scag wildcat engine going

trush

Forum Newbie
Threads
Going to need to replace my wildcat engine...I have the original 27 HP Kohler in it about 1500 hrs. On it .... looks like Briggs 26hp. Vanguard would be a good replacement....??I am a part time landscaper doing about 150 hrs. A year....... has anyone swapped this engine themselves.... my dealer wants 1600+ labor

trush

Forum Newbie
Threads
Also. I'm concerned about other main components going....everthing else is working...I just put a pto clutch in it.... how hard is it to replace the wheel motors and pumps...I'm pretty handy but I've never tore into these parts yet

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Search
Small Engine Warehouse
Small Engine Supplies
Repower
Surplus Centre.

At this time of year they are chockers with brand new superseeded & over ordered engines.
The top 3 all have instructions about how to replace the engines or links to sites that explain how to do it.
2 to 4 hours work tops.
You are better staying with the same brand of engine so it will plug strait in.
Every engine company uses a different style of plug.
Any engine with the same diameter & length of crankshaft will go into the hole but be wary of the position of the oil filter as on some they will be impossible to replace in your mower.
Fit one of the long extension hoses on the oil drain which will make oil changes clean & easy.
Also check the controls.
IF you stay with the same brand, the control pannel should transfer if it is not the same.
Some run 1 cable ( throttle + choke ) while others have a separate cable for each.
FWIW I charge my customers the price of the engine ( plus margin ) and 4 hours fitting, I keep the old engine or 6 hours if they want it back.

Mufflers are part of the mower, not the engine and if the mower company never used the engine you buy, a muffler that fits properly may not be available so will cost big time for a custom made unit.
Another good reason to stay with the same brand of engine.

A generic muffler for a twin goes about $ 50
A mower specific muffler can go anywhere up to $ 400