Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
Re: MTD Yardman Transaxle Rebuild

By Ron: Perfect breakfast:
2 fluffy biscuits, split and smothered with sausages gravy,
3 pancakes with butter, maple syrup and sausage links,
2 snotty eggs over easy on toast,
and a large bowl of grits w/ample butter, salt and pepper...........
And, if I have room for desert, a ham and cheese omelette w/hash brown potatoes.

YUM YUM !!

Ron, You and Boo are both gonna die!

Well, Rog, I hate to break it to ya, but..................

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads

17 hours ahead of me (CST)

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Re: Wed. Jan. 17, 2018 - 4:22 AM EST

What you doin' up in the middle of the night? To hot to get up in the daytime, so you sleep all day and fart around on the Internet all night?

By the way, a 24 hour clock would call 12:15 AM - - - 0015

So that makes you 16 hours ahead of EST in the US. Now I've got it..

Rog

I am a night person, perfectly suited to living down here.
The "stupid" animals have the right idea.
Find somewhere cool to sleep all day then rummage around all night.
The black fellas also worked the same, hunting & gathering during the dawn hours then retiring to some where cool for the rest of the day.
It is only "mad dogs & English men who go out in the midday sun"

The landlord's son is on uni vacation right now & works up the road in a factory making steel roof trusses.
After 2 days of working with steel in temperatures of 120F + he went to the boss & asked if they could vary the work hours.
So now they are starting work at midnight and finishing at 8am or when the days orders have been filled.
They are now taking 6 hours to do what 3 weeks ago was taking 10 hours.

The owner had been trying to find $ 500,000 to install some sort of air conditioning in the factory but it is a big all steel uninsulated building with a 30' high roof sitting in the middle of a massive concrete yard so air con was never going to work really well.

Now they are talking about working "seasonal hours" starting at 12 midnight in summer, shifting around to 12 noon in winter.
Something the owner never thought of and the workers are behind 100% even if they loose a little overtime. The boss is now paying them a production bonus to make up about 1/2 of the lost pay.
Every one is happy, even the engineers as they can now work in a quiet office that does not shake whenever the crane is working.

I worked strait night shifts all through senior high school & uni then continued working weird shifts till I got out & went into transport, where again I started around 10 am but would work till midnight or latter if needed.
Worked really well with the original partner cause he was a morning person so I would load the truck during the night & he would deliver lighting & gear to all the photo sites between 3 & 6 am then go & pick up the proof sheets before most customers offices opened.

In summer I get up about 8, faff around the house for an hour or two then head off to the workshop thus missing all the traffic.
So the workshop sees me between 10 & 11 , I put in 3 hours outside then head indoors or do call outs till around 6 pm.
The brain kicks in 120% around 3 pm so I do a real lot in the late afternoon/ evening.
Trade customers have keys to the yard & store room .
A lot of them will drop off gear on their way home 12 to 4 pm , I will service them overnight & they pick the gear up on their way out between 3 & 6 am.
Crawling under a 72" steel deck in the middle of the day is not fun.
I have been inside bread ovens that were cooler.

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Today Thursday January 18, 2018 4:21 AM

Consistency Boo!!

The second day in a row that I'm up before you!

Hell, Bert-man hasn't even settled in before his worn and much used keyboard yet..

Rog

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Where is everybody?

Hey, it's dang near 5:30 and nobody is up yet! Boo may have froze to death, it's only 26*F here this AM and we're five miles out in the 'warm' Gulf waters.. Thanks heavens we aren't inland.. Oh bugger, I just looked and it's dropped down to 25*F. Remember, the darkest (and coldest) hour, is just before dawn!

Our water is still flowing, which is amazing as all piping is run above ground under the boardwalks that run between the buildings.

Nippy!!

Roger

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Heating systems

I sure miss the wood stove that's out in my work shop back home! These reverse-cycle A/C units don't heat worth a crap! I don't think this thing has taken more than a three minute break since around midnight just trying to keep it 60*F in here! Thankfully we don't have to pay the electric bill! (Electric strip heaters kick in when the reverse cycle A/C can't cut the mustard.) It's sort of like heating your house by turning on your oven and then opening the oven door!

These units have no insulation under the floors as all the fiberglass batts either washed away or had to be pulled down after the place flooded last time. They just started replacing them this Monday.. (The last flooding was Sept.2016!) These places are like heating a freaking bird cage! At least birds have feathers! I'm sitting in front of the computer wearing an insulated vest, wrapped up in a blanket!

I think I'll go back to bed where it's warm!!

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Roger

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads

Views: 184,056

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads

I am down in the back. No going to work today.