Good petrol pole hedge trimmer to buy?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Not trying to sound superiour in any way but this is the second time you have bought from Bunnings ( Lowes equivalent for the USA readers )
and the second time you have ended up with something that will not do the job.
You will not get a good product from Bunnings , you will get the "Lowest price guaranteed product".
I also seem to remember advising you off buying Victa branded product & that is exactly what you have done .
If you intend to ignore the best advice that I can give don't come back whinging that what you bought was not up to scratch.
I did also recommend you visit
Not Good Enough
and
Product review

If you had taken this advise , yes I know you have no money so can not afford to spend $ 5 to join NGE
You would have found around 90 % negative feedback about the Tornado
Apparently you have plenty of money to buy junk.
Turn off the TV the BS they transmit is necrotising your ceribal tissue.

efc1978

Threads
When people said it was crap I didn't expect it to be as totally useless as it is hahhaha
And no, I don't think someone giving lawnmower advice is superior to me... hahahahaha

efc1978

Threads
Just having looked very closely at the blades trying to run it as slowly as possible, it seems the blades are not always completely coming into contact / running over each other, which would explain the hacking job they're doing at skinning the bark off the twigs without actually cutting through them...
For example for a few back/forth movements the blades make full contact and run over each other then the next few movements there seems to be a gap where they don't...
I think the hedge trimmer attachment part is actually faulty....
Returning to Bunnings!

efc1978

Threads
REFUNDED!
Thanks again for the advice hahah

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Go to a mower shop and by prefference a small local shop, not a glass fronted mega dealership.
Tell the person what you want to do .
Currently both Stihl & Husqvarna are running 0% interest pre season specials ( last seasons stock of course ).
Buy a good unit even if you have to pay it off.
I lend out my Stihl chainsaw that I bought 35 years ago to customers when there will be long delay in fixing their saw.
Every one loves it & I could have sold it 10 times over.
However it was $ 600 back in the days when I was earning $ 150 / week.
That is the sort of money you have to pay to get quality products around 3 to 4 weeks wages.
Good tools are an investment for life.
A small shop will take the time to run through the equipment, show you how to use it properly and generally assemble & check it in store.
You are their best advertisement and in many cases their only advertisement.
Where as the glass fronts run expensive TV & radio commercials to convince every one that they are a good place to buy tools from.
If they were so good they would not need to do the expensive advertising.
Then when you go in there, they will sell you the tool that they make the most money on, not the beast tool for your needs.
Stihl for instance is made in Germany, Spain, Italy , Japan, Brazil, Mexico & China , in decreasing order of quality.
Guess which ones the glass fronts sell the most of ?
The cheapest product has the highest mark up.

efc1978

Threads
It's funny, when I returned it they desk called a guy from garden, the first thing he said was "I have one of these at home and it works fine", I nearly laughed out loud, as when I was looking at mowers a year ago a guy from garden said to me "I use one of these at home and it's great", maybe it's a standard line used by the guys in Bunnings garden section haha

I think maybe the Victa hedger blades just needed adjusting/aligning differently?, they were very sharp, not bent and flat against each other, they just weren't crossing over each other..., but seeing as a bolt or screw used to hold on the throttle/lever which was already put together (not a bit I had to assemble myself) had somehow worked itself off and got lost in my grass I thought bugger it and returned it....

A guy at Baybury Power Equipment 5 mins from my house which sells Stihl said a hedge trimmer with extension will be about $960 I think he said, so that'll be what I buy...
Would Stihl be much lighter than the Victa?, I guess not a whole lot...

efc1978

Threads
It's been said to me they Stihl possibly have more than the 1type of hedge trimmer on the market at the moment???, so thought I better make clear it was the "Kombi" with extension the guy quoted me for....
Just want to be sure everyone that has recommended Stihl knows I'm talking about the "Kombi", so they have a different pole hedge trimmer?, is there any reason one type is better than the other?
And yes I do need to go high, there's bits 20 foot I like to trim!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It will most likely be a little heavier as it is built to last so everything is a touch thicker.
I have a dozen or so in the graveyard and the cheap ones are real light & flimsey.