The Daily Yardman Thread

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Observation

Hey Boo,

if you go back and read some of the posts on here, you may come to the conclusion that you and I end up writing about watching TV shows while the rest of these "young fellas" talk about sawing down trees, bicycle riding, chasing women, and stuff like we "used" to do!!

Number one step son and Number one grand daughter, both got a deer yesterday afternoon! They were in a double tree stand (like a bicycle built for two - only different) and she got hers first. As there was still an hour left to go they decided to stay in the stand and see what happened next. Well, 'next' an eleven point buck showed up.. Big mistake on his part! That's three for three as Number two grand daughter got her deer a week or so ago.

We got a call as they were leaving the farm and we headed right over. Got there in time to help clean them out and hang 'em up.

Talk about needing a bigger freezer!

Roger

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads
Re: MTD Yardman Transaxle Rebuild

Simplex derailleurs came out in 1938, and the Campy Gran Sport in 1949. Both were before my time.
Suntour developed the slant parallelogram rear derailleur in 1964.
I would be 11 to begin that year, and 12 by its end................

Most of mine are Shimano geared.
dont know nearly that much about bikes, just buy what I like and ride.....been that way my whole life, but I do know what is on my fishing poles.....LOL Shimano gears!!!!!:laughing:

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads

Happy Anniversary to you Ron, and the Misses....sorry I'm a day late.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Re: Observation

Hey Boo,

if you go back and read some of the posts on here, you may come to the conclusion that you and I end up writing about watching TV shows while the rest of these "young fellas" talk about sawing down trees, bicycle riding, chasing women, and stuff like we "used" to do!!

Number one step son and Number one grand daughter, both got a deer yesterday afternoon! They were in a double tree stand (like a bicycle built for two - only different) and she got hers first. As there was still an hour left to go they decided to stay in the stand and see what happened next. Well, 'next' an eleven point buck showed up.. Big mistake on his part! That's three for three as Number two grand daughter got her deer a week or so ago.

We got a call as they were leaving the farm and we headed right over. Got there in time to help clean them out and hang 'em up.

Talk about needing a bigger freezer!

SHUUUSSHH Goomba, you're scarin me !! I'm already dealing with the "Strange-Doorway" syndrome, you know, when you walk through a doorway into a room, and you stop, and then think ... WHY'D I come in here ??? ( LOL )

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

MAN, something screwy happenning with this forum, or my puter is actin up (as usual) did ya see my last post Goomba ! ...HMMmm?? It didn't separate my input from your post...

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads

fat finger typing error

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads

Another fact to shove up the little grey matter, thanks indeed.
Never saw a derailleur gear set up on a bike till the 70's down here, so assumed they were a late 60's invention but I suppose we had them.
Some of the upper class kids had bikes with 3 speed hub gears but that is all remember.
I gather the simplex ones were the bikes with a single sprocket on the front an 4-5-6 on the wheel ?

Correct

By 1964 I was 16 & had been illegally riding motorcycles for 2 years.
One of the advantages of having an early adolesent growth spurt was you could get away with stuff like that then.

I was 6'2" in the 8th grade (age 12) and got to 6'6" early in high school (but only 165#)
That opened a lot of doors for me as far as presumed age was concerned.
But, I had outgrown my 24" wheel Hercules (Raleigh) 3-speed, and I was unaware of larger frames (even tho I knew a kid with a 25" frame Schwinn Continental)
Even as an adult I put a mile-long seatpost into a 21" frame bike. Easy to ride hands free, but the bars were so far below
that things could go wrong in a hurry if you dropped from hands free and missed the bars on the way down..........

Then I discovered a 27" frame Fuji (which I still have) and the passion was re-ignited....

BTW, thanks to Father time and gravity, I have "shrunk" to 6'4". :frown:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

Correct

I was 6'2" in the 8th grade (age 12) and got to 6'6" early in high school (but only 165#)
That opened a lot of doors for me as far as presumed age was concerned.
But, I had outgrown my 24" wheel Hercules (Raleigh) 3-speed, and I was unaware of larger frames (even tho I knew a kid with a 25" frame Schwinn Continental)
Even as an adult I put a mile-long seatpost into a 21" frame bike. Easy to ride hands free, but the bars were so far below
that things could go wrong in a hurry if you dropped from hands free and missed the bars on the way down..........

Then I discovered a 27" frame Fuji (which I still have) and the passion was re-ignited....

BTW, thanks to Father time and gravity, I have "shrunk" to 6'4". :frown:

Yes it happens like that .
I was the biggest boy in primary school and then in high school at 5'11" I played right prop ( football ) in first grade against other boys in 5th grade, was always the one to go into liquor stores to buy the booze & all that other stuff under age kids get up to.
It also meant I could lie about my age & get full adult pay at most places where I worked during vacations.
Six years latter I was still 5'11" and thus slightly shorter than most in the school .
Now at 67 I am 5'10" but that is mostly because I do inversions daily I also put my almost perfect spine down to the same exercise