D110 will not start

delta1577

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello, my D110 (88 hours on it) was working fine yesterday. Went to start it and when it turned over had VERY high rpm's. throttle did not change the rpm's. I turned off. When tried to start...nothing. Starter was making strange noise. I took starter off and hooked it up to battery...it spun freely. My question is, do starters loose power to turn the engine over? Or any other thoughts?? Thanks

mjb8fj

Threads
Hello, my D110 (88 hours on it) was working fine yesterday. Went to start it and when it turned over had VERY high rpm's. throttle did not change the rpm's. I turned off. When tried to start...nothing. Starter was making strange noise. I took starter off and hooked it up to battery...it spun freely. My question is, do starters loose power to turn the engine over? Or any other thoughts?? Thanks

starter is your biggest electrical draw- that's why they have the big cable on them. Bench testing isn't the greatest test for them. It will tell you that its working ok, and that the starter gear is moving and retracting, but the load of the engine is the big test (starter re-installed and actually starting the engine). Not sure what you were saying when you started yours your the other day- it ran but the engine was running too fast?

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
It's not the starter. Make sure battery is fully charged. Check fuse for being blown. Inspect all electrical connections by hand making sure they are tight & secure.

visually inspect throttle cable, linkage, springs, etc. operation carefully engine not running

Last edited:

delta1577

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for your input
UPDATE - Yes, the battery was low. I charged it and got the engine to start ..HOWEVER it ran at the VERY HIGH RPM like it did just before I couldn't start it. The throttle did not slow the rpm. I could not guess how many rpm's but it was way higher than anything I've heard it run before. Any thoughts?? thanks!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The govenor is broken, the govenor spring is broken, the govenor arm is loose on the govenor shaft.

The throttle allows the engine to speed up.
The govenor slows it down to maintain the constant 3500 rpm.

mjb8fj

Threads
The govenor is broken, the govenor spring is broken, the govenor arm is loose on the govenor shaft.

The throttle allows the engine to speed up.
The govenor slows it down to maintain the constant 3500 rpm.

I agree, the governor broke loose or the linkage hung up or something there

mrstan

Threads
I agree, the governor broke loose or the linkage hung up or something there

These guys are right I think too. The governor has some kind of issue there. Check the spring on it or check your control apparatus in your carburetor too... Itf it is the governor, it will "run-away".. If it is an issue with the carburetor controls it will run high constantly... Look both places..