The Daily Yardman Thread

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
Re: MTD Yardman Transaxle Rebuild

What do you charge for a CUSTOM -- "Pine-Box" ! you know with the fancy hinges N hardware, satin lining, exquisite pillow for my head, ALL the attention you afford to the extra fine details .. ?? ..:laughing:..:laughing:

I'd bet it would come with a lifetime warranty...........

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

In my younger days I would have done as you did, except I would have used a radial arm saw w/dado blades.
Dados leave loads of grooves due to the chisel angles of the teeth, but that just gives the glue more surfaces to bite into....
After assembly you wouldn't be able to tell....
Nowadays I have the dedicated mortising machine and a tenon jig for the table saw.
I used to do about everything on the radial arm saw. I didn't even own a table saw til I was about 45.............

Would you believe..?? ..I have a BRAND-NEW HITACHI model, C 12RSH LASER DOUBLE COMPOUND SLIDING MITER SAW, AND a RIDGID MOBILE MITER SAW STAND model AC9945, bought together, 3 years ago, to cut P/T 4x4s and planks for a new front porch & deck, saw has NEVER been plugged in ! , stand has NEVER had saw mounted on it ! Both, in my shed, awaiting the day for the money fairy to arrive AGAIN, original money that was put aside went to an $800.00 A/C repair job ! ( @$!+*&^$$#@#@# ) My brother in law kids me about, it's gonna catch fire when I do plug it in, cause the brushes musta welded themselves to the armature by now !! I JUST know you guys would love to have that baby ! Goomba if you get over to my place while you're down here, I'll show it to ya . NO tears allowed, don't need rust on it, dust is ok but NOT rust ! ( LOL ) Although I forget the wood size capacities it's capable of cutting ( I think - P/T 4x6 or maybe P/T 6x6 and again I seem to remember up to a 10 1/2 in wide plank ) not sure but at the time it was the biggest cutting available, (too lazy to go pull out the manuals) AHhhh one of these days, if I dont need a "Pine-Box" first. ..:laughing:..:laughing:

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

Ron.

Thanks for your kind comment.

There were lots of tenons and mortises, but I cheated. All the tenons were cut using my flat bed router and a 'sled' I made that kept each one exactly identical.

I cheated with the 24 mortises in the rails too! Each rail is made of two pieces glued together, so the mortises were cut half into each piece, again with a router and a fixture I made that kept the cuts exactly the same. I simply slightly rounded the corners of the tenons so they fit the rounded bottoms of the mortises once the two pieces were glued together.

Here's a couple pictures showing the process. The first one shows the mortise cutting jig with mortises laid out to the left and cut mortises to the right. The second picture shows the two rail sections clamped together with a single slat fitted in as a test.

It always takes twice as long to 'jig-up' for your cuts, than it does to actually cut them!

Roger

Nice job and interesting work around.

We inherit things from our parents and from dad I got the ability to connect with animals ( never ever been bitten ) and the inability to cut anything strait from a block of cheese to block of wood.
So I use table mounted tools. As such mortices are done with a router between stops then the tennions get rounded ends to suit the mortice.

Glad to see the kid get to sleep surrounded with real wood

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

Would you believe..?? ..I have a BRAND-NEW HITACHI model, C 12RSH LASER COMPOUND SLIDING MITER SAW, AND a RIDGID MOBILE MITER SAW STAND model AC9945, bought together, 3 years ago, to cut P/T 4x4s and planks for a new front porch & deck, saw has NEVER been plugged in ! , stand has NEVER had saw mounted on it ! Both, in my shed, awaiting the day for the money fairy to arrive AGAIN, original money that was put aside went to an $800.00 A/C repair job ! ( @$!+*&^$$#@#@# ) My brother in law kids me about, it's gonna catch fire when I do plug it in, cause the brushes musta welded themselves to the armature by now !! I JUST know you guys would love to have that baby ! Goomba if you get over to my place while you're down here, I'll show it to ya . NO tears allowed, don't need rust on it, dust is ok but NOT rust ! ( LOL ) Although I forget the wood size capacities it's capable of cutting ( I think - P/T 4x6 or maybe P/T 6x6 and again I seem to remember up to a 10 1/2 in wide plank ) not sure but at the time it was the biggest cutting available, (too lazy to go pull out the manuals) AHhhh one of these days, if I dont need a "Pine-Box" first. ..:laughing:..:laughing:

Back when I was in my 20's I saw a demo of a Triton saw table and could not get my wallet out fast enough, particulalry as it came with an instruction video tape which I watched at the local library as we did not have a video player.
With it and my new found confidence I built a new kitchen for my mother out of pallets I picked up off the road.
We next used it to cut 300 yards worth of fence pailings at a friends place who then used it to build his garage and add 2 rooms to the back of his house.
Used the Triton again to renovate the condemned terrace we bought as a first house and all of the furniture within it, again the principle timber was discarded pallets and cable spools ( near a railway workshop ).
Sold that house on a walk out walk in basis to the other pair of students who had been sharing with us so most of that furniture stayed in that house.

