The Daily Yardman Thread

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Re: MTD Yardman Transaxle Rebuild

Roger,
Back to designing your Submarine float. Have some pictures taken of the mower with you sitting on it, side, front and rear views, print them out on a piece of paper then draw the outline of what looks like a sub over the mower and you. You are going for "the look" not a true scale sub. I figured your upper body would be inside the sail. Then draw in a couple of frames to help support the "skin" and build it out of PVC pipe and cover it with thin foam insulation. Then cover the whole thing with old bed sheets held on by painting on "Gripper" primer/sealer and when dry paint it submarine gray.
Tom

Tom,

I am currently rethinking the sub-float and I may settle for one that is on it's own trailer. That would simply things dramatically.. I actually have made drawings exactly as you suggested, but haven't gotten any further than that. If I build it over the yardman, that sort of makes the little tractor useless for any other purpose, (not that is has many to begin with, as the mower deck and associated controls are gone..). I think the 'skin' will end up being paper mache' painted with something to help stabilize and waterproof it.

Step son say he wants to sell his Bolens, so I've got to post something on that forum and see if anyone has a clue what it might be worth. We'd like to sell it to someone who is a collector and would restore it.

Thanks for the ideas. Right now Becky has me working on a bedroom renovation. We've got to paint the walls next and then install new flooring, but she can't make up her mind what she wants for the floor.

Rog

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads

then paint it submarine gray.
Tom

Tom,

I've got to tell you a story about "Submarine Gray"...

Back in the late 60's the USS Cobbler SS-344 was in the Yards at Philly, (Philadelphia Naval Shipyard) for a new battery. The Cobbler was a Guppy III conversion from her original end of WWII commissioning and had four main engines (1,600 HP 16 cylinder Jimmies), four generators, four main motors and four batteries. Each "battery" consisted of 156 "cells", each cell weighing 1,100 pounds. Needless to say, changing batteries was not a simple matter, especially considering that some of the cells had to be removed and replaced through a hole cut in the hull. At the end of the battery replacement we were hauled into a dry dock and repainted, supposedly with a 'new' paint scheme that was supposed to make our outline more difficult to see when we were on the surface, both from a side view as well as from above. This consisted of a fairly 'light' gray paint applied to any vertical surfaces, (sides of the deck, and sides of the sail). Then any horizontal surfaces were painted with the usual charcoal black that is applied to most submarines.

Evidently this new paint scheme had been adopted by submarine squadrons out of Norfork, VA, but unfortunately we were stationed out of New London, CT. We came steaming up the Thames River, proud as a peacock is our newly acquired colors and had to pass by Squadron Command before we reached our assigned pier. As I understand it, we hadn't even doubled up our mooring lines before we received word from Squadron, that we were to be repainted "Submarine Black" by the same time tomorrow!

That kept our seaman gang busy for the next 24 hours!

As a little aside to this story, we also had an 8-foot tall pipe welded up-right on the deck all the way forward with "Sam Tirante-fish" bolted securely on it's very top! "Sam" was a brass casting of the Tirante's mascot, a sort of sea going dragon. The USS Tirante SS-420 had been in the Yards with us and long story short, we had 'stolen' Sam off of their forward deck, where he was bolted over Bow Buoyance vent. The Tirante left Philly just before we did and went up to New London for 'Tank Training' for their crew. We knew she'd be there when we came into port, so our Captain had requested any berth 'up-river' from where the Tirante was tied up. He wanted to be sure that Sam was spotted in his new lofty position. Again, this is a shortened "Readers Digest" version of the events, but later that afternoon, a number of Tirante's crew forced their way aboard the Cobbler and tried to rip the pole with Sam on it out of our deck!! Our topside watch brought this evolution to an abrupt stop by drawing his .45 and racking the slide back while yelling "HALT" at the top of his lungs! Eventually a truce was called and Sam was reinstated to his original location aboard the Tirante with great military honors.. Such was the "fun and games" of the diesel Submarine Service back in those days.

This story along with a number of others can be found on the USS Cobbler story page: http://tribute11.net/USSCobbler/Story_page.htm

Just scroll down until you find some of my stories (by Roger Ramjet) and you'll find the whole story about "Sam"

Pumper54

Threads

Roger,
Nothing like a little inter unit fun to keep everyone on their toes. When I lived on Guam, 1970-1973 there was a Japanese mini sub that had been captured during WWII on display in front of the Naval HQ building. According to the story a C.B. Battalion was on the base and had a party and being the good people they were decided to "float" the sub in the base swimming pool about a 100 yards away. No telling how the sub go into the pool but the Admiral (unlike everyone else) did not see the humor in the situation and ordered the sub returned to its rightful place. And in order that that little event could not be repeated the story says that he ordered the C.B.s to fill the sub with beach sand which they would bring from the beach in soup spoons as they marched in a long line, beach to sub, empty spoon, march to beach re-fill spoon and repeat until the sub was filled. Story said it took several days of non-stop action. Gotta love the military.
As we enjoy this holiday weekend let us not forget the reason for it, the Men and Women who gave their lives for this great country.

Tom

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads

Roger,
Nothing like a little inter unit fun to keep everyone on their toes. When I lived on Guam, 1970-1973 there was a Japanese mini sub that had been captured during WWII on display in front of the Naval HQ building. According to the story a C.B. Battalion was on the base and had a party and being the good people they were decided to "float" the sub in the base swimming pool about a 100 yards away. No telling how the sub go into the pool but the Admiral (unlike everyone else) did not see the humor in the situation and ordered the sub returned to its rightful place. And in order that that little event could not be repeated the story says that he ordered the C.B.s to fill the sub with beach sand which they would bring from the beach in soup spoons as they marched in a long line, beach to sub, empty spoon, march to beach re-fill spoon and repeat until the sub was filled. Story said it took several days of non-stop action. Gotta love the military.
As we enjoy this holiday weekend let us not forget the reason for it, the Men and Women who gave their lives for this great country.

