HRX217 won't run. Need help determining what is wrong

mckeand13

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / HRX217 won't run. Need help determining what is wrong
So that's a first-gen HRX, with a standard manual choke.

Step 1. Confirm the choke plate is fully opening and closing. Does the engine run/start smoother with the choke closed?
Step 2. Consider replacing the carb (full list price is only $16.23).
Step 3. Triple check the position and orientation of each gasket, spacer, insulator, etc. It is VERY easy to get one on upside down or backwards, and in many cases, the carb won't be able to vent.

Robert,

Thanks for the list of things to check.
1) The choke plate is fully opening and closing as the throttle lever enters/leaves that portion of the control
2) I did replace the carburetor with a brand new one from a Honda dealer. That did not result in any change
3) I checked positions and orientation of gaskets and such, confirming they are installed correctly. This problem started happening prior to having anything apart so I didn't think it was anything related to gaskets.

I drained the tank, added fresh gas, and still not really running. Still the coughing, sputtering, "idling" even with throttle wide open, etc. I couldn't get it to run regardless of choke, full throttle, idle. One time, It did start and run almost perfectly for about 15 seconds and then died. Wouldn't restart.

Is there anything I should be checking regarding the ignition? Could there be an issue there?

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
It sounds like you have something blocking fuel. Remove fuel line from carb and blow with low pressure compressed air back to gas tank. See what comes out.

mckeand13

Forum Newbie
Threads
It sounds like you have something blocking fuel. Remove fuel line from carb and blow with low pressure compressed air back to gas tank. See what comes out.

Did that already. Fuel flows very fast and will drain the tank quickly. Supply shouldn't be an issue.

It can't be tank venting either as most of the time it won't run enough to even begin creating a vacuum in the tank.