it is comfortable enough to stay there all day.

Check the fan on the drive shaft if you are going to use it in the heat as they get munched up and the Eatons box cooks.
Not going to be a problem shoving snow.
The deck has bushing on all of the lift shafts these will most likely need replacing.
And whatever you do, slip some 2x4's under the deck before you try to remove it .
Got to be the heaviest deck ever made.
The 2 I now service will not fit on the trailer so I have to remove the decks to transport them.
Forgot the 2x4"s one time and was on the verge of a heart attack by the time I got it out.

As for editing posts.
The edit window has a grey border with a thick bar top & bottom
Bottom right is a triangle made with 2 or 3 slopped lines.
This is the resize tab.
Click on it and drag to change the size of the window you type in.
If your entire post is bigger than the window a scroll bar will appear on the far right side which blends in with the border.
When you next post, go into edit mode, click on the resize tab then scroll up & down.
The slider will appear & disappear as the window get bigger & smaller.

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
BOLENS

Bert,

If you think the mower deck is heavy, you ought to try to lift the damn snow blower! We have already discussed building a platform that the tractor could be driven up on so that the snow blower would be supported when removed or installed.

You and I are both old enough to have seen many good companies that produced quality machines go out of business because they priced themselves out of the market. As you said, it is the consumers fault for not putting quality above cost. I had a Case 448 for a while, it was my first 'lawn tractor' project and I found it intimidating to work on. (It was all hydraulic drive and the engine (another Onan twin) was in very sad shape. I ended up selling it as a basket case, but I did learn a lot with what work I did do on it. It was a rugged machine compared to todays lawn tractors, but still nothing compared to the Bolens.

I appreciated your detailed comment on editing. However, the only posting I had available that would still allow editing, showed my entire post (for the first time) and I didn't get to see the resizing triangle you mentioned. I will try again after my next lengthy post. Maybe this one!

Today I have to see if I can reshape the little clamp on the condenser in the Bolens breaker box. It needs to allow the condenser to lay flat against the back of the box so it's attachment screw can be screwed all the way in. Then I can reset the points and properly gap the spark plugs.. I beat the crap out of the muffler, I don't think it had ever been off before, but removing it afforded me lots of working space around the breaker box. It should go back on alright.

Thanks again . . . I'm going to see if I can edit this after I post it!

Roger

Attachments

• DSCN0813_228.jpg
    DSCN0813_228.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 21

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Editing

Bert,

When I tried to edit my last, after clicking on the "Edit Post" button, a light line appears around the post, but now there is a gray slide bar at the right-hand-end of the post that I could use to scroll up and down within the post, just like the slide bar at the far right-hand-end of this page that allows us to scroll up and down this entire page of posts..

I saw no little triangle and no gray border with a thick bar top or bottom.. That's weird!?!? But I could have edited the post if I had wanted to and I haven't been able to in the past. That may have been due to a time constraint as you previously mentioned.

Oh well, unless I find a new project I won't have anything to 'talk' about anyway.. I may just f-a--d---e away...

Roger

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

Roger,
That ain't no mower .......... THAT be a FARM-TOOL ........... !!! Did ya get his pick-up truck and shotgun too...??..:laughing: ..:laughing:.... Now ya need a Before & After photo Album . .....Boobala ...:thumbsup:

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads

Roger,
.... Now ya need a Before & After photo Album . .....Boobala ...:thumbsup:

Boo-Boo,

The before and after album for the poor old Case wouldn't be real pretty.. But here's a few pictures of the project before I gave up and sold it on as a basket "Case"...

Attachments

• DSCN0816_231.jpg
    DSCN0816_231.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCN0822_276.jpg
    DSCN0822_276.jpg
    295.7 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCN0824_278.jpg
    DSCN0824_278.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCN0849_297.jpg
    DSCN0849_297.jpg