The Daily Yardman Thread

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Re: My Newest Project

Well there now, Boo-Boo is back, maybe not 100% yet, but he's running on 'most' cylinders and now that he's had a his carb cleaned out (I told you that Sea Foam was good stuff!) he ought to be good as new soon enough...

Yesterday I was able to pick up the John Deere GS-25. It's in rough shape. Well, that's not really true. Considering that it's been left outside in Maine's lovely weather for a number of years, it's not as bad as you might think. Operating it is sort of a 'skid-steer' system and both wheel brakes are frozen solid, one tire wouldn't hold air and when I removed the mower deck cover, I discovered a hoard of chewed up acorns and pine cones, enough to overfill a 10-quart pail! But the engine is free, it had oil in it. I was able to quickly get the pull-starter operating again. (I found it with it's rope hanging out.) and I was surprised at how sturdy everything was made. Quite a difference between a 'homeowner' mower and a 'commercial' mower, but then this is just a walk-behind mower and it originally cost over $2,800!

It has a Kawasaki 12.5 HP engine and a 36" double (overlapping) blade mower, so the blades must be 'timed' and they are kept that way with a toothed timing belt.

I removed the mower deck first thing, shoveled out all the acorns and pinecones and muscled it onto my H/D dolly so I can more it around easily. The machine itself is up on jack-stands and a couple heavy pieces of timber for support. I removed the sparkplug and pumped some Kroil and Mystery Oil into the cylinder before trying to turn it over with the repaired pull starter. Then as I had been told they "thought" there was a valve problem, I removed the valve cover to make sure nothing was broken. The valves open and close properly and the engine turns over smoothly, however, I could not get a spark. It has an ignition key (which was frozen, but Kroil eventually freed it up) and what I 'think' is a kill-switch which was also frozen, but I freed that up too. However, I don't know if the electrical contacts in either of those switches are working, so that may be the reason I'm not getting any spark.. I hope so! It has no battery, but does have electronic ignition, so there may be a more serious problem there. There may also be some safety switch I am unaware of that would prevent the ignition from firing, there does seem to be a lot of wiring for a machine with no battery system.

I'll be posting questions and details on the JD Forum.. So I would appreciate any members with experience on one of these machines chiming in there.. It's going to take more than Sea Foam and a transaxle rebuild to get this beast operating again!

Roger B

AHA !!!.... I knew it....leave for a little while and all hell breaks loose... WELL I'm back now .... NOT @ 100% but gettin there... BIG trouble ahead... how the hell do you think we can get away with this ???? Rog...you better run out and buy a
boatload of MTD stickers and put em ALL OVER that machine or we're gonna have a new address ... ( LOL ) You do realize this may upset a few people if we have to "rub-elbows" with the "elitist" BIG-MONEY JD fella's ...???? .:laughing: ..:laughing:

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Re: My Newest Project

AHA !!!.... I knew it....leave for a little while and all hell breaks loose... WELL I'm back now .... NOT @ 100% but gettin there... BIG trouble ahead... how the hell do you think we can get away with this ???? Rog...you better run out and buy a
boatload of MTD stickers and put em ALL OVER that machine or we're gonna have a new address ... ( LOL ) You do realize this may upset a few people if we have to "rub-elbows" with the "elitist" BIG-MONEY JD fella's ...???? .:laughing: ..:laughing:

Boo,

I'm mean and I'm goin' "GREEN"!!!

Rog

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Re: MTD Yardman Transaxle Rebuild

I have a "GREEN" toy too.
F925.jpg

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
MEMORIAL DAY

During World War II, the U.S. Navy's submarine service suffered the highest casualty percentage of all the American armed forces, losing one in five submariners. Some 16,000 submariners served during the war, of whom 375 officers and 3131 enlisted men were killed

Fifty-two submarines of the United States Navy were lost during World War II. Two -- Dorado (SS-248) and Seawolf (SS-197)—were lost to friendly fire (with S-26 (SS-131) probably additional friendly fire, as the collision with USS Sturdy (PC-460) appears due to being mistaken for a U-boat), at least two more --Tulibee and Tang—to defective torpedoes, and six to accident or grounding.

Another eight submarines went missing while on patrol and are presumed to have been sunk by Japanese mines, as there were no recorded Japanese anti-submarine attacks in their patrol areas. The other thirty-three lost submarines are known to have been sunk by the Japanese.

I have been invited to participate in a local Memorial Day Parade today, marching with around 100 other Vets. Not only will I be thinking of all the submarine sailors lost at sea during warfare, but also those lost to the perils of the sea, as well as shipmates I've lost over the ensuing years. Remember those who have given all for the freedoms we enjoy...

HAND SALUTE!!! - - - - TWO.... Sailors, rest your oars...

Respectfully,

Roger B

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads

We are honored by the service you and all like you have given for us.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
A time to REMEMBER !

I wish a happy, SAFE, and festive weekend for all ...... But let us not forget the multitudes of lives it has cost
to let us the living ....enjoy all that we have today ....please enjoy the brief video and think of the families of those
who have lost a loved one ...God Bless them ALL !!!

...........https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARFhbyjZASc

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Memorial Day

Thanks guys, it's much appreciated..

The rain held off and even though it was a brisk 49 degrees this morning, we had a great time! They hired two trolleys to haul all of us around the parade route.. A few ladies who accompanying some of the Vets in our trolley started singing "America the Beautiful" and they were so good they finally got all of us singing. As the trollies were open sided, the crowds along the roadsides either joined in as we approached them or started clapping. We must have sung that song a dozen times!! By the end I had almost convinced myself that I was pretty good!! (And that's a stretch, let me tell you!)

I met another boat sailor who actually grew up in the seacoast town next to mine! We're like best buddies already!! There were three submarine sailors in the whole shebang.. My new buddy and I sat together, swapping sea stories and when the tour was finished another Vet came over and told us we'd made the trip one of the most enjoyable ones he'd ever been on.. (He and his wife had spent most of the time they weren't singing, laughing!!) There were a number of women on the ride, so we didn't tell any really risqué stories.. Didn't sing any submarine songs either, although the third sub vet suggested that we might try a few.. We quickly realized that none were appropriate..

Thanks to all Vets and First Responders.. We appreciate what you've done and what you do..

With great respect,

Roger B

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
JUNE FIRST - - - JUNE FIRST - - - JUNE FIRST

"June First" became a saying in my company for a number of years after a young fellow I'd hired set that as his wedding date.. As June approached each year there after, one of the guys would pop out with it - "June First, June First, June First".. A few years after his wedding and a year or so after he'd moved on to another job somewhere else, we read in the paper that he'd been arrested for soliciting an undercover woman cop.. I don't know what happened to him after that..

Let's hope that this year June First is a true harbinger of Summer! I'm sick of 40 degree mornings, rain, fog and the general malaise caused by inclement weather. We planted our garden the day before Memorial Day and had to wear wellies as we kept sinking into the wet soil to our ankles... You know the old saw: "Can't dance and too wet to plow"... Well, by golly, it's been just that! Too wet to do much of anything 'cept swim, and it's been to dang cold for that!

Com'on Summer!!!

Rog

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

OK Goomba ...Listen-up ... !!
Set your compass heading due SOUTH.. travel FULL-SPEED approx 1400 mi.
call me when you have completed this part of this mission !!

Give me a progress alert @ the state of Georgia ....