Tom

Tom,

Yes, we had plenty of "inter-unit fun" as you put it. I don't imagine much of that sort of thing goes on in today's Navy.. I understand you can't even go on the beach and get drunk anymore! Unbelievable! I can remember having to tie (I won't mention who) but a certain very important officer into the bridge when getting underway after an especially exciting weekend ashore, just so he couldn't fall overboard!!

Maybe we played a little too hard, but when we worked, we worked VERY hard and thought our actions ashore made up for that..

I am very much looking forward to Memorial Day! A local auto dealer is sponsoring 100 Veterans to march in a local Memorial Day Parade. Afterwards there is to be a cookout at the dealership... As much fun as that will be, all of us will be thinking of our mates who are no longer with us.

Roger

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Boobala

I don't want to be "talking out of school" here, but Boo-Boo had a little "Surgical Procedure" a couple days ago and hasn't gotten back to me yet regarding his recovery.. So if any of you guys want to send him a PM (or an email if you have his address) and some well wishes about getting back 'on-line' so to speak, hopefully he'll appreciate it and be back in the pink in nothing flat.... In any event, we wish him nothing but the best and a speedy recovery...

Roger B

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Boo-Boo Update

I got an email from Boo... He's home and sore as hell, but should be fit as a fiddle soon enough.. Let him know he's missed and we're looking forward to his return.. (I mean we ARE, right??? LOL)

Roger

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads

Comeback to us soon. We are already missing your kind words of wisdom. Oh, wait that is someone else. Come back soon anyway.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

Yeah though I snuk through the Valley of The Shadow of Dubious Doings ... I emerged UN-scathed ...
Thy Johnson Rod & my AR-15 they scared the hell outa everything in my way....
Surely I will spend the rest of my days in & out of the the portals of this Forum !!

And always remember ...It ALWAYS gets DARKEST ... just BEFORE it get's PITCH BLACK !!!!

Don't speak to me about my foolish rambling on, ...consult the pharmacist ...
YA'll act INTELLIGENT now .... I have to go for awhile ...but I will return !!! ..:rolleyes: ..:laughing: ..:laughing:

Thanks to all the well-wishers I truly appreciate your concern and comments ... Ted ..( Boobala)

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

Comeback to us soon. We are already missing your kind words of wisdom. Oh, wait that is someone else. Come back soon anyway.

Hey there Chuck ...I always knew YOU are a "stand-up" guy ...I KNEW those "stories" that "TOM & CLYDE" told me about YOU having a relationship with a "Lawn-Boy" were totally FALSE.. I explained that you were a true Cassanova with the ladies but they foolishly persisted ... therefore I pay them no mind ... YOU take care and be wary of the demons !!! ..:laughing: ..:laughing: ..:laughing:
I alerted Goomba ( Roger ) of the situation ... HE plans a remedial action for the hooligans !!!

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
My Newest Project

Well there now, Boo-Boo is back, maybe not 100% yet, but he's running on 'most' cylinders and now that he's had a his carb cleaned out (I told you that Sea Foam was good stuff!) he ought to be good as new soon enough...

Yesterday I was able to pick up the John Deere GS-25. It's in rough shape. Well, that's not really true. Considering that it's been left outside in Maine's lovely weather for a number of years, it's not as bad as you might think. Operating it is sort of a 'skid-steer' system and both wheel brakes are frozen solid, one tire wouldn't hold air and when I removed the mower deck cover, I discovered a hoard of chewed up acorns and pine cones, enough to overfill a 10-quart pail! But the engine is free, it had oil in it. I was able to quickly get the pull-starter operating again. (I found it with it's rope hanging out.) and I was surprised at how sturdy everything was made. Quite a difference between a 'homeowner' mower and a 'commercial' mower, but then this is just a walk-behind mower and it originally cost over $2,800!

It has a Kawasaki 12.5 HP engine and a 36" double (overlapping) blade mower, so the blades must be 'timed' and they are kept that way with a toothed timing belt.

I removed the mower deck first thing, shoveled out all the acorns and pinecones and muscled it onto my H/D dolly so I can more it around easily. The machine itself is up on jack-stands and a couple heavy pieces of timber for support. I removed the sparkplug and pumped some Kroil and Mystery Oil into the cylinder before trying to turn it over with the repaired pull starter. Then as I had been told they "thought" there was a valve problem, I removed the valve cover to make sure nothing was broken. The valves open and close properly and the engine turns over smoothly, however, I could not get a spark. It has an ignition key (which was frozen, but Kroil eventually freed it up) and what I 'think' is a kill-switch which was also frozen, but I freed that up too. However, I don't know if the electrical contacts in either of those switches are working, so that may be the reason I'm not getting any spark.. I hope so! It has no battery, but does have electronic ignition, so there may be a more serious problem there. There may also be some safety switch I am unaware of that would prevent the ignition from firing, there does seem to be a lot of wiring for a machine with no battery system.

I'll be posting questions and details on the JD Forum.. So I would appreciate any members with experience on one of these machines chiming in there.. It's going to take more than Sea Foam and a transaxle rebuild to get this beast operating again!

Roger B

Attachments

• DSCN1948_825.jpg
    DSCN1948_825.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 8
  • DSCN1949_826.jpg
    DSCN1949_826.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCN1950_827.jpg
    DSCN1950_827.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCN1951_828.jpg