Briggs & Stratton 18.5 HP Carburator problem

Walt 2002

Threads
" Hey Senior.. Glad to see I'm not the only old duffer around here..."

Any of you 84 or more?

"Probably not a discussion we'd better get into or we will be asked to leave the Forum for creating a political s**t storm..." (gov. regs.)

Right.

Walt Conner

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Walt,

Nope... Not even 74 yet, but working on it... I didn't realize there was a cut off date... I guess I'm still just a youngster!! Yippeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!

Roger

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Boob-La....

I found the Yardman MTD manual! Thanks a million! I finally found a description of how all those safety switches work and was able to construct a wiring diagram.. Then I found a wiring diagram! At first the manual kept talking about a "OCR" module and that had me buffaloed as I hadn't seen anything like that. Then I discovered that my tractor has a "Standard Electrical System" (thank heavens) and everything fell into place after that. The only problem I have now (electrically, that is) are the headlights. They have no voltage to them. They should be on the same circuit as the fuel (after fire) solenoid. The wires are all enclosed in plastic wire loom, but I'll open that up and trace the wires down.

Thanks again for the manuals website, that is a great resource!

Roger

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Boob-La....

I found the Yardman MTD manual! Thanks a million! I finally found a description of how all those safety switches work and was able to construct a wiring diagram.. Then I found a wiring diagram! At first the manual kept talking about a "OCR" module and that had me buffaloed as I hadn't seen anything like that. Then I discovered that my tractor has a "Standard Electrical System" (thank heavens) and everything fell into place after that. The only problem I have now (electrically, that is) are the headlights. They have no voltage to them. They should be on the same circuit as the fuel (after fire) solenoid. The wires are all enclosed in plastic wire loom, but I'll open that up and trace the wires down.

Thanks again for the manuals website, that is a great resource!

Roger

Hey Rog, ...gettin hard to keep up with 3 threads ya got goin, I guess you got all the info I sent (posted) ....some on this thread ,some on that one ,P.M.s etc. etc. ( LOL ) I guess the carb. & eng. are on the back burner for now, as far as the headlights....... I don't know anybody that uses them... UNLESS they rigged up a powerful set of aftermarket lights.
Now about that tranny....... I had no idea MTD made their own trannys, seems in one case there are more than a hundred different models using the same trans. among their different brands / models, MTD, WHITE, YARD MACHINES, YARD MAN, etc. etc. I have'nt found a parts cross-reference manual and when you check the aftermarket sites you can find many different trans numbers that supersede or replace other numbers....... some prices, are reasonable, and I think putting that kind of money ( over $200.00 ) into an older used machine for 1 part is going overboard, consider a used tranny first, but that's risky too. Are you sure the trans IS bad ??? if not.... it could be linkage or some other problem. I think you should check the service manual, (hope it was the right one ) make sure you determine the type of trans you have and if you think you can repair it yourself, looking in the parts manuals ( partstree.com) --(ereplacementparts.com) the parts , even the housings did'nt seem overly expensive, you may want to give yourself a "project" ( LOL ) Lastly ( for-now) Not tryin to "blow out your candle" but.. you MIGHT ... consider putting the engine on a different used mower... it might actually be cheaper if you can find a used cheap unit , AND what condition is your deck in ???... ( ut-oh ) another thread ???.. (LOL ) Hell Rog... I'm writing a book here..... I better get outa here , later buddy ....... Boobala ..:wink:

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Boob-La...

Man you got that right! There seems to be a million different transaxles from a million different lawn tractors! A cross reference guide would be as thick as a NYC phone book!

Currently I'm leaning towards repair.. Someone suggested having the crack in the upper housing welded and after studying the manual you hooked me up with, I can see there are replaceable bushings at the ends of the axle. Assuming the gearing inside is all good, then having the housing welded would most likely be fairly inexpensive and the axle opening at the end of the housing, (which is current worn into an egg shape) could have any extra weld that came though rough ground out and then maybe finished smooth with 'liquid steel' and a new bushing installed.. As soon as the mood strikes me, I'm going to reread the manual on transaxle disassembly and take it apart.. I'll let you know how that goes.. Hey at the very worst, I'll end up with a bench covered with lots of parts.. right?

Roger

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Boob-La...

Man you got that right! There seems to be a million different transaxles from a million different lawn tractors! A cross reference guide would be as thick as a NYC phone book!

Currently I'm leaning towards repair.. Someone suggested having the crack in the upper housing welded and after studying the manual you hooked me up with, I can see there are replaceable bushings at the ends of the axle. Assuming the gearing inside is all good, then having the housing welded would most likely be fairly inexpensive and the axle opening at the end of the housing, (which is current worn into an egg shape) could have any extra weld that came though rough ground out and then maybe finished smooth with 'liquid steel' and a new bushing installed.. As soon as the mood strikes me, I'm going to reread the manual on transaxle disassembly and take it apart.. I'll let you know how that goes.. Hey at the very worst, I'll end up with a bench covered with lots of parts.. right?

Roger

Yeah Rog, I was going banannas clickin on the different models ,looking at their parts list for other trans #s .... I can't believe the way MTD does their parts numbers, I can see why they may not have a cross reference manual. Someone really screwed up that mess, (and I USED to think the manuals I used in the military were insane) I'm thinking you may have to call MTD support for info on what trans to use. Let me suggest ...... ANYTHING ... ANYTHING you work on ........ take tons of pictures .... (hope ya have a digital camera) its a lifesaver during re-assembly ..... check -out my picture albums ( my project & project 2 ) on my profile page , you can always delete them later , many times it has saved my "sit-down" .......at my age I can't remember all this stuff ( brain overload ya know ) ..:confused2: take pics all the way through... you will thank yourself for making your own manual, it really works ! By the way .... it's great workin with ya , thanks for the up-dates, work SAFELY and don't go stickin any knife blades in the receptacles ..:laughing: ..:laughing: ..later good buddy ...Boobala

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks Mark,

I've been using that site... Inside the tranny now... it's yucky to say the least and badly cracked and worn too!

Roger

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
COMING ATTRACTIONS !!!

just to up-date this thread..... Roger B ...... has performed the necessary repairs to the transaxle of his Yard-Man mower ..... currently he is creating havoc & mayhem in the Central Florida area while taking his annual getaway,... However upon his return
to the frozen tundras of Maine, ..... He will once again renew this thread ......related to his carburetor situation.
May we all wish Roger & wife a safe journey home as we prepare our libraries of knowledge to assist him in the
forthcoming " Battle of Beating the Briggs Carburetor " feature .... Ya'll have a good day now ... ya hear ?? ..:cool2:

P.S. If anyone knows how to turn a riding lawnmower into a "looks like a submarine to me" ideas .... please be ready to put them on the agenda ...as always .... your advice & comments are ALWAYS more than welcome ! .. Boobala ..:cool: ..:laughing:

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
COMING ATTRACTIONS !!!

May we all wish Roger & wife a safe journey home as we prepare our libraries of knowledge to assist him in the
forthcoming " Battle of Beating the Briggs Carburetor " feature .... Ya'll have a good day now ... ya hear ?? ..:cool2:

Boo-Boo,

You're too good to me.. What did I ever do to earn your undying help and assistance?

Hey! Bert-Man tells me there is a "front (or back) porch" place for generalizations and wanderings.. (Which we seem to have a tendency to do - well me anyway..) Maybe we could generate a new thread there and attract some additional contributors... Wha'Cha think about that???