Briggs & Stratton 18.5 HP Carburator problem

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a B&S Model 31N707-0301-B2 engine that was sitting outside unused for two years in an MTD lawn tractor. It will start when gas is dribbled into the cylinder or carburetor mouth, but will only run until that tiny amount of fuel is consumed. I suspect I have a carburetor problem. Can anyone tell me what the "fuel Solenoid" does and how to test it? I thought I'd start there. Any other advice regarding the carb would be appreciated. I believe it is a Nikki.

Thanks very much...

Roger B

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
To the best of my knowledge the solenoid was mandated by the gument to aggravate the consumer. A usual test is to feel/hear the solenoid click to open when the ignition switch is turned to the first position (on) and shuttle to off with the ignition being turned off.

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hey Senior.. Glad to see I'm not the only old duffer around here...

So all the solenoid does is turn the fuel line on and off.. I guessed as much. I ought to be able to figure out if it's working without too much trouble. In working on the machine I haven't heard it make any noise, but I'll pay closer attention now.

Thanks,

Roger

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Last edited:

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks Mark,

The engine code is 080227ZE.

Do you think taking the carb apart and cleaning with something like old fashioned Gumout or the newer Seafoam is worth the effort? I like to try easy things first.

Roger

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Hey Senior.. Glad to see I'm not the only old duffer around here...

So all the solenoid does is turn the fuel line on and off.. I guessed as much. I ought to be able to figure out if it's working without too much trouble. In working on the machine I haven't heard it make any noise, but I'll pay closer attention now.

Thanks,

Roger

Almost but not quite.
The solenoid jambs a plug into the end of the main jet so even if the float bowl is full of fuel, none can get into the engine.
It is to prevent the engine pumping out unburned fuel between the time the spark stops and the engine stops rotating.
Apparently this will prevent the world as we know ceasing to exist.
Now think of it, around 50,000 mowers in the USA with an average capacity of 500 cc.
The engine does around 5 revolutions before it stops so that is 0.5 L x 5 x 50,000 = 125,000 liters of unburned fuel vapour ( about 2000 gallons) going into the atmosphere every week .
Oh lord save us from our sins
Or the same amount as 10 jets with 4 engines taking off .
Only they do it 10 times a day
Like a lawnmower is really gong to make a difference.

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ahhhhh Bert San... You question the validity of governmental decisions aimed at protecting us from ourselves? Certainly you know that 'they' have 'our' best interests at heart! . . . LOL...

Probably not a discussion we'd better get into or we will be asked to leave the Forum for creating a political s**t storm...

Actually if your figures are correct (and I have no doubt they are) then I guess there really is a measurable environmental benefit.. Not to mention the savings to the individual owners who save a tiny bit of fuel every time they shut down their machines...

My problem is, I have to figure out if the little bugger is actually working! (I haven't gone out to the shop yet this morning, being lazy...)

I'll let you know what I learn when I get into it, (if anything!)

Roger

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ahhhhh Bert San... You question the validity of governmental decisions aimed at protecting us from ourselves? Certainly you know that 'they' have 'our' best interests at heart! . . . LOL...

Probably not a discussion we'd better get into or we will be asked to leave the Forum for creating a political s**t storm...

Actually if your figures are correct (and I have no doubt they are) then I guess there really is a measurable environmental benefit.. Not to mention the savings to the individual owners who save a tiny bit of fuel every time they shut down their machines...

My problem is, I have to figure out if the little bugger is actually working! (I haven't gone out to the shop yet this morning, being lazy...)

I'll let you know what I learn when I get into it, (if anything!)

Roger

Roger I sent you this link in your other posts (starters)

http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/briggs_intek_single_ohv_nikki_carb.asp
you may find this helpful I also asked for the model # of your mower ( look under the mowers seat for a sticker )

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Booba...

The Yardman is a Model 13AO772G055..

All is well! I got the engine running! I just cleaned out the carb where the fuel solenoid was screwed in and she runs like a clock.. (Well a 'rough' clock, but it runs.) Some debris got in the carb when the plastic cowling was removed from the engine.

Thanks for the help..

Roger

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Booba...

The Yardman is a Model 13AO772G055..

All is well! I got the engine running! I just cleaned out the carb where the fuel solenoid was screwed in and she runs like a clock.. (Well a 'rough' clock, but it runs.) Some debris got in the carb when the plastic cowling was removed from the engine.

Thanks for the help..

Roger

Here's your operators and parts MANUALS ( I hope )

https://www.partstree.com/parts/mtd...r-2008-walmart/hood-control-assembly-762-772/

http://www.mtdproducts.com/equipmen...oCode=03&modelNumber=13AO772G055&serialNumber ..... (click on the PDF links in this one )

THIS should be your service MANUAL .....http://troybilt.custhelp.com/ci/fattach/get/108619/0/filename/769_06667_700_series_riders.pdf

Last edited: