The Daily Yardman Thread

NorthBama

Threads
Re: MTD Yardman Transaxle Rebuild

Clyde,

The creation of hunger aside, I want you to know that was one of the grandest efforts at explaining "life" (at least as far as those of us who are stuck in a lawnmower forum are concerned) that has ever been offered.. I thank you from the bottom of my heart and want you to know how much your work was appreciated.

Now, to try to calm Boo-Boo down from his concerns about the escalating number of viewers (readers) this thread seems to have accumulated while only attracting a rather nominal number of actual contributors, I will offer this: Boo, think back to your days in the Military, what did they always say about work parties? - - Simply put, it was - "Out of every ten men, two do all the work while the remaining eight sit on their thumbs." Of course that did not apply to the submarine service, because if everybody didn't do their job then our number of 'dives' would permanently exceed our number of 'surfaces' by one!! .. .. .. And as that was not an acceptable situation to the vast majority of us, we had a hard and fast rule about schitt-canning anyone who obviously wasn't up to our standards. . . . . (They were sent to 'Surface Craft" to become "Surface Pukes", where they could 'slack' alongside their fellow slackers..)

Basically that is what you are seeing here. The ten or twelve guys who comment on here are the men of value, out of the huge number of people who are evidently just reading it every day. All I can suggest is that you appreciate them for who they are and let all the others simply blow away in the wind like chaff.. As you know, on numerous occasions over the past months I have implored readers of this thread to please stop by long enough to make a comment. Those that have, have proven to be not only helpful to those in need of mechanical information and assistance, but men of good character who we have come to call 'friends'.. Let us celebrate them and hope that there are others out there who will follow in their foot steps.. The invitation is open... again...

Roger

Great penmanship Roger

All I can say is Amen

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
And now for something entirely different

Leather! ...... Any of you guys happen to include leather work in your repertoire'?

I'm hanging a nice little hatchet head for #1 Step-Son for his upcoming B-Day and I'd like to make a sheath for it. I need some heavy duty leather, (like 2.5-3mm thick) as well as associated hardware, like rivets and snaps.

I've already made a pattern for the sheath that will work great and I've ordered a handle, (hickory, from the House Handle Company in Cassville, MO) - (Hickory does not grow in Maine) but I'm not sure where to get leather like that. The best I've found are scraps like 'Hermann Oak leather', but man oh man, the stuff is dear! We've started looking for local leather shops, but todays a holiday, so I thought I'd ask you guys.

Thanks for any input,

Rog

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads

Great penmanship Roger

All I can say is Amen

Why thank you James, I appreciate your comments..

(I was hoping to piss-off a couple hundred 'slackers', so they would give up reading our crap and go off to more useful endeavors, thereby bringing our readership levels down to normal, so Boo doesn't think that aliens have infected the forum..) It may work yet... LOL

Rog

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads
Re: And now for something entirely different

Leather! ...... Any of you guys happen to include leather work in your repertoire'?

I'm hanging a nice little hatchet head for #1 Step-Son for his upcoming B-Day and I'd like to make a sheath for it. I need some heavy duty leather, (like 2.5-3mm thick) as well as associated hardware, like rivets and snaps.

I've already made a pattern for the sheath that will work great and I've ordered a handle, (hickory, from the House Handle Company in Cassville, MO) - (Hickory does not grow in Maine) but I'm not sure where to get leather like that. The best I've found are scraps like 'Hermann Oak leather', but man oh man, the stuff is dear! We've started looking for local leather shops, but todays a holiday, so I thought I'd ask you guys.

Thanks for any input,

Rog
the only leather work I have ever done is when I clean my saddle after every long trail ride.

I agree with James as well, nice words of kindness Rog. Has been my pleasure to share and to receive the words of wisdom form all who contribute to this thread.

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads

it is such a rainy day, thought I would share two photos I took on Sunday morning. The wife and youngest daughter had me drop them off at the end of the trail head which is about 8 miles from here and said they would call with their location when they were done or too tired to continue..........to my surprise 5 hours later they were walking up the driveway, decided not to call me. Back story: Our property borders 25 miles of federal park land that runs the length of the NJ,PA NY border of the Delaware river, One of the largest trail heads is directly across the street from my front yard, and we ride our horses down this trail and many others that my wife and daughter keep clear of falling brush branches and the like. Because it was raining and 99% of the time no one comes out, they both decided it would be the perfect time to walk the main trail and trim the low hanging branches that are a hazard to horseback riders. I had alot of business paper work to do, so I stayed home with the kids....LOL, our two dogs, Nana & Ozwald.
This is Nana........
IMG_5627.jpg
P82A0004.jpg

and this is Ozwald......
IMG_5630.jpg

Nana hates getting wet so she would not go with my wife this time.

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads

Nana is 75 lbs and her breed is "Sheperd/Lurcher mix"

Ozwald is 68 lbs and a "Golden/Doodle"

Both well behaved but still act like little kids in the house when they cant go outside to play

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

Nana is 75 lbs and her breed is "Sheperd/Lurcher mix"

Ozwald is 68 lbs and a "Golden/Doodle"

Both well behaved but still act like little kids in the house when they cant go outside to play

Sheperd - Lurker you say.
Sounds like a forum hound.

Now if you lot don't want that rain kindly have a large meal of beans face in the appropriate direction, lower the trousers and see if you can encourage the clouds to come our way.
Aug rainfall = 1.5"
Sept rainfall = 0.9"

The landlord just moved the cattle from the river paddock with 1/4" of dead dry grass to the main paddock with 3" of dead dry grass

NorthBama

Threads

Hurricane Nate brought us some needed rain and it also brought the humidity up from the gulf. Its hot and humid today. I never complain about the weather:laughing:

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads

Hurricane Nate brought us some needed rain and it also brought the humidity up from the gulf. Its hot and humid today. I never complain about the weather:laughing:

Hot and humid for sure!
Raining cats and dogs here today....I gotta be careful not to step in a poodle.................

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads

yea, its crazy humid here as well. I have been running the a/c in the house all month, normally the heat is on by now.

air is so thick outside its hard to breath