Found my leak, now what??

cdestuck

Threads
If you can do an autopsy yourself it would be good to know wha' happened. Factory left out thrust washers? The experienced can respond, but fading memory of auto part says the washers could have been 1/8th inch (.125") thick each.?? So before slamming effect of the running engine there was a 1/4" space ??

I opening it up and checking just what is worn. I figure it has to be the top case and/or a shoulder on the crank. But as to shims or thrust washers, the parts books show none at all.

arch252

Threads
Look at my post right by this one, I had a 17hp air cooled FH500V with up and down play in the crankshaft. Tore it down and found that the crank had worn down the bottom case about 3/8". It had dropped so far the starter could not disengage from the flywheel. I posted pictures of that. I was able to find a good used case for about $30 shipped. Replaced the crankcase gasket and the bottom seal and it ran like a sewing machine. Not sure if this is the problem you are describing but if it is the pictures I posted may be helpful.