Mower deck 2000 Troy-Bilt 14AY809P063 50 inch deck problems

ncguy45

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a problem with belt twisting and breaking off. Its the upper belt and the Idler spring keeps coming off. The angle of the belt that goes up to the main pulley is on an angle and it doesn't seem like a belt would stay in place. I need help cause I keep breaking belts left and right. Thank you for any help.

ncguy45

Forum Newbie
Threads
What they don't show is that the idler pulley is higher than the deck pulley's which makes the belt stay on an angle while it spins at a high rate. I think its a poor design flaw. Do you know any detailed pictures or videos that show this or do I need to engineer something myself?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The idler pulley that the belt runs over before being pulled to the engine pulley is always bigger than the belt.
This is needed to overcome the fact that the engine pulley and deck pulleys will only ever be in proper alignment in one cutting position.

There have been numerious pieces of engineering to counter this but none of them are made any more because JOE PUBLIC will not pay for proper engineering.
So yes it is a poor substitute .
Small amounts of wear in the tensioning system will cause the belts to jump off & break.
Joe Public don't want to pay for quality so they will pay the equivalent in parts that wear out prematurely.