The Daily Yardman Thread

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads
Re: MTD Yardman Transaxle Rebuild

Good morning folks........driving the wife to work, got a little ice storm over night....back in a few

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

Good morning folks........driving the wife to work, got a little ice storm over night....back in a few

No need to make excuses Doc, WE KNOW where ya been !!! .. !cid_X_MA18_1466733836@aol.gif ..:laughing:..:laughing:

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads

We have had moles for some time.
Seems like they are getting bigger and more industrious.
Really make a mess of our yard.

Does anyone have any good methods to control (read...eradicate) the pests??

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

Saw a movie once, ... "Caddyshack" wasn't it DYNAMITE being used .. ?? ..:laughing:..:laughing:

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads

Saw a movie once, ... "Caddyshack" wasn't it DYNAMITE being used .. ?? ..:laughing:..:laughing:

That was a gopher.............

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

That was a gopher.............

Close enough !! ..
attachment.php

Attachments

• HAPPY 3.jpg
    HAPPY 3.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 10

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

The only real pest on the planet is human beings everything is just something that the real pests find annoying.
I try hard to work with the local wild life, in the long run it is easier & cheaper and better off for every one.
Some think we are mad for doing this but we are now the only house in the street with no cockroach problem and no snail problem in the garden.
We have had guest who go into a screaming panic when they see a spider, demanding we kill it instantly, most leave far more relaxed.
I blame this on advertising that every day tells us to kill this, kill that & every thing else that is inside the house without any thought about why it is there & what it's place in the enviroment is.

My prime example of this is the Funnel Web spider.
When I was a lad we called in the North Shore Funnel Web because it was mainly found and mostly killed people who lived in the North Shore ( the wealthy suburbs ).
I put it down to the ignorance of affluence and 20 years latter this was scientifically proven.
Back then most people kept some type of fowls , ducks or geese, these all eat spiders.
However the North Shore councils banned this ( cause it is what poor folk do ), wealthy can afford to buy game birds and eggs $ crowing roosters are a pest.
The North Shore houses all replaced the natural bush with extensive fine manicured lawns, thus removing habitat for native running birds .
They usually had house dogs and oft guard dogs that killed everything which wandered onto THEIR property .
Thus there was now few natural preditor for the spiders so they paid exterminators to come & poison their property thus wiping out every thing else that ate or competed with funnel webs.
Hence Funnel Web numbers went ballistic and 5 or so of the idiots died each year and hundreds were hospitalised due to Funnel Web bites.
There were so few Funnel Web bites in the southern suburbs that only the very large hospitals kept the antidote because down here they were in balance with nature so bites were very rare.
Southerners were also not stupid enough to cover their floors with white carpet so we were allowed to wear our shoes into the house where as artic white was the most common carpet colour in oversized North Shore houses so they had to take their shoes off before entering the house to protect the carpet ( ? ) and most left them outside. The spiders crawled into the shoes to die during mating season.

Having said that very few of the natives we have down here are destructive to the way we want to change their habitat , they just kill you.
Rabbits and foxes , which do not belong here are a different story .

As for your moles, either you are providing too much food for them or are protecting them from their natural preditor.
So time to go to the library and learn everything you can about moles

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads

As for your moles, either you are providing too much food for them or are protecting them from their natural preditor.
So time to go to the library and learn everything you can about moles

Thanks for the ecological dissertation, Professor.

Moles mostly eat insects and earthworms, which I do not consciously provide for them, but rather, exist in harmony with us in our yard.
They search out their prey by digging tunnels 6" or so below the lawn surface, causing unsightly little mounds above their path.
I swear they can tunnel thru soil which I am unable to penetrate with a shovel!

As for natural predators, those would include snakes, skunks, foxes, weasels, hawks, owls, and domestic cats and dogs.
We have a dog (or, she has US....) and is not particularly interested in the moles. As for the remainder of the list, we do not
actively provide shelter to the moles from any of these. They pretty much shelter themselves by staying underground most of the time.
Seems like they come out at night. I dunno how they can tell, as I believe them to be blind.

I wish they fed on fire ants.........

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads

Thanks for the ecological dissertation, Professor.

Moles mostly eat insects and earthworms, which I do not consciously provide for them, but rather, exist in harmony with us in our yard.
They search out their prey by digging tunnels 6" or so below the lawn surface, causing unsightly little mounds above their path.
I swear they can tunnel thru soil which I am unable to penetrate with a shovel!

As for natural predators, those would include snakes, skunks, foxes, weasels, hawks, owls, and domestic cats and dogs.
We have a dog (or, she has US....) and is not particularly interested in the moles. As for the remainder of the list, we do not
actively provide shelter to the moles from any of these. They pretty much shelter themselves by staying underground most of the time.
Seems like they come out at night. I dunno how they can tell, as I believe them to be blind.

I wish they fed on fire ants.........
I have cat that keeps all 6 ounce and smaller fur creatures at bay, she leaves something dead on the porch everyday....really hate that cat too....she also kills my outdoor bird friends and that pisses me off