What I did find is if you pack it a way, you never use it so the Tritons sit in the corner of the shed and get used at least once a month.
If I have to cut any wood, even if it is only a stick to stir paint with, I go over to the Triton.

Forget the verandah, build a decient shed and keep the saw & all the other big tools sitting there waiting to be used.
OR your grandkids will be unpacking this funny box they inherited.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

Guess it's the culture, NOT saying American men DIS-respect the women, ( yep, some do, for sure, BUT not the majority ) WE love looking at a beautiful woman, AND they like us to look, otherwise, all the diet's, clothes, shoes, bling, cosmetics, etc. etc. they utilize, would all be for what ?? AND, why do we marry them, why have men, through the ages fought over them ?? I REALLY think, MOST women LOVE being admired ! THAT'S MY opinion, and I'm stickin to it ! EYE-CANDY forever !! but REMEMBER !! just LOOK ..NO touch, .. specially, if you are married ! ..:cool2:..:thumbsup:

It is a culturally learned thing, or rather a rammed down your throat thing is USA advertising is anything like Aust advertiising.
Watch what happens when a "barbie doll" woman walks into a class of 6 year olds.
It is not hormones or reproductive urges that cause 1/2 the boys to wolf whistle or cat call.
You do not see the same reactions in places that do not have television.

So we are taught to disrespect women from a very very early age.
In the same mannar girls get TAUGHT to look like a barbie doll from a very young age and then pressured to be sexualised till well into middle age.

Have a look at a childrens clothing catalogue most of the girls over 5 look like they should be standing under a red light with a que of sailors, cash in hand standing behind them.
And WE , yes YOU & I inflict this on our kids by buying sexualised clothing for our kids to wear.

As for women wanting this type of attention, you need to do some serious pillow talking with your wife.
While there ia a small percentage of women who get off by watching blokes size them up as screw material, the vast bulk of them would rather they be talked to as a person.

Cosmetics are again something that advertisers have rammed down our throats.
While they have been used for centuries, their use was originally to discuise blemishes in the complexions of the inbreed morons who constituted royal courts and were used equally by both women AND MEN.

Fashion was again something MEN FORCED upon women in a game of one up manship to enhance their own social status, nothing to do with their wives other than dressing up the trophy.
And again men were as equally involved in fashion as women were and to support your own self importance amongst the rest of the idle rich with meaning less lives men needed to be wearing the lattest fashions.

Vogue was one of my major clients and one of the very top managers used to say there are 4 levels of fashion.
Those who set it
Those who exploit it
Those who follow it like slaves
Those who are totally above the concept.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

Ron.

Thanks for your kind comment.

There were lots of tenons and mortises, but I cheated. All the tenons were cut using my flat bed router and a 'sled' I made that kept each one exactly identical.

I cheated with the 24 mortises in the rails too! Each rail is made of two pieces glued together, so the mortises were cut half into each piece, again with a router and a fixture I made that kept the cuts exactly the same. I simply slightly rounded the corners of the tenons so they fit the rounded bottoms of the mortises once the two pieces were glued together.

Here's a couple pictures showing the process. The first one shows the mortise cutting jig with mortises laid out to the left and cut mortises to the right. The second picture shows the two rail sections clamped together with a single slat fitted in as a test.

It always takes twice as long to 'jig-up' for your cuts, than it does to actually cut them!

Roger

Nice job.
Something about real wood.
I have always believed the absence of real wood from childrens enviroment goes a long way to creating a throw away mentality.

When I got married a friend of the family gave us a bed that they had comissioned from a cabinet maker who was doing it tough during the great depression.
Forty two years on we are still sleeping on the same bed although I have replaced the wire platform with a futon platform as it had stretched beyond adjustment.

We need to tech our children to value to planet they live in. Surrounding them with quality furniture made of real timber in a natural finish goes a very long way to doing this.
Shoving your male child in a racing car / space ship pressed board / plastic bed tossed out every 3 or 4 years does not cut the mustard

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads

Ya gotta love it.
I posted on a forum about a satellite dish problem I have encountered.
I said "This is how I set it up and it worked."
An "expert," in a reply, said "That won't work, you can't do it that way."
Hmm, I guess he didn't read my post in which I said "and it worked."

Since he's the "expert," I guess I didn't understand that, even though I was watching TV on the setup, I really WASN'T !!
Because, "That won't work"..........

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads

Hey,Boobster,
It rained most of the day here today.
Weather line now over Pensacola.
Maybe you'll get rained on tomorrow..............

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

Hey,Boobster,
It rained most of the day here today.
Weather line now over Pensacola.
Maybe you'll get rained on tomorrow..............

Actually we could use it , winter dry months are times of HIGH chances of fires, NOT good here in the forest. ,,:frown: