Anybody use OPTI-2?

turbofiat124

Threads
Well... OK.. Lol

Does your state have emission testing? I'm trying to figure out how it would pass, being a two-stroke. They've outlawed my favorite lawnmower, how come you get a pass?

For that matter, how is it legal to import and register? When I was stationed over there I looked into bringing a 3 series beemer back home. The problem wasn't on their end, but our end back here. The lack of "objects are closer than they appear" mirrors, non-US spec headlights, bumpers, Kmh speedometer, and a bunch of other specifications meant they would not allow its importation to the US.

Now this was a fully modern car, a good car. How is it that you were able to get that thing registered in the US? The body is made of compressed wool and cardboard.

It's 30+ years old, that's why. Once a car is 30 years old, it's exempt from any importation requirements. I didn't have to do anything to it to make it "legal" except for the seat belts. I could get away with non compliant seat belts until a cop pulls me over.

You can also register a 30+ year "barn find" in TN like a Camaro if you have no title. So the Trabant sort of falls under the same law.

TN doesn't do any emission or safety checks testing anyway. Otherwise my 98 Chvey van would fail. The check engine light has been on for over 5 years. Well they do a sniff test in Nashville and Memphis but those are the only two cities.

I had a chance to buy a 1991 Trabant which had the 4 stroke VW 1.1 engine that was already here.

But because the car was not 30 years old, I could not register it nor could the guy who imported it.

Sanchenring was not aware of the what was to come so they upgraded the car around 1988 and built a few thousand of these with 4 stroke engines and floor shifters among other improvements.

Gotta ask. Why not just drive to another state and buy whatever mower they have banned in Iowa? Is there a lawnmower police in your state that monitors this kind of stuff?

Last edited: