The Daily Yardman Thread

primerbulb120

Threads
Re: MTD Yardman Transaxle Rebuild

Wow... I need to do some catching up on this thread! I have, er, been conducting important business elsewhere, and have not had time to check in recently. :tongue:

- I read Roger's submarine stories, and I found them to be hilarious. Thanks Roger! :biggrin:

- Glad to hear that Boo is still in one piece! :thumbsup:

- I would wish you a happy Memorial Day, but I'm one day too late. Shame on me! :ashamed:

Roger, that's quite a project you have there! How did you fix the starter? Did your repair involve Seafoam? :laughing: I have one green mower, and it's a JS45. Also have a JD BC1600 trimmer. Basically a Homelite with green paint. If you ask me, JD is too proud of their parts - $16.00 for a plastic choke lever seems a bit expensive to me, especially when Ryobi wants 75 cents for nearly the same part! :eek:

AND, I noticed this:

. Ted ..( Boobala)

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads

Wow... I need to do some catching up on this thread! I have, er, been conducting important business elsewhere, and have not had time to check in recently. :tongue:

- I read Roger's submarine stories, and I found them to be hilarious. Thanks Roger! :biggrin:

- Glad to hear that Boo is still in one piece! :thumbsup:

- I would wish you a happy Memorial Day, but I'm one day too late. Shame on me! :ashamed:

Roger, that's quite a project you have there! How did you fix the starter? Did your repair involve Seafoam? :laughing: I have one green mower, and it's a JS45. Also have a JD BC1600 trimmer. Basically a Homelite with green paint. If you ask me, JD is too proud of their parts - $16.00 for a plastic choke lever seems a bit expensive to me, especially when Ryobi wants 75 cents for nearly the same part! :eek:

AND, I noticed this:

Prime-Man,

As you have noted, this is a fast moving thread and playing 'catch-up' can be time consuming!

Let's see, let me deal with your comments: I'm glad you enjoyed the sea stories.. From them you can imagine what great fun we boat sailors had back in the days of diesel boats..

Boo is coming right along.. You can tell he's feeling better by how feisty he's getting.. I have to promote him for his abilities at finding any manual you may ever need when working on a mower. He sent me a JD GS-25 manual and a Kawasaki FC401V manual, I can't thank him enough.. He's a true, blue buddy..

I assume you are talking about the JD GS-25 project. The recoil starter was an easy fix (even without a manual) it merely needed some light lubrication, so I didn't need to resort to the old standby of 'Sea Foam'.. LOL

So far, I have been unable to get the Kawasaki engine to produce a spark, but now with manuals, I will be able to properly trouble shoot the ignition system. It has an electronic ignition which includes something called a "Control Unit". I have to locate that (I hope to hell it isn't under the flywheel) so that I can conduct a resistance test on it and on the ignition coil. if I can re-establish a spark, then I can move on to the fuel system and see if the old girl will fire up.

You've already read about Memorial Day, so you know it went well for me at least... What did you do to celebrate?

Rog

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads

OK Goomba ...Listen-up ... !!
Set your compass heading due SOUTH.. travel FULL-SPEED approx 1400 mi.
call me when you have completed this part of this mission !!

Give me a progress alert @ the state of Georgia ....

Boo-Boo,

No need to saddle up and head your way.. You have supplied me with both of the manuals I needed and I can't thank you enough! Now I can properly troubleshoot the ignition system and all the other systems as I move along through this project.

You just kick back and relax... Hey!! Maybe if you're feelin' up to it, drop into "Aunt Fannies" and order up your favorite meal and send me the bill... I owe you buddy..

Rog

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

AHhhh yes ...the ol gang is visiting the posts again, ... THAT's GOOD !

I had what is called a Femoral By-Pass ... & I'm somewhat limited to activities that involve NO bending over or down, NO lifting of anything heavier than my LARGER than most men's manly ( uh ... I better NOT say that ) ... ( LOL )
a half gallon of milk , we'll say... must sit in recliner position ...NO driving etc...etc. AVOID bending @ the waist as much as possible in other words !!

Anyway ..could'nt sleep last night, so decided to see if I could research some things for Goomba ..( Roger ) & his newly arrived project..! After several HOURS of pounding on the keyboard ( on & off while standing ) I have come to
the conclusion that John Deere is another company I list as MOTHER-???????... YES .. they do make a very good tractor
BUT so do many others, as far as their lawn Equipt. the older stuff from a JD dealer looked good to me though I have NEVER owned one ( I don't know about today's machines ) ... I've heard what you see in Big-Box stores is the as good as @ the dealers ..???
I feel that way because I just don't think it's good practice to sell a product then FORCE people to pay for the information they OR others may need to service their machine, Of course there's ALWAYS the OL-RELIABLE B/S story of LIABILITY !!
As D.I.Y.ers ..we will ALWAYS have those ?????? that don't know which end of a screwdriver is the functional end !!

REGARDLESS .... in MY book they suck as a company and I prefer not to have to deal with .......??? UH ... children born OUT of WEDLOCK ...as we called them in the OLD days !!! It's all about the MONEY !!! At least provide a detailed I.P.B. so a fella can at least order the parts he may need ( it's B/S walking into s dealers place and saying " I need the little piece that goes under this thing next to what gets HOT so its gotta be the muffler something ) " DEALERS are known for their EXTRAORDINARY amount of patience, when they have several HIGH-PAYING lawn service client's trying to get their business machines out the doors... ( LOL ) ... and you're tieing him up with a part, you know very little about except you THINK you know what it is... but,.. if he could show you a picture ...you may be able to verify that !!... YOU did of course bring the mowers pertinent info ... year, model, engine HP, etc. etc. ... WELL it IS a 2007 48inch walk-behind ...UH ...YEAH ..
it looks just like that display model there ...sorta ...but the engine is different ... oh ...that has a different muffler !!!
hmmm guess I better go back home and take some pictures and see if I can find some more information ... I have nothing but TOTAL RESPECT for the dealers that are on this site offering THEIR expertise and PATIENCE ... to a non-paying and more often than not ..ungrateful audience of those in need of help.. But I think there is a far LESS number ..than MORE !! My hat's off to these EXCEPTIONAL guys that MAKE the time.... out of their busy lives to help us ALL !

Kawasaki engine appears to be the same way... have to spend hours jumping through hoops to HOPEFULLY
find the info. you need just to get parts..Then spend more time checking availability & price...
THESE S.O.B.s may slow-down us guys that do this kind of work BUT ... WE will NEVER be stopped !!
That's why this very Forum exists !! We continue to share, to learn, and to appreciate the efforts put forth to help each other ... repair and maintain their equipment ..and to keep putting up-front... that goal of successful achievements!!
OK ...enough ranting ...for now ... OH YEAH ...I did manage to find Goomba's OPERATORS Manual & his Kawasaki Engine
Manual too! Found a Parts Manual for his GS25 but it's not downloading in a readable form ... another time ... Boobala

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads

AHhhh yes ...the ol gang is visiting the posts again, ... THAT's GOOD !

I had what is called a Femoral By-Pass ... & I'm somewhat limited to activities that involve NO bending over or down, NO lifting of anything heavier than my LARGER than most men's manly ( uh ... I better NOT say that ) ... ( LOL )
a half gallon of milk , we'll say... must sit in recliner position ...NO driving etc...etc. AVOID bending @ the waist as much as possible in other words !!

Anyway ..could'nt sleep last night, so decided to see if I could research some things for Goomba ..( Roger ) & his newly arrived project..! After several HOURS of pounding on the keyboard ( on & off while standing ) I have come to
the conclusion that John Deere is another company I list as MOTHER-???????... YES .. they do make a very good tractor
BUT so do many others, as far as their lawn Equipt. the older stuff from a JD dealer looked good to me though I have NEVER owned one ( I don't know about today's machines ) ... I've heard what you see in Big-Box stores is the as good as @ the dealers ..???
I feel that way because I just don't think it's good practice to sell a product then FORCE people to pay for the information they OR others may need to service their machine, Of course there's ALWAYS the OL-RELIABLE B/S story of LIABILITY !!
As D.I.Y.ers ..we will ALWAYS have those ?????? that don't know which end of a screwdriver is the functional end !!

REGARDLESS .... in MY book they suck as a company and I prefer not to have to deal with .......??? UH ... children born OUT of WEDLOCK ...as we called them in the OLD days !!! It's all about the MONEY !!! At least provide a detailed I.P.B. so a fella can at least order the parts he may need ( it's B/S walking into s dealers place and saying " I need the little piece that goes under this thing next to what gets HOT so its gotta be the muffler something ) " DEALERS are known for their EXTRAORDINARY amount of patience, when they have several HIGH-PAYING lawn service client's trying to get their business machines out the doors... ( LOL ) ... and you're tieing him up with a part, you know very little about except you THINK you know what it is... but,.. if he could show you a picture ...you may be able to verify that !!... YOU did of course bring the mowers pertinent info ... year, model, engine HP, etc. etc. ... WELL it IS a 2007 48inch walk-behind ...UH ...YEAH ..
it looks just like that display model there ...sorta ...but the engine is different ... oh ...that has a different muffler !!!
hmmm guess I better go back home and take some pictures and see if I can find some more information ... I have nothing but TOTAL RESPECT for the dealers that are on this site offering THEIR expertise and PATIENCE ... to a non-paying and more often than not ..ungrateful audience of those in need of help.. But I think there is a far LESS number ..than MORE !! My hat's off to these EXCEPTIONAL guys that MAKE the time.... out of their busy lives to help us ALL !

