The Daily Yardman Thread

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Re: MTD Yardman Transaxle Rebuild

Based on comments here I decided I've got too much stuff so I'm downsizing. Here's my new rig. Is it OK to haul my mower on its side like that as long as the carb is up? It's a little too wide to fit in the trailer upright. I do have a rain cover for it too, so it's like having both an open and enclosed trailer.

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads

Based on comments here I decided I've got too much stuff so I'm downsizing. Here's my new rig. Is it OK to haul my mower on its side like that as long as the carb is up? It's a little too wide to fit in the trailer upright. I do have a rain cover for it too, so it's like having both an open and enclosed trailer.

If carb is up and no means of oil or gas escaping, I don't see why not.
However,
Your tow vehicle might not be the best choice for the job.
You should be using a touring bike with a longer, more stable wheelbase.
Gearing should probably be a triple in front for low end and up hill power.
Skinny tires not the best,either.
I's go with 799 x 32's at skinniest.
Maybe a Brooks leather saddle for all day comfort.

I'm just sayin'...................

And, judging from the 5" of seatpost exposed over the 24" or so (Pugeots were a bit odd with their frame sizes)
you must be about 6'4" or so............

Last edited:

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

If carb is up and no means of oil or gas escaping, I don't see why not.
However,
Your tow vehicle might not be the best choice for the job.
You should be using a touring bike with a longer, more stable wheelbase.
Gearing should probably be a triple in front for low end and up hill power.
Skinny tires not the best,either.
I's go with 799 x 32's at skinniest.
Maybe a Brooks leather saddle for all day comfort.

I'm just sayin'...................

I'm in PARTIAL agreement with the guy that pedals his arse around town, However, I think you should seriously consider an UP-grade, befitting a man of your character, I have carefully selected a few modes of transport which would be much better suited to your situation,

16-trike-champagne.jpg THIS model, has storage for your cooler(s) up front as well as storage for your fuel, tools & whatever on the rear !

China-Adult-3-Wheel-Electric-Bicycle.jpg This is a much improved model, which requires NO pedaling , (very tiring ) with attached storage bin as well, notice the comfortable seat and lighting (in case you have to toil up till dusk ! )

Double-seater-three-wheel-electric-trike-scooter.jpg The final choice is a tandem seater, ( in case you need a helper on certain jobs, ) OR if you happen to run across a "sweetie" you would like to "woo" and make "whoopee" with (you sly devil you ! )

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

Uhhh 1 more thing, did you actually buy THAT rig from primerbulb120, or just " heist " it when he wasn't around..??

bike%20trailer%20rig%20001.jpg

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads

I think I've got the solution. I'm going to fabricate a drive unit for the rear wheel and attach it to my split shaft trimmer powerhead. Shindaiwa doesn't appear to make a bicycle drive for their multi-tools. Maybe I can sell them the rights to mine?

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

I think I've got the solution. I'm going to fabricate a drive unit for the rear wheel and attach it to my split shaft trimmer powerhead. Shindaiwa doesn't appear to make a bicycle drive for their multi-tools. Maybe I can sell them the rights to mine?

Knowing your a "Chemist" I wonder how many modern "bar/drinks/cocktails you've concocted in your time, Chemist is another name for Inn-Keeper, Bar-Tender, Bar-Keep, Mixoligist , Right ...??? ...:laughing:..:laughing:

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads

No I was actually a "wet chemist" for an environmental analytical laboratory but only for a year. After that I moved to their environmental consulting and engineering division. I did that there and at 2 other firms until 2001. Hydrogeologist, environmental auditor and my last position as a senior environmental scientist. Mostly dealt with investigation and cleanup of commercial and industrial properties but did some clean water work for water companies too. Some wastewater stuff and permit related stuff too, lead and asbestos, hazardous waste managent. All that fun stuff. Loved it when I was junior level and in the field a lot but once I got stuck in an office managing projects most of the time it sucked. So now I mow lawns, LMAO.