The Daily Yardman Thread

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Re: MTD Yardman Transaxle Rebuild

I just think it would look like more of an intended structural element affixed to the casing than a retrofit and would avoid hinges and attaching rollers to it. It would eliminate all structural stress on the board, which very well could split over time as part of the door itself. I think it's just more simple/easy all around and would look better. The door would then appear to be the proper size.

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads

I just think it would look like more of an intended structural element affixed to the casing than a retrofit and would avoid hinges and attaching rollers to it. It would eliminate all structural stress on the board, which very well could split over time as part of the door itself. I think it's just more simple/easy all around and would look better. The door would then appear to be the proper size.

You maybe right.
I never seem to do things the right way,tho.

Hinges and rollers will all be on the inside of the garage.
I will be transferring the metal bracing from the ends and center of the unused original metal panel for strength and security of attachment for hinges and opener bracket. Structural elements of the door will all be 2" thick, glued and screwed together. Should be strong enough.
And, stresses really are minimal thanks to the torsion spring.
The whole system is practically weightless (but, not massless....)

Frankly, once everything is painted white, the mods will not even be noticeable.

But, it is an inexpensive enough method that it will not break me should it fail.
If it does, the torsion spring provides adequate support to the door so that it will not come crashing down.
Now, on the other hand, should the spring break.............

Of course, should I not be happy with it, i do have the prerogative to change it.........

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

So why not cut a foot off the bottom of each guide rails and weld it to the open end of the guide rails and leave the door itself alone so when opened it will simply be a foot deeper into the garage ?

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads

Then top of the door would be at an angle, not vertical when closed, right?

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads

So why not cut a foot off the bottom of each guide rails and weld it to the open end of the guide rails and leave the door itself alone so when opened it will simply be a foot deeper into the garage ?

Well, the door is 8' tall.
The garage ceiling is 8" above the floor.
That dunna leave any room for torsion spring or opener.
I can't even put them in the attic cuz the roof slopes down to that point, and I'd have to cut all the rafters and stuff.

Besides, I want to cut the length of the opener track so the motor isn't sitting underneath my ceiling light fixture..........

As I said, I had thought about cutting a groove a foot deep across the opening, but the top is too long, not the bottom.....:laughing:
(Although that fix would probably work in the Southern Hemisphere........

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads

Then top of the door would be at an angle, not vertical when closed, right?

The top of the top panel would be almost, if not all the way 'round the curve in the track.
So, yup...it'd be leaning inward a considerable amount........

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads

Here's something to mull:
Finished panel thickness needs to be 2"

This will require 2 elements 3/4" thick each and one that is 1/2".
Do I plane down the panel or front trim??
Or all 3 plys equally??

May be better to keep bracing wood full thickness and thin out the 1 x 8 panel.
That would reduce total weight.

If I had a panel raising shaper bit, I would do that to the 1 x 8, but there is only gonna be 4" of panel in the middle.
Dunno..............

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads

Just have Vista Print print up some banners to hang across the top and not worry about the gap. They could be seasonal or just messages you'd like everyone to see. You should still have time to get your St. Patrick's Day ones printed up. :tongue:

Edit: If money is a problem you could have them print something like "Happy Sea Turtle Nesting Season" which is March 1 through October 31. Then you could still have Thanksgiving, Christmas and Valentine's day ones. Or just "Happy Holidays" which covers them all.

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads

Just have Vista Print print up some banners to hang across the top and not worry about the gap. They could be seasonal or just messages you'd like everyone to see. You should still have time to get your St. Patrick's Day ones printed up. :tongue:

Edit: If money is a problem you could have them print something like "Happy Sea Turtle Nesting Season" which is March 1 through October 31. Then you could still have Thanksgiving, Christmas and Valentine's day ones. Or just "Happy Holidays" which covers them all.

Not bad!