The Daily Yardman Thread

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Re: MTD Yardman Transaxle Rebuild

SOO - My neighbor has been complaining that my dog has been barking non-stop. I hate the electric zapping bark collars so I purchased a humane citronella collar, that way when the dog barks, it shoots out a blast of citronella under their nose and they don't like it. This morning I was getting the collar ready and filled it with the citronella...And that's where my morning should have ended. But no, it's me, and I began to become curious as to how said collars work.
Now I'm standing in my backyard "barking" at my dog's collar. Nothing happens. I make sure it's turned on, check the fill level, and go through the "getting started" check list one more time. Again, I bark. Nothing happens. Now I'm not quite sure, why I had this next thought, but I did; I put on the collar. I seriously extended the band and fit the growl box against my throat and barked. Apparently, the collar only works if it feels vibrations, because I immediately received a blast of citronella to the face.
I began coughing, which only caused the collar to continue to squirt bug spray over and over into my nasal cavity.I'm now on my hands and knees in my back yard, trying to breathe, and to make matters worse, the dog is now barking. So between coughing and yelling at the dog to shut up, I've emptied over a dozen blasts of citronella to my face. During all of this ruckus, I'm trying to undo the clasp of the collar, which has somehow managed to weld shut during this whole fiasco.
I finally get the collar off and threw, yes I threw that crazy (inhumane) thing across the yard, and lay in the grass sucking in the cool morning air. In the middle of thinking this probably the dumbest thing I've done in a while, I hear laughter. MY NEIGHBOR SAW THE WHOLE THING! She was laughing so hard she couldn't breathe. Between gasps, she tells me,"I was gonna come help, but every time I started to climb over the fence, you'd set it off again and then I would started laughing and couldn't make it" So now, not only are my eyes red, but my face and ears are too. After checking to make sure I was ok,we parted ways and I went in to shower so I wouldn't be smelling like ode de' Tiki Torch.
So lesson learned: next time (yes, there will always be a next time with me) make sure that 1. Don't fill the collar before trying to set it off and 2. Remember your neighbor is not a good source of help in a comedy crisis situation. On the plus side, I won't have a mosquito problem for a few days!.....and now that even though this does sound like something I'd do I hate to break the news that it's a copied story that gave me a good chuckle so feel free to do the same

Doc,

I was laughing almost as hard as your neighbor! I bought one of those 'No Bark - Zapper Collars' (I hate barking dogs! - I warn twice, shoot the third time - usually works.) Anyway I put it on Tillie so I could leave her out in the fenced in back yard at the office and not have her bother the neighbors. I can't say exactly how long it took her to learn, (the collar allowed three barks and then Z~A~P) but by the end of the first day she'd bark three times and then go silent for a short time, (while the collar electronics reset) and then bark three more times. Damn dog was to smart for her own good.

Hey! Citronella smells good, better the dog gets a blast of that than a load of bird shot!

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads

Got some primmer on one of my plows, now just watching it dry.
IMG_5643.jpg

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

When I was YOUNG , I used to love going to the beach and eyeballing all the sweeties in bikini's, NOW, that I'm old n gray, I'm lucky to THINK about it once a day, I too, sit around and watch paint dry, or watch grass grow, count the leaves on a big tree, watch a snail climb a wall , and a few other things... :laughing:..:laughing:

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads

Good morning folks!

Hi Rog......that story was from another page I'm on........read last sentence. Although I could see me doing that :laughing:

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
FRIDAY the 13th - Oct. 13, 2017

This is for all of you who are effected by paraskevidekatriaphobia or friggatriskaidekaphobia. (Two words which are totally unpronounceable by Western observers!)

I guess that deserves an explanation: They are names for the Phobia for Friday the 13th.. Paraskevidekatriaphobia (from Παρασκευή Paraskevi, Greek for Friday) or Friggatriskaidekaphobia (after Frigg, the Norse goddess after whom Friday is named in English). . . . I like the Norse version the best. Frigg it!! Just Frigg it!!! (I mean what more could you ask for than a Goddess named "Frigg"??)

Anyway, here's how things look today.

We still have not achieved 2000 posts. In fact posting for the last few days has dropped off significantly..

Be that as it may, readership continues unabated, 130,399 to date with an increase of 627 over the last day. That gives us a 16 day average of 540 and if that number is used, then the thread may achieve 113,655 views by 10/31.

However, the long term running average (307) would only provide 109,232.

A bit cool here this AM (38* F) but we're looking for a high of 61*.

We had one lobster trap this morning that looked like something from the TV show "Deadliest Catch" ! It contained 57 crabs! (And two badly outnumbered lobsters..) We have two kinds of crabs around here, 'Green Crabs', which are an invasive species that came from somewhere else decades ago, (we kill all of them that we catch) and then 'Rock Crabs' which are good to eat and sometimes we keeps some of them, but usually we just throw them back. It is common to catch a few in each trap, especially from certain bottom conditions, but 57!? That's just weird!! Most were small, young crabs..

I hope y'all have a brilliant Friday, no matter if it IS the 13th!!

Roger

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads

Good morning folks!

Hi Rog......that story was from another page I'm on........read last sentence. Although I could see me doing that :laughing:

Hi Doc,

Geez, I know I'm numb, but I'm missing something here. Are we talking about plows, or what???

Rog

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads

I believe that the "honor" of the 2000th post should go to one of you long-time contributors.
Maybe it should be something profound.....or, totally inane ??

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

Well Goomba, if you look closely it appears that ALL threads have dropped off, for some reason, there's a lot of OLD threads reappearing, which being a cynic, I think there's some kind of mysterious happenings behind the scenes..:confused2:

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads

Hi Doc,

Geez, I know I'm numb, but I'm missing something here. Are we talking about plows, or what???

Rog
the story I posted about the dog collar was not me........:laughing: