18 or 20" push mowers...

turbofiat124

Threads
I've got this old push mower that belonged to my grandmother. I don't know if it has the original engine or not but it's older than dirt.

It has either an 18 or 20" deck with "Western Auto" stamped on it and a Wisconsin engine. It does have four wheels (not the 3 wheel kind).

The funny thing is, the "kill switch" is a bendable piece of metal attached underneath one of the cylinder head bolts that when pressed against the end of the spark plug, kills the engine! When I mowed her yard with it when I was a teenager (I'm 46+ years old now), I used to think it was factory. I got to looking at it one day and it appears someone had made it!

Did push mowers ever come with this sort of kill switch design? This mower also has some sort of automatic choke and a single speed (no throttle control).

Just curious but are these things worth anything? Reason being is the engine runs great although leaks oil from the head gasket. I would imagine since the head does not have oil galleries, the gasket is probably leaking and if it was sealed, the oil leaking past the valve guides would probably be burned.

I'm just curious if this thing is worth selling? I don't use it and it's taking up some space inside my yard barn. I'd like to get rid of it but just can't stand the thought of hauling it off to the dump.

I imagine the reasoning behind such a small deck was perhaps this mower was made before self propelled mowers and made it easier to push? Or was better at getting in hard to get areas? Why such a small deck?

Next week I need to mulch some leaves and will try to dig it out of my yard barn and snap some photos.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Good post, I'd keep it & get it running. I do believe older mowers had that type of kill switch.

deck~dragger

Threads
Some old mowers had that type of flip kill switch, they were factory. Sounds like yours may have had the switch lost and have a rigged one. I did not like those things, since I don't enjoy being shocked. Used to use a stick to flip them. You may luck up and find a replacement on the interweb.
Someone here will post a link.