Kawasaki engine appears to be the same way... have to spend hours jumping through hoops to HOPEFULLY
find the info. you need just to get parts..Then spend more time checking availability & price...
THESE S.O.B.s may slow-down us guys that do this kind of work BUT ... WE will NEVER be stopped !!
That's why this very Forum exists !! We continue to share, to learn, and to appreciate the efforts put forth to help each other ... repair and maintain their equipment ..and to keep putting up-front... that goal of successful achievements!!
OK ...enough ranting ...for now ... OH YEAH ...I did manage to find Goomba's OPERATORS Manual & his Kawasaki Engine
Manual too! Found a Parts Manual for his GS25 but it's not downloading in a readable form ... another time ... Boobala

Boo-Boo,

Holy mackerel brother, when you type standing up you're a hard man to stop!!!

For anybody that's short on time, but would still like to know what he's talking about, here's a Readers Digest version:

1.) He had an operation that prevents him from bending at the waist for the foreseeable future.

2.) Many companies, such as JD and Kawasaki do not make on-line manuals easy to come by.. (As an aside from me - If you ever DO need a manual and can't find it, check with Boo. If it exists he'll find it!!)

3.) He loves all the dealers on this forum that selflessly share their knowledge and expertise with those of us who know just enough to get themselves in trouble. (His admiration does NOT extend to dealers in their dealerships who can't find the time of day for those of us I just previously mentioned.)

4.) Not only has he located and sent me an operators manual for the JD GS-25 and also one for the Kawasaki FC401V engine, but he has located a parts manual that he is struggling to download...

I hope when he does get the parts manual to download it has pretty pictures in it so I can find out where certain parts are located. I have to locate the coil and what they are calling the "Control Unit" I 'think' they are under the cowling that covers the flywheel. I plan to remove that today and test those components if I find them!

Roger

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads

I love this thread. I have more enjoyment out of this. It is fast paced and mostly funny. I love reading to my no humor wife the stories on here. She laugh at them. I just love it. She keeps asking me who the crazy guy are. I never want this thread to die.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

I love this thread. I have more enjoyment out of this. It is fast paced and mostly funny. I love reading to my no humor wife the stories on here. She laugh at them. I just love it. She keeps asking me who the crazy guy are. I never want this thread to die.

Hey Chuck ... THIS IS .... our Man-Cave !!!
SOOooo .... ya better get some ear-plugs for the wifey ... or you WILL be sleeping on the COUCH !! ... at Tom's place !! .. ( LOL )..:cool2:

ALSO as a side note ... did you happen to notice that NorthBama is A.W.O.L. ....AGAIN !! I think he moved into the local Brothel ...
HMMmmmm ... I don't know how we're gonna keep that outa the news !! ...:laughing:

NorthBama

Threads

HaHa you the funny man Boo. You must be feeling better or taking pain pills. LOL I have been busy trying to keep the grass cut, its growing like mad with all the rain we have here. Guess we get to see Rog skin some knuckles on this new project as soon as he catches all those big crawfish.

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads

HaHa you the funny man Boo. You must be feeling better or taking pain pills. LOL I have been busy trying to keep the grass cut, its growing like mad with all the rain we have here. Guess we get to see Rog skin some knuckles on this new project as soon as he catches all those big crawfish.

NoBaMa,

CRAWFISH!!! I'll have you know we boated a two-pounder the other day! That ain't no crawfish brother!! He could have crushed my whole hand!! (My fishing partner got nipped on a finger the other day and it took several l-o-n-g painful minutes before he could get the bugger to let go! LOL)

However, you are right!! I have already busted a couple knuckles on the damn JD... Still, I have been amazed at how easily things (bolts and nuts) have come off, considering it sat outside since around 2005!! A little Kroil dripped on each fitting and then it comes off like it was just assembled yesterday!!

Not everyone is familiar with Kroil, so: http://www.kanolabs.com/google/?gclid=CNih_piZn9QCFY5MDQodr2sIbA

My old man taught me to use it decades ago and it works on rusted stuff like nothing else I have ever found. Drip some on, have patience with really badly rusted components and eventually they will come apart..

Rog

NorthBama

Threads

Good morning Rog
I knew I would get you going with that Crawfish remark. Ha Ha. I never used that Kroil I will need to try it out. I use the PB Blaster it works ok but I am always willing to try something new. its going to be a hot one here 89. Guess I better get me old A** out and finish cutting the grass. Have a great day.